Create Your Own Cartoons with the Flipnote Studio DSi App

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Create Your Own Cartoons with the Flipnote Studio DSi App

Think you can make a cartoon better than Nintendo's animation of Captain Falcon destroying a meteor with a single Falcon Punch? Check out the DSi's free Flipnote Studio app and try for yourself.

I'm not one to be easily swayed by novelty apps distributed by companies, but when I saw this brief flipbook animation of Captain Falcon destroying a freaking meteor with a single Falcon Punch [http://flipnote.hatena.com/5804CB20BC7DD426@DSi/movie/7DD426_0900C1916A0CF_002?in=movies&sort=hot], I was immediately sold on the Flipnote Studio app for the DSi that Nintendo released today.

Flipnote Studio basically does what you'd assume: it gives you an easy way to create animations that resemble those flipbook cartoons you always used to waste time doodling when you should have been memorizing your times tables. Or at least I did that. Anyone else?

The way it works is you draw a picture on the touch screen of the DSi, and when you're done with that, the app will display an outline on a new "page" for you to use as reference for your next picture, thus elimintating the real-world hassle of having to flip back and forth constantly. Once you've drawn all your parts, the app animates them. You can add sounds using the mic and even import photos to use (don't get naughty though).

You can share your works between DSis, or, even better, share them with the world on the flipnote.hatena [http://flipnote.hatena.com/] site, which is where I stumbled on the best thing I've seen all day, the Captain Falcon animation. I'm not sure if anything could be better than that, but I'd like to see people try.

TaborMallory

May 4, 2008
I was already doing that sort of thing with pictochat, back when the DS first came out. If you hold both shoulder buttons at the same time, it flips rather than scrolls through the chat boxes.

So haha on DSi.

badkangaroo

May 1, 2009
Been playing with "Ugomemo" for quite some time, it's a great app, pictochat doesnt even compare. the best part is all of the online sharing of the flipbooks.

Earthbound

Aug 13, 2008
The video was alright, but I'm terribly disappointed that there was no FALCOOON PUUUUUNCH as he hit the meteor. That kinda ruined it.

Nargleblarg

Jun 24, 2008
Looks very hard to do...plus why captain falcon make it chuck norris and make the meteor a orphanage.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
I'm guessing that drawing with this app is a complete pain. I can't draw a thing on the DS, which is ironic on some level considering I'm a fantastic pencil artist.

DrDeath3191

Mar 11, 2009
-Zen- said:
I'm guessing that drawing with this app is a complete pain. I can't draw a thing on the DS, which is ironic on some level considering I'm a fantastic pencil artist.
I find that I have the same issue, but I think I'll give it a shot.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
-Zen- said:
DS drawing works better if you think along the lies of paint rather than pencil, it's not so good on line I agree but it works very well producing areas of tone.

Gerazzi

Feb 18, 2009
This is interesting, this is the only selling point I've seen for the DSi so far...