IGDA Agrees to Langdell Meeting

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
IGDA Agrees to Langdell Meeting

With pressure mounting, the intense criticism [http://www.igda.org] in recent weeks.

Tim Langdell has been waving around threats of copyright infringement lawsuits for years but his antics only gained widespread recognition in recent months, driven by his rather ironic success in having the hit iPhone game Edge [http://www.mobigame.net/] removed from the App Store. His addition to the Board of Directors at the IGDA has also brought with it increased and almost certainly unwelcome scrutiny, not to mention a grassroots effort to have him removed.

That effort has now apparently met with some success; while Langdell's removal is far from certain, the Board has accepted and agreed to a petition calling for a "special meeting" to discuss the affair.

Unfortunately for anyone hoping for a quick resolution, there's still a considerable amount of ground to cover before the meeting can even take place. According to an email sent to IGDA members, the group has never actually held a special meeting of this nature before and has therefore decided to put together a task force of Board members to come up with appropriate "methodology and procedures" for holding such a meeting to ensure that it is legally unassailable.

The IGDA appears to be so anxious to do everything by the book in large part due to the unofficial mass email [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93661-IGDA-Disavows-Langdell-Email] that went out earlier this week, calling on members to sign the petition. In a new email sent to members, IGDA Co-Chair Tobi Saulnier said the use of an "exploit" to send out the email regarding the petition "complicated an already complex situation."

While some members appeared frustrated by what they see as an overly cautious approach by the Board, Corvus Elrod, the author of the original petition [http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=68SOsjTK_2f9qJvOQ_2b2Zw7_2fA_3d_3d] calling for a vote on Langdell's removal, said it was necessary to ensure that any decisions reached by the group will hold up against legal challenges. "We've never done this before, and what needs to be done to ensure it is legally a meeting isn't clear in the by-laws," he said.

"Let the Board use whatever language they need to move the process forward," he added. "We need to work with the Board to ensure this happens in an incontestable fashion."

There's still a long way to go before a vote on Langdell is held and even when it happens, there's no guarantee he'll be turfed out as a result. But progress is being made; meanwhile, given his history of wielding the courts like a blunt instrument, moving ahead slowly to ensure all the rules are followed is most definitely prudent.

Xvito

Aug 16, 2008
I hope they'll tell him to sit his ass down and be quiet. Seriously, people like him make me sick! [small]And he's not very good-looking either...[/small]

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
I'm not surprised they're moving slowly, Langdell probably has every lawyer he can reach sniffing every action taken. However, I don't feel he'll be taken out. I mean it takes at least 3 kills to take out any evil overlord.

metagaia

Random small pink blob
Jul 23, 2008
Sigh, please just resign Tim, we will respect you a lot more if you fall on your metaphorical sword. Perhaps you could even mend your ways and come back in a few years. :S

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
pantsoffdanceoff said:
I'm not surprised they're moving slowly, Langdell probably has every lawyer he can reach sniffing every action taken. However, I don't feel he'll be taken out. I mean it takes at least 3 kills to take out any evil overlord.
If he can managed to copyright the word Edge and every derivative of it, I think he's going to find a way to worm out of this one as well.

It's sad, but true. Sigh.

Lord_Ascendant

Jan 14, 2008
May this the Inquisitionary COurt of *cough* I mean "Committee Meeting" begin....

Seriously, what do you expect. It's hard to kick a douchbag back out of power. There is no Project Valkyrie to off him, so stop dreaming up ways for this man to die. He's mean, yes, we get that. But some people just really really like their copyrights especially Disney.

Capo Taco

Nov 25, 2006
And again we get to look at this ugly schmuck. Could anyone please take a new picture?

hansari

May 31, 2009
Malygris said:
...the group has never actually held a special meeting of this nature before and has therefore decided to put together a task force of Board members to come up with appropriate "methodology and procedures" for holding such a meeting to ensure that it is legally unassailable.
Does anyone know what the purpose of IGDA is?

An organization that has existed for so long without these rules doesn't tell me it is a well oiled machine...it tells me it doesn't even have power worth abusing by those sinister enough to do it...

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
dammit, that picture of him is so damn ugly, its like it'll jump out of the screen and eat me, and...dare i say it

it's putting me on edge

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
What I imagine will happen is that people will gather outside the protest with shirt that say either "Push Langdell off the edge!" Or "Pro-Edge" or something, I personally like the first one, cause I would be rolling if I saw Langdell's face when he saw someone

I'd like to personally thank Shamus, I would have no idea what this is about without him. Go Team Edge Shamus!

hahnchen

Dec 5, 2007
Can people stop talking about copyright?

This is about trademarks. I'd have thought, given all the coverage - that you'd be clear on this by now.

Mekado

Mar 20, 2009
Well yeah, if you want to kick someone who makes a *living* out of suing other people (don't delude yourself saying he makes a living making games), of course you want to be cautious and cover yourself...

Raziel_Likes_Souls

Mar 6, 2008
I feel edgy, and I want to push him of the edge of the mirror, and see if he gets impaled on the edge of his litigations.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Well, if the IGDA wasn't serious about kicking Langdell out, they probably wouldn't go through all of this red tape crap to make the decision stick. This gives me some hope.

PG

Apr 2, 2008
The special meeting is being held on October 3rd so hopefully we can kick this bastard out of the board, unfortunately I doubt the IGDA have any legal backing to revoke his membership. They're bylaws are pretty useless. They need at least 20% of the paying membership to request a meeting before they'll even talk about kicking him out, and when they have that meeting half of those who turn up have to vote for him to go. Even then I think he can appeal it and another special meeting has to be held.