Preview: Aion

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Preview: Aion

Aion is a beautiful game with more potential under the hood than is visible at first glance.

Read Full Article

headshotcatcher

Feb 27, 2009
Good preview but all I can say about the game Aion is meh. Aerial combat doesnt really appeal to me and it seems it's going the way of Age of Conan with the 'You are a big hero' thing. When theres thousands of big heroes running around it kinda loses its flair you see. The graphics are cool though and the big degree of character customization looks cool. I guess I'll just have to see whether or not its cool enough to warrant a buy.

SirSchmoopy

Apr 15, 2008
It's just guild wars repackaged.
There is zero innovation and the appeal of the game won't last past it's leveling curve.

There is NOTHING under the hood of this game if you have played NCSoft titles before but I mean if you haven't then you might have some fun with it but don't expect it to last.

AliMck

ReRandomized
Jul 28, 2009
dunno looking into it when it goes live we get patch 1.5 it seems which adds in a lot of content for the mid to end game. Which smooths things out and adds in new stuff at end game (atm the last 5 levels gain you no new skills, 1.5 changes that). Will be interesting to watch and see how it progresses. It wont kill WoW, but I suspect it will be fairly healthy.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
SirSchmoopy said:
There is zero innovation and the appeal of the game won't last past it's leveling curve.

There is NOTHING under the hood of this game if you have played NCSoft titles before but I mean if you haven't then you might have some fun with it but don't expect it to last.
That's entirely possible. Like I said, it was just the first ten levels. While the game held up pretty well there, I have no idea if it'll improve beyond that or falter as you level up. I can certainly see it being the latter.

spuddyt

Nov 22, 2008
Although I like the idea of flying, and I do agree it looks pretty, it simply won't be enough to topple WoW or even draw in a small but respectable income without something more.

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
I can already tell it won't run on me Dell laptop. Guess it's time to rob the liquor stores save my pennies to upgrade my game rig.

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
SirSchmoopy said:

I've played GuildWars for four years and I find it different enough to enjoy. GuildWars was pretty much Weapon/8 Skills/Team build, and that's your lot. Aion played MUCH differently.

The only thing that seems to cling it's claws in from GuildWars was the skillbar, and even that is larger, more complex and the fact you have 9(and then sub-bar things) of them instead of one.

Aerial combat does exist Funk. It's a whole different style, but it's dragged down by the flight limit (though it is immensely amusing to watch some guy you've been duelling in the air suddenly run out of steam and plummet to his death.

I only played to level 22, but it was a good experience. From what I've seen in previews of the 1.5 patch and the Korean updates, the endgame stuff is better than the beginning stuff. Flying over erupting volcanoes before jumping over rivers of lava to chase down a flying mob? Yes please.

Midniqht

Beer Quaffer
Jul 10, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
SirSchmoopy said:

That's entirely possible. Like I said, it was just the first ten levels. While the game held up pretty well there, I have no idea if it'll improve beyond that or falter as you level up. I can certainly see it being the latter.
I agree with the article, and this is considering I've played well beyond the first 10 levels. I played the Chinese version with an english crack for a good amount of time and in my opinion, it just gets better. You get to some really cool stuff later, and aerial combat sometimes becomes a very useful strategy in taking out enemies. Like most MMOs, it does require the typical level-grinding sometimes, but there's much more to be seen in my opinion.

And whoever said something about WoW above, don't make assumptions. WoW is in-fact an MMO supergiant, but it's getting old in years. It's been around for awhile, and I've met a lot of people in game in Aion that left WoW for this.

TheFacelessOne

Feb 13, 2009
Man...everything is freaking taunting me. Every time I try to start Aion my piece of crap computer goes to hell...

*Cries.*

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
to all you beta users ; is aion like guild wars in the way that is a single player game whit zones where you can talk to other people or like almost all the others where you share the world

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
swaki said:
to all you beta users ; is aion like guild wars in the way that is a single player game whit zones where you can talk to other people or like almost all the others where you share the world
I really hope it's not. That ruined Guild Wars for me.

Anyone know when it comes out, by the way?

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Cpt_Oblivious said:
swaki said:

Check their website. I think it said some time in September.

Will this game have a subscription fee? Or will it be free after you buy it?

Crimsane

Apr 11, 2009
Eh. It's a prettier, less shitty version of Rohan, from what I could tell. One that will cost you $15/mo when it's out in September (22-25, depending on where you live.)

PieMaker

Oct 7, 2008
swaki said:
Nope.. there's a lot of pve content, but it's mostly open world, which means you're able to do it with other people. And after level 20 the open-world becomes pvp open-world, where asmodians/elyos can come to your land through 'rifts' and do some mayhem.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
Internet Kraken said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:
swaki said:

Check their website. I think it said some time in September.

Will this game have a subscription fee? Or will it be free after you buy it?
subscription fee and its out 25/09 at least in Europe.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
swaki said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:
swaki said:

Aion is a full-fledged traditional MMOG, not like GWars/Diablo.

Leaper

Jun 3, 2009
Well I'm not really into MMOs, but this one looks really ineresting. I love it's art style, combat looks good. Thinking of preordering it, but might wait to get into beta and try it for myself.

And, as far as I know, it's Pay to Play, that is you pay for play hours.

crooked_ferret

Jul 30, 2009
Nothing will topple wow, most the people playing wow at this point are addicted to the game.
I wouldn't be surprised if many of them do without things just to chunk more money to blizzard.

The key to unseating WoW certainly lies in adding new dynamics that haven't apparently really been conceived yet. I am glad to at least see mmo's starting to improve the quality of the graphics, Aion at least seems to lend itself a bit of atmosphere which obviously could lead to better immersion.

Honestly I know the basics of combat in mmo's need to be made more interesting, make the grind less typical and predictable. The last 3 I've played personally I was able to create a "kill mob" macro that would actually target and kill the nearest mob with the press of one button. ...I don't know I guess I'm trying to inspire some brainstorming on this front but I feel I have failed miserably so I will stop there.

Midniqht

Beer Quaffer
Jul 10, 2009
Leaper said:
Well I'm not really into MMOs, but this one looks really ineresting. I love it's art style, combat looks good. Thinking of preordering it, but might wait to get into beta and try it for myself.

And, as far as I know, it's Pay to Play, that is you pay for play hours.
In North America, you'll be paying $15/month. While playing the Chinese version (which was a much better payment plan), you payed for a chunk of hours (like $10 for 148 hours playtime) which only counted while you were logged in. It was much more efficient. The next beta is August 14th, but it's the closed type, so you'd have to preorder if you wanted into it that quickly.