Twitter and Facebook Hit With Denial of Service Attacks

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Twitter and Facebook Hit With Denial of Service Attacks

Users of leading social networking sites Facebook and Twitter experienced difficulty yesterday as the services came under attack.

It's not been a great week for Twitter. First it gets sued [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93686-Twitter-Sued-Over-Patent-Violations] and then it gets hit with a denial of service attack [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial-of-service_attack] , forcing the site offline for several hours and then causing it to run slowly for several more hours as engineers got everything back in order again.

Twitter has taken pains to reassure users that no personal data was compromised during the attack and in a statement on its official blog said:

"We've worked hard to achieve technical stability and we're proud of our Engineering and Operations teams. Nevertheless, today's massive, globally distributed attack was a reminder that there's still lots of work ahead."

Facebook also came under attack at about the same time, although weathered the storm better, with the site still working for most people. Facebook spokeswoman Kathleen Loughlin was also quick to reassure people that their personal information was safe:

"No user data was at risk and we have restored full access to the site for most users," she said. "We're continuing to monitor the situation to ensure that users have the fast and reliable experience they've come to expect from Facebook."

While it could be coincidence that both sites were attacked on the same day it seems unlikely, and given the relatively soft nature of the targets, my money is on someone doing it for 'lulz'. On the other hand, Twitter's role in getting news out of Iran during the demonstrations over the results of the presidential elections means that there's a chance that this might be something much more serious.

Source: Wired [http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2009/08/twitter-apparently-down/]

walls of cetepedes

Jul 12, 2009
oneniesteledain said:
Oh no, the Revolutionary Guard is nuking teh intarwebz!!!!!!!!!111
For some reason, that just made me laugh so hard.

Luckily, I couldn't care less about Twitter.

Krakyn

Mar 3, 2009
All I have to say is good on whoever attacked those sites. Social networking sites are possibly the most damaging thing the internet has ever given us.

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
I'm pretty sure the attackers are going to be caught. Especially as they've attacked such well founded websites. They should be rather easy to track unless they're into the ancient art of Phone Phreaking. In which case it's far harder to track due to the fact they can use other peoples lines.

Anybody else suspecting Myspace? Hahaha.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
oneniesteledain said:
That actually made me laugh. Well done :) And welcome to the Escapist, mind the bodies and say hello to our friendly troll George.

[small]Note: To anyone wondering what keeps happening to the trolls and why the name keeps changing, do not look to the pile of bodies in the storage closet. Seriously. I mean it. Don't say I didn't warn you.[/small]

On topic: I don't use Twitter, but I do use Facebook as a way of communicating with my university friends, especially now since we're trying to sort out arrangements for the house we're renting together (not an easy task without Facebook when there's ten of us living all over the country). I have to agree with nilcypher, it's probably just the lulz. Looks like they got bored over in (ERROR - RULE ONE) and decided that a Facebook/Twitter attack would be fun. However, if it is anything to do with Iran (not entirely unfeasible) then we should probably be a bit more worried...

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
Twitter is for twits. It even says so in the name. So I could care less about it. And Facebook was running fine for me.

I'd blame 4chan before I would anything in Iran. Iran could just block the stuff in their home country, just like they do for anything that they disagree with. They don't need to attack Twitter itself.

skeanthu

Nov 16, 2007
I was full of great 140 character rants yesterday. Now all that genius is lost.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
It's likely just some /b/tard having fun.

But still... the suspicion exists that something truly malicious happened.

oneniesteledain

Aug 5, 2009
Krakyn said:
All I have to say is good on whoever attacked those sites. Social networking sites are possibly the most damaging thing the internet has ever given us.
What, 4chan doesn't count?

oneniesteledain

Aug 5, 2009
Trivun said:
oneniesteledain said:
That actually made me laugh. ell done :) And welcome to the Escapist, mind the bodies and say hello to our friendly troll George.

[small]Note: To anyone wondering what keeps happening to the trolls and why the name keeps changing, do not look to the pile of bodies in the storage closet. Seriously. I mean it. Don't say I didn't warn you.[/small]

On topic: I don't use Twitter, but I do use Facebook as a way of communicating with my university friends, especially now since we're trying to sort out arrangements for the house we're renting together (not an easy task without Facebook when there's ten of us living all over the country). I have to agree with nilcypher, it's probably just the lulz. Looks like they got bored over in (ERROR - RULE ONE) and decided that a Facebook/Twitter attack would be fun. However, if it is anything to do with Iran (not entirely unfeasible) then we should probably be a bit more worried...
Thanks. I've actually been coming here for almost a year now, but I didn't get an account until the other day cause I saw a thread I really had to post on.

I just got Twitter, but I only update every few days. And I never do it from my phone, which to me seems quite silly. I use it more like a quick-blog, than to say my every thought and action. I'll say, "Oh, off to play so and so game." or "Such and such movie was really good."

For the record, I did NOT just "tweet" something saying, "Posting on Escapist forums...!"

So, I'm new here. Who sells the Acme Troll-b-Gone?

Maveroid

Apr 22, 2009
If somebody attacked Twitter,Facebook etc. because of the information that was distributed by certain members of these sites,it wouldn't surprise me at all.
As long as they only attack these certain sites,however, I don't really care,because it won't help them prevent the spread of knowledge.

I don't post any important stuff on facebook or twitter that I care about,if everything got deleted because of an attack I wouldn't complain,it's the internet after all,and shit happens.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
oneniesteledain said:
Trivun said:
oneniesteledain said:
That actually made me laugh. ell done :) And welcome to the Escapist, mind the bodies and say hello to our friendly troll George.

Thanks. I've actually been coming here for almost a year now, but I didn't get an account until the other day cause I saw a thread I really had to post on.

I just got Twitter, but I only update every few days. And I never do it from my phone, which to me seems quite silly. I use it more like a quick-blog, than to say my every thought and action. I'll say, "Oh, off to play so and so game." or "Such and such movie was really good."

For the record, I did NOT just "tweet" something saying, "Posting on Escapist forums...!"

Hmmm, don't recognise the brand, but the Troll-b-Gone is usually sold by Cpt. Oblivious. He's running a pretty good business from the Escapist basement that sells anti-troll products including garlic and silver pendants. You may want to be careful of his side business though, if you value your taste buds. That's the hot-sausages-inna-bun storage facility down there.

oneniesteledain

Aug 5, 2009
Trivun said:
oneniesteledain said:
Trivun said:
oneniesteledain said:

Hmmm, don't recognise the brand, but the Troll-b-Gone is usually sold by Cpt. Oblivious. He's running a pretty good business from the Escapist basement that sells anti-troll products including garlic and silver pendants. You may want to be careful of his side business though, if you value your taste buds. That's the hot-sausages-inna-bun storage facility down there.
Good to know. Well, let's just hope he doesn't get hit with DoS attacks, too!

Zenode

Jan 21, 2009
Lol instant thought was "bloody 4chan", but it doesnt seem like it

as you said it probably was some people doing it for the lulz.