LucasArts Brings SNES Classics to Virtual Console

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
LucasArts Brings SNES Classics to Virtual Console

LucasArts has struck a deal with Nintendo to bring their trio of Super Nintendo titles to the Wii's Virtual Console.

LucasArts seems to be on a real retro kick at the moment, and this time it's the Wii's turn. Partnering with Nintendo, LucasArts has released Super Star Wars on Virtual Console, with Super Empire Strikes Back and Super Return of the Jedi to follow in the coming weeks at a cost of 800 Wii Points per game.

The release of the titles is either going to be a happy dose of nostalgia for those with fond memories of fighting the Sarlacc, or chance to delve into gaming's past for those who missed them first time round. As well as the three games, Nintendo will be hosting Star Wars themed events on the Check Mii Out and Everybody Votes channels.

"Virtual Console on Wii is a great way to make these games available to our fans again, and it's an awesome opportunity to expose our classic console titles to an entirely new audience," said Darrell Rodriguez, president of LucasArts.

Cammie Dunaway, executive vice president of Sales & Marketing for Nintendo of America was similarly enthusiastic: "These three Super Star Wars games represent fantastic additions to the growing Virtual Console library, and the exclusive Star Wars content on the other Wii Menu channels is sure to have people from different generations having fun and interacting with one another."

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
God damn it LucasArts, just re-release Grim Fandango and get it over with!

EDIT:
Oh, and before anyone comments on people always bringing up Grim Fandango; yes I will keep bringing it up until it happens

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
I only had so many "fond memories" of these games. I mainly remember them being very difficult and unforgiving with sketchy platforming.

Woem

May 28, 2009
Oh. My. God. This is even more epic than when the remastered the original Monkey Island, and that was a pretty epic move in itself. I never played those games because I never owned a SNES but I spent so many hours looking at the printed screenshots in Nintendo magazines (I owned a Gameboy). Now all I need is a Wii...

Wayne Insane

May 14, 2009
Man those Games were awesome.But hard.So.Fucking.Hard.Especially the first one.Man that was hard.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Wayne Insane said:
Man those Games were awesome.But hard.So.Fucking.Hard.Especially the first one.Man that was hard.
My sentiments exactly. Glad I still have my original copies for the SNES :D and, like my SNES, they work!

Wayne Insane

May 14, 2009
ZeroMachine said:
Wayne Insane said:
My sentiments exactly. Glad I still have my original copies for the SNES :D and, like my SNES, they work!
I can only find my copies of Hope and Jedi.Lucky they aren't much on ebay ( in Germany anyways).

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
yourbeliefs said:
I only had so many "fond memories" of these games. I mainly remember them being very difficult and unforgiving with sketchy platforming.
At least in Super Return of the Jedi, they fixed most of the problems.
Wayne Insane said:
Never played the first one but Super Empire Strikes Back was close to impossible, especially with that fucking Snow speeder level.

QuirkyTambourine

Jul 26, 2009
xmetatr0nx said:
Oh cool, although i only played one of those...and i cant remember which that was. Too bad its for the wii, well i guess ill have to keep waiting for one to appear in my livnig room.
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one waiting for the wiifairy to make a visit to my house.

The Lost Big Boss

Sep 3, 2008
God reliving all those games.... Wa wa wa wa waaa?? The Wii? God damn it cant they bring this stuff to XBLA or PSN too?

Wayne Insane

May 14, 2009
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
At least in Super Return of the Jedi, they fixed most of the problems.
Wayne Insane said:
Never played the first one but Super Empire Strikes Back was close to impossible, especially with that fucking Snow speeder level.
Actually, Empire was the only one I could complete as a child, because it's last level was the fight against Vader while the other two had pretty much impossible Mode-7 Destroy the Deathstar levels.

Artemis923

Dec 25, 2008
Yeah, these games were brutal.

Which is why I loved them. They were almost as bad as Contra III.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
I guess this is okay.

They were good games, but Nintendo doesn't know what they're in for.

GAH! THE HORRIBLE PLATFORMING!