Sony Bundling PSP Go With Rock Band Unplugged?

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Sony Bundling PSP Go With Rock Band Unplugged?

Best Buy is listing the PSP Go as coming packaged with a voucher for Rock Band Unplugged, something which could potentially take some of the sting out of the handheld's hefty price tag.

The PSP Go doesn't exactly have a value-minded price tag. For Sony, that could be because it has a "Best Buy listing [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92735-Sony-PSP-Go-Costs-More-Because-of-a-Premium] is accurate, the system won't be packaged alone - it'll come with a copy of Rock Band Unplugged.

"Includes PSPgo system, USB cable, AC adapter and Rock Band Unplugged voucher," Best Buy's listing says. Naturally, it's a voucher to download the game and not a copy of the game itself, since the PSP Go is kinda, you know, all about being all digital and thus doesn't have a drive for physical media.

With Rock Band Unplugged currently retailing for around 30 bucks, this could make the PSP Go a $220 value, give or take (and if you actually want Rock Band Unplugged), and maybe a bit easier for your wallet to swallow.

GameSpot [http://www.gamespot.com/news/6214813.html] notes that the Unplugged listing only appears on the Best Buy site and not Amazon or GameStop, so this could be a retailer-exclusive deal, but I think it'd be in Sony's best interest to bundle something in with the machine, wherever it's sold.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
God damnit, Keane, are you trying to give me a heart attack? First Persona [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.129204#2793203] now this? I think I'm having a seizure or something.

iblis666

Sep 8, 2008
the only way id buy a psp go is if they let me download copies of my umd psp games into it other than that i hope that the normal psp can handle the psp go's games or the original psp user base might be unhappy

DRADIS C0ntact

Mar 26, 2009
iblis666 said:
i hope that the normal psp can handle the psp go's games or the original psp user base might be unhappy
It's been said that after the PSP Go is released, all future new game releases will simultaneously be available in UMD or downloadable format. But even if that's just an empty promise, the normal PSP can download games off of PSN, so yes, it will handle all of the games.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Every time I read about the PSP from you guys, I want to buy it more. And I'm on a budget. Damn you News Room! *Shakes fist*

iblis666

Sep 8, 2008
DRADIS C0ntact said:
iblis666 said:
i hope that the normal psp can handle the psp go's games or the original psp user base might be unhappy
It's been said that after the PSP Go is released, all future new game releases will simultaneously be available in UMD or downloadable format. But even if that's just an empty promise, the normal PSP can download games off of PSN, so yes, it will handle all of the games.
well thats good i havent been able to find that info since im thinking of getting the psp 3000 after my old 1000's joystick broke off

DRADIS C0ntact

Mar 26, 2009
iblis666 said:
DRADIS C0ntact said:
iblis666 said:
well thats good i havent been able to find that info since im thinking of getting the psp 3000 after my old 1000's joystick broke off
Ah...nevermind, I was slightly wrong. Just found the link for it. http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/04/sony-working-on-good-will-program-to-give-digital-copies-of-yo/

If you happen to like your discs, Koller said UMDs aren't going by the wayside so long as the PSP is still around, but he expects digital to start taking an increasing share. Looking to the future, he confirmed all first-party titles and most third-party titles (by the developers' own volition, not a mandate) will be available as digital downloads day and date with the UMD hard copies, and yeah, despite the reduced shipping and manufacturing costs, it'll be for the same price, too.
So while UMD format will still be supported, it will be the developers' choice whether or not to release the UMD simultaneously with the digital download. Still, I have a PSP 3000 and I'm not trading it in for a PSP Go. I actually prefer the way the 3000 looks. The Go looks too fragile to me. I'm afraid I'd break it. Plus memory sticks are reasonably priced now. You can get a 16GB memory stick on Amazon for $70 USD.

Strider_07

Aug 5, 2009
Still not sure I'll buy it, it looks kind of uncomfortable to use. My PSP Phat forces me into enough weird hand positions.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
yah bundling a game in with it sounds like a good idea to me. Still, couldn't they have just gone with a $220 price point for the Go and make several optional bundles at the current price tag at release? that would've worked just as well.

JoeyTheItalian

Jun 28, 2009
Each day that I hear more about the Go! I get a bit more agitated with Sony. I own a PSP-3000 and enjoy it. I would not rule out buying a Go! down the line, but there is just not enough that is new or different to warrant the premium that is asked.

Even if RockBand is bundled in (I already own the game) I don't see the value. As some above have already mentioned, the price point should have been lower to make a switch more reasonable.

Like many who own a current PSP, I am going to wait and see what Sony does to remedy those users, who have been loyal and bought a large UMD library, and also how the digital distribution for upcoming and past games go.

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
Keane Ng said:
If you want a PSP Go,
Be prepared to fork over some dough,
But don't completely expect to just be paying for a new handheld.
Why did you have to end the rhyming? It was fun.
Can you try and do a rhyming newspost one day?

Lord_Jaroh

Ad-Free Finally!
Apr 24, 2007
Why not offer a voucher for a free game of your choice? Still too expensive, and I'll wait for the PSP2 myself, but I can't see that option working all that well. Those who wanted Rock Band Unplugged already have it, for the most part...

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
JoeyTheItalian said:
Each day that I hear more about the Go! I get a bit more agitated with Sony. I own a PSP-3000 and enjoy it. I would not rule out buying a Go! down the line, but there is just not enough that is new or different to warrant the premium that is asked.

Even if RockBand is bundled in (I already own the game) I don't see the value. As some above have already mentioned, the price point should have been lower to make a switch more reasonable.

Like many who own a current PSP, I am going to wait and see what Sony does to remedy those users, who have been loyal and bought a large UMD library, and also how the digital distribution for upcoming and past games go.
I wouldn't say that the PSP Go is targeted to existing PSP users like yourself. The Go is mostly targeted for people who don't have a PSP already, like myself, so they don't really have anything to transfer.

MK Tha Rebel

Jun 12, 2009
Well that's all fine and dandy but I'm still not RE-BUYING all my games, and if Sony decides to stop using UMDs (or I decide to be lazy and just download the game from home) I'll just buy extra memory sticks. But for anyone who doesn't already have a PSP, this one...um...it looks cool.

JoeyTheItalian

Jun 28, 2009
Jumplion said:
JoeyTheItalian said:

I wouldn't say that the PSP Go is targeted to existing PSP users like yourself. The Go is mostly targeted for people who don't have a PSP already, like myself, so they don't really have anything to transfer.
I would disagree and say that the PSP Go! is targeted to current users and new users alike. There is a large install base of those who currently or have in the past owned a PSP. Sony wants those users who own a current PSP to eventually switch to a PSP GO!. I feel as though there is not a justification for those who own a PSP or those like you too buy into a product that has some limitations that the current PSP does not have.

Don't get me wrong, the new PSP Go! looks like a good product, but there are some things that irk users and non-users alike.