One Man DevTeam Crafts Gorgeous 2-D Adventure

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
One Man DevTeam Crafts Gorgeous 2-D Adventure

What do you get when you combine stunning 2-D animation, anthropomorphic animals and one incredibly dedicated man? Stunning beat 'em up Dust: An Elysian Tail.

For the last eight years, Dust: An Elysian Tail creator Dean Dodrill has been single-handedly crafting an animated feature film set in his world of anthropomorphic creatures.

While the game shares a universe and art style with the film, Dodrill claims it is a spin-off at best, explicitly stating on the game's website [http://www.elysiantail.com/] that "the feature film and video game are independent of one another."

Even so, the game does share another important feature with the film: it clearly demonstrates Dodrill's intense focus.

Dodrill began work on the game a mere seven months ago, only one month after he took up coding in Microsoft's XNA game development suite. As a result, his game is now entered in the 2009 iteration of Microsoft's Dream Build Play contest [http://www.dreambuildplay.com/main/default.aspx], which could earn Dodrill a share of $75,000 in cash and prizes and a lucrative development contract with the firm's Xbox Live division.

Honestly, I don't know whether to be more stunned that the XNA development suite can churn out such amazing, Disney-esque visuals or that this game was almost entirely crafted by one guy. He admits to hiring outside composers to craft the game's tunes, but I'm going to assume that was simply in the interest of meeting the contest's August 6 deadline.

Had Dodrill been given a few more months to prepare, I get the feeling he could have written an entire symphonic accompaniment, or at the very least taught himself enough molecular biology to resurrect Johann Strauss to do the work for him.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
First The Dishwasher: Dead Samurai and now this? Wow! Say what you will about the XNA development suite, but it sure has attracted some amazing talent to the world of gaming!

...and by the way:

[HEADING=2]THAT GAME LOOKS AWESOME![/HEADING]

I try not to let a game's visuals mar my perception of a game, but when they're THAT good, I can't help but drool.....[small]a little[/small].....

plastic_window

Jun 29, 2008
Wow, I'm impressed. 7 months? One man?! That's incredible.

Those graphics and animations are really detailed and beautiful. Whatever wins that Microsoft competition will have deserved it - this looks like a pretty awesome game right now, and anything that beats it has a its work cut out for it.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Anyone else reminded of Vanillaware? Different graphic style, sure. But the game looks like it plays a lot like Odin Sphere and Muramasa.

JRCB

Jan 11, 2009
Wow. That's amazing. All in a span of seven months? That's really impressive! I wonder how long the game is?

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
Yeah, this better get put on XBLA (or, failing that, Sony better jump on this).

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
Does anyone know when this will be available and for how much? This looks like it could be a really solid XBLA title.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
*High pitched whine* Damn, I hope this will somehow make it's way to PS3, or at the very least PC, it looks outstanding. Though the way the character walks really annoys me for some reason...

sneak_copter

Nov 3, 2008
Mstrswrd said:
Nah, it's Microsoft's competition and any entrants have to sign a form declaring that if it wins the game will be exclusively avalible on XBLA.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
sneak_copter said:
Mstrswrd said:
Nah, it's Microsoft's competition and any entrants have to sign a form declaring that if it wins the game will be exclusively avalible on XBLA.
I know. I was saying what I said in more of a "In case he looses and Microsoft decides they don't want the game," kind of situation.

Leroy Frederick

Jan 27, 2009
Amazing stuff. If this plays anywhere as well as it looks, I'd be surprised if doesn't take home some share of contest prize at the least.

Walrus42

Apr 18, 2008
I only have one question. Why does the bat have breasts? I'll never understand furries.

Lord_Ascendant

Jan 14, 2008
This game looks amazing. Blows away Braid and Blueberry Garden. Is the movie its based on of the same title or is it just Elysian Tale?

MasterSqueak

May 10, 2009
I was unaware that good graphics were the kind that makes your eyes hurt.

One game I won't be playing.