Raven Designer Declares a Wolfenstein-Madden Showdown

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Raven Designer Declares a Wolfenstein-Madden Showdown

Madden NFL 10 [http://www.ravensoft.com/] in August, he'll pay for your copy.

You read that right. If Wolfenstein rings up better sales than the new Madden title in the month of August, it's free games for everybody. It's an audacious gamble, made only slightly less so by the fact that there's no way in hell Wolfenstein is going to surpass the mighty Madden machine on the charts. Heir made the declaration on his Twitter feed [http://twitter.com/manveerheir] and he's asking people to spread the word.

The rules continue to evolve as people become aware of his daring declaration but they remain relatively simple. The winner will be based on North American sales as determined by the NPD Group [http://www.npd.com/], but anyone from any country can be reimbursed. To get Manveer Heir's money, you'll have to follow him on Twitter and provide a copy of your receipt, and of course there is a limit of one per customer.

Realistically speaking, Heir is at greater risk of being hit by a bus on his way home from work tonight than of having to shell out for a few thousand copies of Wolfenstein. But full credit to the man for coming up with a genuinely new way to draw attention to the game. Madden NFL 10 is a perfect opponent for this kind of virtual grudge match: So wildly successful that it's safe, yet at the same time so widely derided that an awful lot of gamers would probably get a giggle out of seeing it trounced by a shooter.

And who knows? Wolfenstein might even win! The fun begins when both games hit store shelves on August 18.

via: Ars Technica [http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/08/the-challenge-is-set-made-wolfenstein-a-hit-get-game-free.ars]

maxusy3k

May 17, 2008
Surely if Wolfenstein outsells Madden, making it completely free will make Madden the bigger moneymaker anyway, so therefore it won't be outsold by Wolfenstein and oh my god my brain is leaking out of my ears.

Gunner_Guardian

Jul 15, 2009
Creative way to earn a few more sales.

But seriously, a gamble like this is like me betting my friend that it'll be cold in December

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Um, is there anything really interesting about Wolfenstein other than it having the same name as one of the first FPSes?

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Hahaha, this guy is doomed. It's like putting up a single man against an army of magical, genetically altered super nazis..........oh wait..........

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Pretty ballsy challenge. A shame it's not going to happen though, Madden 10 is on five platforms and sold over 2 million copies last year.

RomanLegacy

May 6, 2009
I'm not quite sure I understand. Lets say that it did outsell madden. The whole point of selling games is to make money. The develouper is going to repay all the money back to the people who bought it? I don't understand at all...

hansari

May 31, 2009
ChromeAlchemist said:
Pretty ballsy challenge. A shame it's not going to happen though, Madden 10 is on five platforms and sold over 2 million copies last year.
Is there any way to even hold him to his word? Stuff like this has happened before...

I remember hearing about some stupid match between Kanye West and 50 cent. The gist was that if 50 cent's upcoming album sold less than West's, he would retire from the industry.

West sold more....50 is still in the industry...

Its all a gimmick.

laryri

May 19, 2008
RomanLegacy said:
I'm not quite sure I understand. Lets say that it did outsell madden. The whole point of selling games is to make money. The develouper is going to repay all the money back to the people who bought it? I don't understand at all...
Their just boosting sales by making people think that by buying it they'll get it for free. There is a better chance of this game being 100% historically accurate than there is it beating Madden in sales.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
laryri said:
RomanLegacy said:
Their just boosting sales by making people think that by buying it they'll get it for free. There is a better chance of this game being 100% historically accurate than there is it beating Madden in sales.
Also even if it did beat Madden in sales, a certain percentage of people will be too lazy to go through the steps to redeem their money. This is why companies love rebates, same advertising advantage as a sale but with the added bonus that some people won't ask for their money. A few hundred or few thousand copies of the game is probably well worth the advertising they will get from this. Although as most have pointed out it will be a stretch for them to outsell Madden.

OneHP

Optimist Laureate
Jan 31, 2008
RomanLegacy said:
maxusy3k said:
Surely if Wolfenstein outsells Madden, making it completely free will make Madden the bigger moneymaker anyway, so therefore it won't be outsold by Wolfenstein and oh my god my brain is leaking out of my ears.
It's one of the designers from the company offering money from his own pocket. The company would not be affected in anyway should this actually happen.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
hansari said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
Is there any way to even hold him to his word? Stuff like this has happened before...

I remember hearing about some stupid match between Kanye West and 50 cent. The gist was that if 50 cent's upcoming album sold less than West's, he would retire from the industry.

West sold more....50 is still in the industry...

Its all a gimmick.
You know, I knew he wasn't going to stick to his word, but I still hoped deep down that he would...

Oh well, he's hardly about nowadays anyway.

dekkarax

Apr 3, 2008
maxusy3k said:
Are you going to clean that up?

OT: I wonder if he's counting worldwide sales.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Read the news post and find out!

And as someone else noted, this isn't Raven, this is Heir himself offering to spring for the game out of his own pocket.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
ChromeAlchemist said:
Yeah 2 million copies is impressive. But the second sentence on in the article reads "in the month of August", so they don't mean total lifetime sales. It just needs to outsell it for a week or two, which is still a pretty big order to fill.

Delmar Wynn

Nov 12, 2002
RomanLegacy said:
I would venture to say that they have an insurance policy out on this so the company won't really lose any money.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Last year I think it was, Dr. Pepper said they would give everyone in America a free can if Guns'N'Roses put out Chinese Democracy that year. They did. I wonder what happened? I'm serious I don't know, anyone know?