EA Reviving Classic Bullfrog Games?

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
EA Reviving Classic Bullfrog Games?

Signs are pointing toward a possible revival of the Bullfrog games - Populous, Theme Park - that made Fable creator Peter Molyneux famous.

Fable might have made Peter Molyneux well known among gamers of all breeds, but the man infamous for making the most outlandish promises in all of game development first made his name as a founder of Bullfrog Productons, where he pushed out titles like Populous, Theme Park and Dungeon Keeper before starting Lionhead.

Though Molyneux's work at Lionhead has been met with increasing popularity and success, those old Bullfrog games haven't seen much new in a good chunk of time. That might be changing, however, because it looks like Electronic Arts (which acquired Bullfrog years back) could be looking to revive some of these classic properties. The company recently filed trademark registrations [http://supererogatory.tumblr.com/post/160409110/i-like-the-implications-of-this] for Populous and Theme Park, along with two other classic franchises, Wing Commander and Road Rash.

This comes along with some hint dropping from Harvey Elliot, the head of what used to be Bullfrog and is now EA Bright Light. "I'm going to look at [classic Bullfrog IPs] at some point, I think there's an opportunity to bring those back in the future, but only if it's right for the time and not just a 'remake' or something," Elliott said [http://games.kikizo.com/news/200908/ea-theres-opportunity-to-bring-back-bullfrog-ip.asp]. "We'd need to do it in a way that's true to the original values, but would still make a great game today."

Obviously Molyneux wouldn't be involved, considering he's too busy running Microsoft Europe's games division and creating god knows what sort of weird stuff for the Natal. According to Elliott, however, it's not like there wouldn't be any old-timers to work on bringing back these classic IPs. "I mean I think we actually still have some of the original [Bullfrog] team, so there would still be the spirit of that if we ever did get to it," he said.

Elliott doesn't seem completely on board with the idea, but EA would seem to be, considering the trademark filings. Maybe we'll see Populous brought back with a different studio? In the meantime, there's always the Dungeon Keeper MMOG you can play...if you live in China [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/87757-Dungeon-Keeper-MMOG-Coming-To-China], that is.

[Via Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/08/11/ea-studio-boss-would-love-to-revisit-bullfrog-ip-ea-renews-bull/]]

Torque669

Apr 21, 2009
Oh please god let this be true. Bullfrog are amazing. Bring back Theme Hospital and Dungeon Keeper. Those two are classics.

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
Theme Hospital and Dungeon Keeper were the first 2 games I've played on the PC. Good times. Bringing games like that back wouldn't be a bad idea.

TheCameraman

Jun 8, 2009
Interesting to say the least.

I, for one, wouldn't say no to another Dungeon Keeper, loved those games.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
This is fantastic news, but if EA have any brains at all, they'll be sure to keep Peter Molyneux as far away from these projects as possible.

He's already soiled so many new franchises; please don't let him soil his old ones as well.

Dahemo

Aug 16, 2008
The best news I've heard in a while, gaming wise. Throw Dungeon Keeper into that mix and I would be very happy indeed, Bullfrog were a superb studio and highly deserve to have their efforts continued for the enjoyment of all...

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Gotta show some love for Populous. With modern graphics, that game could be downright awesome.

The question is: are they making sequels, or re-makes?

Aac18

Mar 21, 2009
Go EA, I would love a new Dungeon keeper

Grampy_bone said:
If they could just make Dungeon Keeper 2 run in Vista I'd be happy.
You can run it on Vista if you right click on its icon --> go to properties --> compatibility and set it to a older running software (for example XP). At least that worked when a friend of mine needed to get it working.

GruntOwner

Feb 22, 2009
This has been in the works for a while, or at least the foundations have been for it... And the article leads me to believe that very little has changed... I find my faith in the my faith in the Escapist fading some of the time if it takes this long for such a story to come through.

RobCoxxy

Feb 22, 2009
New Road Rash? :D
Had that on PC when I was back on '95.

Brilliant fucking game. LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT.
And Dungeon Keeper 2/theme park/hospital were some of the first games i played on "newer" windows pcs.

Doom was the first i ever played. ^^

Wandrecanada

Oct 3, 2008
I love how the trademark names they bring up are everything BUT Dungeon Keeper and Theme Hospital. These are quite possibly my favorite games of all time (Theme Hospital especially).

An HD remake would be an instant buy for myself just because it might actually run on my current gen system!

Patients are asked to be patient...

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
Come on EA! Bullfrog has already helped you with Dungeon Keeper 3 by putting a bloody teaser trailer in the second one.

MAKE IT ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mephisteus

Jul 16, 2008
Aac18 said:
Go EA, I would love a new Dungeon keeper

Grampy_bone said:
If they could just make Dungeon Keeper 2 run in Vista I'd be happy.
You can run it on Vista if you right click on its icon --> go to properties --> compatibility and set it to a older running software (for example XP). At least that worked when a friend of mine needed to get it working.
It does, I've got it running on windows 7 here :p It is mighty quick about crashing though :(