More Speculation About The PS3 Slim

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
More Speculation About The PS3 Slim

The idea of the PS3 Slim is one that isn't going away any time soon, as a French retailer adds more fuel to the rumor fire.

Speculation continues about the PS3 Slim in Europe today as French media site JVN contacted an anonymous retailer who apparently revealed details of the new, cut-price console.

The source confirmed that the PS3 Slim was real, and would be released in Europe next month at a cost of €300, which is roughly the same price predicted by British newspaper The Telegraph last week [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93629-British-Newspaper-Predicts-260-PS3-Slim]. It's not possible to verify the information given by the source at this point, but the PS3 Slim is such a persistent rumor, it's hard to believe that a rumor is all it is.

With Gamescon just around the corner it seem an ideal time for Sony to announce something big.What remains to be seen however is whether or not such a relatively small drop in price is sufficient for Sony to take the number two spot.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/08/10/french-retailer-claims-ps3-slim-is-real-will-be-100-cheaper/]

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
The regular one was like a frickin' tank.
Agreed. Except when it tipped over and killed my Need for Speed DVD with a gigantic scratch. Woops.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Fat Man Spoon said:
Let's hope it's tougher than the PS2 slim...

No hammer resistance.

The regular one turned my GTA San Andreas into scraps :p. Shame too because it was the super shameful edition (before they removed the coffee stuff).

I like the slims but that's me.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
harhol said:
nilcypher said:
What remains to be seen however is whether or not such a relatively small drop in price is sufficient for Sony to take the number two spot.
Sony already has the number two spot in Europe.
For some reason America is all that matters.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
it still could be a rumour, there's been lots of times that rumours are just that and have stayed that way. we really won't know anything until they bring it out. i already have a ps3 so this isn't that big of a concern to me

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
harhol said:
nilcypher said:
What remains to be seen however is whether or not such a relatively small drop in price is sufficient for Sony to take the number two spot.
But not overall, which is what I meant.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Fat Man Spoon said:

No hammer resistance.

Yes but if you recall the original "tank" ps2 had a bunch of chronic hardware problems. Maybe not as bad as the 360 but it was enough to keep me away until the slim came out and had those problems fixed. The slim may have not been able to survive as much concussive treatment as it's older brother but as I pretty much keep it on my shelf, I don't mind.
I know the ps3 needs a price cut but I'm kind of hoping a 360 slim is on the way that eliminates the rrod. A chronic hardware problem like that is far more disgraceful than a high price point... in my opinion. But that's why I have a ps3 and not a 360.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Bah, Sony are really bad at keeping secrets, I'm inclined to believe it already, BUT I am required to have heavy skepticism and say "I'll believe it when I see it".

walls of cetepedes

Jul 12, 2009
GonzoGamer said:
Fat Man Spoon said:

No hammer resistance.

Yes but if you recall the original "tank" ps2 had a bunch of chronic hardware problems.
It... did? Mine served me for 5 years, and my dad's one is still works fine...

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
harhol said:
nilcypher said:
http://www.vgchartz.com/

Check the Europe statistics. They're still below Xbox 360, but it's much closer than it is in the states. Joint second more than distinctly third... maybe you're thinking of Japan?

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Fat Man Spoon said:
GonzoGamer said:
Fat Man Spoon said:

No hammer resistance.

Yes but if you recall the original "tank" ps2 had a bunch of chronic hardware problems.
It... did? Mine served me for 5 years, and my dad's one is still works fine...
I've had mine since launch, still works like a charm and the only time it needed repairs was when it was full of dust. Opened it up, brushed it off, and BOOM worked like brand new.

Damn, that brings back some great memories...

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Still have my old PS2 with that dumb harddrive in it and it still works fine. Though I do wonder what a slim PS3 might look like.