The Stupid Season

Apr 28, 2008
I'm suprised everyone is so worked up because games are being pushed back. Istn't that a good thing? Because now I don't have to rush through a game to get to the next, I can enjoy what I have now.

Its like opening a candy bar, taking a bite, then moving onto another, then repeating 12 times.

not a zaar

Dec 16, 2008
A nice analysis, but this is by no means a gaming phenomenon, it's just how this shit goes down in America.

Avernus

Jun 10, 2009
Oddly enough, I was under a different impression thank to an article I read in Computer Gaming World many years ago. The gist of it was that gamers have a tendancy to buy good games when they come out, no matter the time of year. I have to admit, I never took the Deer Hunter crowd into consideration, nor a publishers desire to put the glitzy box with the shallow content out at X-Mas in an effort to garnish extra sales.

Good article Shamus... I do want to ask, any idea if Console games are affected more than PC's by the X-mas bonanza?

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
half of all games get sold during December?, is that counting online purchases as well?, is it only statics from a certain country or is it world wide?.

and could you possibly refer me to the source of that information, i am very skeptic that such a big part of the gaming community are 10-16 year olds who can only get a game that one time a year when their parents buy them one.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
This is why I am glad that I am a bit behind on the gaming curve. I rarely buy the newest titles because pre-release and early reviews tend to be as you said "thin." I also tend to save some good money when following this. (Although there have been exceptions to this, I was a moron and bought the Legendary edition of Halo 3) When everyone is trying to find the hot new Christmas release, I am buying the better games from the 2nd and 3rd quarter that just dropped in price, and in the early to mid part of the next year I buy the previous hot holiday titles for a discount. I am also all about quality, I don't play 50 new games a year, more like 10 - 15 so it works for me.

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Avernus said:
Oddly enough, I was under a different impression thank to an article I read in Computer Gaming World many years ago. The gist of it was that gamers have a tendancy to buy good games when they come out, no matter the time of year. I have to admit, I never took the Deer Hunter crowd into consideration, nor a publishers desire to put the glitzy box with the shallow content out at X-Mas in an effort to garnish extra sales.

Good article Shamus... I do want to ask, any idea if Console games are affected more than PC's by the X-mas bonanza?
Wow. Good question.

I'm tempted to say PC, because that's where I see most of the Deer Hunter titles, along with those "game packs" (100 crappy games in 1!) and the other shovelware. The PC bargain bin is a little "bigger". But I'm not sure. A case could be made that the shovelware Wii games are just as numerous. I've never tried to compare.

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
As long as all these pushed backed games dont all come out at once, a nice and steady release for all of them will allow me to buy the ones i would like to buy, been a long time since i bought a ps3 game, been holding out for MAG, batman and OF2, it would be nice is some new games were released a while before december

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
swaki said:
half of all games get sold during December?, is that counting online purchases as well?, is it only statics from a certain country or is it world wide?.

and could you possibly refer me to the source of that information, i am very skeptic that such a big part of the gaming community are 10-16 year olds who can only get a game that one time a year when their parents buy them one.
Clarification: 50% of retail business happens in December. I'm extrapolating games from that, which is just a guess. And, no - I'm not taking DLC into account.

Ralackk

Aug 12, 2008
It looks likes its closer to 33% in 2007 for video games this isn't including the pc though and the DS appears to have bucked the trend a little that year.

http://www.shacknews.com/screenshots.x?gallery=9069&id=112379#img112379

Apr 28, 2008
Plus, I'm sure that if they sold some games, like say Modern Warfare 2 and ODST at a different time of year, they would still sell faster than chocolate at a fat camp.

And besides, games with recognizable brand names like Call of Duty will sell no matter what. If brand name is as important as you say, and if its marketed correctly, then it will sell many copies no matter what. Hell, I haven't seen much marketing for Modern Warfare 2 and God of War 3 yet those games will have sales well into the millions, because of their brand names.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
Shamus Young said:
swaki said:

Clarification: 50% of retail business happens in December. I'm extrapolating games from that, which is just a guess. And, no - I'm not taking DLC into account.
online purchases aren't just the rest of the game which the developers holds for ransom, personally i haven't bought a game in a store for the last 3 years i prefer either downloading it from steam, xbla etc. or buy it via different websites depending on whom offers me the best price, and i only know one guy who does buy games at stores and thats because of the employee discount, when it comes to games i really believe that the majority of them gets sold via the world wide web.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Irridium said:
I'm suprised everyone is so worked up because games are being pushed back. Istn't that a good thing? Because now I don't have to rush through a game to get to the next, I can enjoy what I have now.

Its like opening a candy bar, taking a bite, then moving onto another, then repeating 12 times.
The problem is that all these delayed games are gonna clutter up Q1 2010. So instead of having a crowded Christmass, we'll have a crowded Valentine's day.

All them girlfriends are gonna have to come second, I guess.

Apr 28, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
Irridium said:

The problem is that all these delayed games are gonna clutter up Q1 2010. So instead of having a crowded Christmass, we'll have a crowded Valentine's day.

OR, you could get those girlfriends to get those games for you, and play them together.

Its fullproof!

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Irridium said:
Casual Shinji said:
Irridium said:

OR, you could get those girlfriends to get those games for you, and play them together.

Its fullproof!
Yeah, but then they'll just end up buying Wii Sports Resort by mistake.

And then they'll be lying on my floor in seductive poses, puring like kittens. Or feeding me grapes and waving gaint fans.

I can't play games like that.

XSA37

Aug 5, 2009
Great point there. Seriously, if I see one more holiday season where no game developer seems to care, it's going to be scary. Wait... I just got it. Maybe, just maybe, developers should put out good titles during Christmas and good titles during the year. Problem Solved.

far_wanderer

Oct 17, 2008
This now has me curious as to whether or not anyone has ever made a serious effort at separating the release date from the major marketing push. So, quietly release a game when nothing much else is coming out for the dedicated gamers who will already know about it, and then wait until shopping season to pour money into reaching the uninformed masses.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Shamus Young said:
...but who are publishers going to listen to? Us, or a pile of money?

Sorry, seemed far too appropriate.

I really enjoyed this article, but then I love any article that combines marketing and video games. I find it odd that there's only one major gaming season. I'd imagine summer games would do at least slightly well for the same reason the term "summer blockbuster" exists.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Irridium said:
You do realize that you do not need to buy games immediately when they come out right? Nothing saying that you can't take your time and enjoy one game before moving to another, except fad stupidity.

On topic, it is pretty nasty. I hate the Christmas season anymore. People are generally idiots by nature, but it becomes most apparent when there's snow and commercialized pressures involved. We, as informed gamers, can do little to stem the flow of poor consumer choices when it comes to our beloved media.