Eve Dev Gets Creative to Help Out Staff

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Eve Dev Gets Creative to Help Out Staff

CCP, makers of hit space MMO Eve Online, paid staff in foreign currency to help them out during the bank collapse earlier this year.

Those of you who follow non-gaming news might recall that Iceland was particularly hard hit by the banking crisis. Its top three banks collapsed and nearly took Iceland's entire economy with them, leading to a massive devaluation of the Icelandic krona.

Fortunately for the employees of CCP, a little help was at hand: "CCP isn't anything to worry about, because we're in multiple locations and our revenue was all in foreign currency anyway," said Nathan Richardsson, CCP's executive producer. "What really was the problem for us was how many of our employees were hit by the crisis, so we tried to leverage some of the strengths of CCP to help them through the turbulent times."

One of those strengths was the ability to "leverage part of CCP's infrastructure that you wouldn't normally think would benefit your employees" and pay employees in foreign currency. So rather than having a paycheck that might not be worth the same tomorrow as it was yesterday, CCP's employees could build their futures on somewhat more stable ground, thanks to the company's creative thinking.

And for looking out for your employees, you receive a +10 buff to your Classy stat, CCP.

Source: GamesIndustry.Biz [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/ccp-staff-paid-in-foreign-currency-during-economic-meltdown]

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
I'm still not sure about Eve - it looks like fun, but a) it also looks VERY time consuming, and b) when I tried the trial, it was very overwhelming and confusing.

As for the news, makes sense really - if the Icelanding currency had broken, foreign currency was the only real option - that or gold!

Aac18

Mar 21, 2009
It's nice to a see a game company that genuinely cares about its staff. I doff my cap to the good sirs and madame's at CCP.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Doug said:
I'm still not sure about Eve - it looks like fun, but a) it also looks VERY time consuming, and b) when I tried the trial, it was very overwhelming and confusing.
I saw my friend play it one time...all he did was mine for ore...again...and again...and again...

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
While EvE is a good example (to me personally) of what not to do in a Space Epic MMO the company itself has been pretty impressive.

Kudos to them for doing what I expect as opposed to what doomsdayers seem to :p.

Grayl

Jun 9, 2009
I've heard of CCP being very nice to community, often taking on their ideas and implementing them in-game. They're a very nice company, and this news post proves that absolutely. They're up there with Valve and Blizzard, I'd say.

It's just a shame that I find EVE to be like having a second job; except that you're paying to carry on working.

Here's hoping they decide to make another MMORPG that isn't boring (and preferably one that you don't have to pay monthly for [although saying that, there's a way to play EVE for free, but it costs you in-game money, I think...])!

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Companies aren't supposed to be nice goddamnit! They need a massive death ray like the one Activision has.

Ajna

Doublethinker
Mar 19, 2009
Doug said:

As for the news, makes sense really - if the Icelanding currency had broken, foreign currency was the only real option - that or gold!
By my understanding, it's a similar-but-different version of Ogame [http://www.ogame.org]. And yes, it was time consuming.

I still want to try Eve out some time, but Ogame sucked two years of my life away just to make it into the mid 200s rank-wise. I don't want a similar experience.

OT: I agree. Classy move by CCP.

Strategia

za Rodina, tovarishchii
Mar 21, 2008
Nice move, very nice. Good to see SOME game companies have some sense left in them.

Doug said:
I'll take the gold, please. Spanish crowns will do nicely, thanks.

hansari said:
I saw my friend play it one time...all he did was mine for ore...again...and again...and again...
Yeah, I'd much rather kill something.....again.....and again.....and again..... :p I did this (endless mining) a lot back when I played RuneScape (I was twelve! Please, put the torches and pitchforks away!), it all depends on how you're looking at it. In Guild Wars, most of my time is spent trudging between outposts and quest sites, hacking my way through everything without any trouble, with the occasional mildly challenging fight breaking it up. Doesn't sound very interesting when you put it like that. In The Settlers games, all I'm doing is telling my guys where to build stuff. Sounds boring when you put it like that. In Mass Effect, I have a lot of fun deciding whether to put my last point into Assault Rifles or First Aid. Try explaining that and making it sound interesting. It's all part of the game process, and, for people who like the game, part of the fun.

Destal

Jul 8, 2009
I have respect for any company that is actively trying to take care of it's employee's. Good job CCP.

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
Grayl said:
They're up there with Valve and Blizzard, I'd say.
Play WoW, go on an RP server and look at the state of them. I would call it absolutely dreadful customer service, to be honest. Other wise, I have no issues with Blizzard.

This does seem to be top form by CCP, so thumbs up to them.

Robert632

May 11, 2009
after all those articles of activison being evil douches, seeing an article showing a company being nice to it's employee's is a nice change.

in fact, the way they just handled it makes me say if i had a choice between WoW or EVE, i might chose EVE just because there unimaginably nice.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Strategia said:
...In The Settlers games, all I'm doing is telling my guys where to build stuff. Sounds boring when you put it like that. In Mass Effect, I have a lot of fun deciding whether to put my last point into Assault Rifles or First Aid. Try explaining that and making it sound interesting. It's all part of the game process, and, for people who like the game, part of the fun.
Haha...I didn't mean to put it down like that...its just the ratio of action .vs. preparation in a lot of these MMO's seems to be ridiculously imbalanced...

Also take into account that my friend was on the limited 14 day trial and he had to spend a good portion of it mining just to keep up...

cobrausn

Dec 10, 2008
They missed out on a golden opportunity to pay their employees in ISK. It's worth a decent amount [http://www.swagvault.com/eve-online-tranquility-c-904_905.html?ref=2372&gclid=CK-f_7CYmpwCFRIcawodG0W_dQ], I suppose.

Grayl

Jun 9, 2009
coldalarm said:
Play WoW, go on an RP server and look at the state of them. I would call it absolutely dreadful customer service, to be honest. Other wise, I have no issues with Blizzard.
Oh yes, I know how horrible the RP servers are. One of the reasons I quit WoW, actually.

But they can be good to their customers. They've always responded to my complaints and GM queries. They're one up from CCP for making a game that is actually fun.