Review: Aveyond: Gates of Night

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007

Gates of Night may be RPG Lite, but that doesn't mean it's not worth your while.

Read Full Article

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
Fantastic review, I'm probably not the only one to notice that the characters were named "Edward" and "Stella" -- that got a giggle out of me. I actually prefer a blueberry muffin as I've got a mild allergy to chocolate.

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
Yeah, Edward and Stella? That's a tad close to some other names in another vampire series...

But I'm currently playing this game, and it's pretty fun.

Just keep going North...

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
WOW!

Sorry, I should put it more this way:

WOW!

Out of all the games I would have expected you guys to review, I would have never, ever expected to see you review a game made with RPG Maker! It's shocking to me, and brings back some good memories!

I won't check it out, because after several attempts at making a good game with it, I grew to hate the feel of vanilla RPG Maker, and although these people did a downright amazing job with scripting new menus, maps, the journal, and whatnot, the music and sound effects are all right out of the RTP, if that video is to be believed.

Still, what a shot of nostalgia here, damn. I'm in a good mood now :D

EDIT: Also, Susan, what version of RPG maker is this? XP or VX?

TikiShades

May 6, 2009
ZeroMachine said:
WOW!

WOW!

Out of all the games I would have expected you guys to review, I would have never, ever expected to see you review a game made with RPG Maker! It's shocking to me, and brings back some good memories!

I won't check it out, because after several attempts at making a good game with it, I grew to hate the feel of vanilla RPG Maker, and although these people did a downright amazing job with scripting new menus, maps, the journal, and whatnot, the music and sound effects are all right out of the RTP, if that video is to be believed.

The icons and the chibi sprites show it to be VX. He used Mack sprites and a whole lot of different scripts to change the interface, but it's definitely an RMVX creation.

That being said, it shouldn't have cost ANYTHING. RMVX games shouldn't ever go commercial.

Tuniki

Sep 14, 2008
well I'm glad to see an RPG being made for people to get started out.

at least when the new to RPG fans come out they won't have to spend 20 plus hours just for an optional dungeon that if you grab one too many treasures around the world the best weapon in the game isn't even in there.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
TikiShades said:
ZeroMachine said:
WOW!

WOW!

The icons and the chibi sprites show it to be VX. He used Mack sprites and a whole lot of different scripts to change the interface, but it's definitely an RMVX creation.

That being said, it shouldn't have cost ANYTHING. RMVX games shouldn't ever go commercial.
Visually, there wasn't a big difference from XP to VX, so I have no clue what you're talking about there. I've worked for hours on both, and the only differences were slight asthetic changes, different trigger/action options, and the combat felt a little more fluid in VX.

I agree with your second point, though. Maybe they can be used to get attention or to show to game companies in some sort of portfolio, but other than that, you shouldn't be able to charge money for that stuff...

Crystalgate said:
ZeroMachine said:
This looks very much like XP and not at all like VX.
Again, unless you know both programs in and out, there's no real way to tell at a glance like we got there. Those types of menus and sprites can be created in both XP and VX.

TikiShades

May 6, 2009
Crystalgate said:
ZeroMachine said:
This looks very much like XP and not at all like VX.
Like I said, Mack sprites and tiles.

Lord_Ascendant said:
Cute, its kind of like an old Final Fantasy game from the 8-bit era.
32-bit actually. Like a GBA game.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
The genre could certainly use more beginner titles. I probably never would have gotten into RPGs were it not for FF Mystic Quest.

Also, I am disappointed in your value assessment of muffins. Nothing beats a muffin, they are the panacea of baked goods.

Lopunny

Apr 15, 2009
Susan Arendt said:

Gates of Night may be RPG Lite, but that doesn't mean it's not worth your while.

Read Full Article
Wow, I never knew this site existed! can anyone recommend any other adventure games here, and can you buy from the UK?

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
If JRPG-like gameplay is what I'm looking for, I think I'll stick with something like Chrono Cross or Persona 3. RPGMaker games are really more for realizing strange backdrops, not innovative gameplay.

For example...

Aramax

Sep 27, 2007
There is no mention of anything inovative in the review... So does this mean Aveyond: Gates of Night is this type of "basic RPG" video game that offers nothing new?

matsugawa

Mar 18, 2009
We've gone off adventuring for less, indeed. I'm just glad the main character isn't suffering from... um... uh... that thing where you forget things... starts with an 'A'... or is it a 'Q'...?

MrNades

Jan 14, 2009
geldonyetich said:
If JRPG-like gameplay is what I'm looking for, I think I'll stick with something like Chrono Cross or Persona 3. RPGMaker games are really more for realizing strange backdrops, not innovative gameplay.

For example...

wtf was that? RPG maker was my first step on programming games and mine wasn't that bad at all. It was like Final Fantasy tactics actually. I was able to make a good use of the tiles and set up interesting battle maps, but wtf was that?

TikiShades

May 6, 2009
geldonyetich said:

For example...

You can have innovative gameplay. Unless the maker isn't innovative.