How Much People Are Spending in Battlefield Heroes

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
How Much People Are Spending in Battlefield Heroes

EA's experiment in the free-to-play model, Battlefield Heroes, seems to be doing alright for itself, with statistics for purchasing habits showing that when people buy, they buy quite a bit.

Battlefield Heroes is a "a live experiment in the gaming industry," Electronic Arts says, and like any good scientific experiment, it must yield data. And so far, the numbers for Battlefield Heroes aren't looking too shabby. Not everyone playing the free-to-play, microtransactions-based game is spending real money, but the people who are buying things are doing it quite a bit.

EA figures that of the people who do actually spend money in the game's store, the average amount spent is $20. That money goes toward Battlefunds, which are used to purchase neat goodies like clothes, XP boosts and items. Perhaps unsurprisingly, the most popular items in the game are those that don't affect gameplay: 76 percent of Battlefunds are spent on vanity items like coats, caps, sunglasses, pants and more.

XP and valor boosts are also popular, with emote actions rounding out the last five percent of sales. Because people do so love to laugh and dance over the dead bodies of their opponents.

EA reported that 1.5 million players have logged into the game, though considering we can't tell exactly how many of them have spent money in the store, it's hard to gauge exactly how much money the game has made. People aren't just dawdling in there and not spending anything though, that's for sure.

[Via IGN [http://pc.ign.com/articles/101/1013387p2.html]]

hansari

May 31, 2009
Wow...I remember getting excited about this cartoony game...and then I forgot all about it.

Good to hear "Free two play" did not translate to failure here...

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
That's quite the bad news there. The increasing trend of micro transaction based games is worrying me. While I can accept it for a game like BF:H that is free to play I would not like this kind of thing to slip into full price retail games more than it already has.

The whole "store" deal was really my biggest complaint with The Sims 3. If I buy a game I want the full bloody game. Don't take out stuff and charge me additional money for it. And don't charge more money for added stuff than I would have to pay for it if it was part of a major DLC/expansion pack.

If stupid people go buy stuff in BF:H then this works and we are bound to see more of this garbage in the future.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Littaly said:
If stupid people go buy stuff in BF:H then this works and we are bound to see more of this garbage in the future.
"76 percent of Battlefunds are spent on vanity items like coats, caps, sunglasses, pants and more."

I think thats acceptable for plenty of MMO's and FPS's...but since The Sims series is all about the vanity items...

VitusPrime

Sep 26, 2008
This in my opinion is good, as the free to play industry's getting better.
The question is who's next to go f2p?

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Khell_Sennet said:
This just goes to show, there will always be the kind of people who will pay for top status rather than earn it.
and there are also many people who pay to stand out :p

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
You know I played the beta on that game, it was pretty good really. Aside from the overwhelming lag and whatnot...Anyway the problem with their in game store is that they charge you for things that expire. Your not really buying anything, your just renting them. Not to mention the fact that you have to pay to get a better weapon, and will still expire after awhile.

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
Sightless Wisdom said:
You know I played the beta on that game, it was pretty good really. Aside from the overwhelming lag and whatnot...Anyway the problem with their in game store is that they charge you for things that expire. Your not really buying anything, your just renting them. Not to mention the fact that you have to pay to get a better weapon, and will still expire after awhile.
I think I remember seeing 2 prices for items. The expiring kind, and a higher priced "Lifetime" version of it.

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
AboveUp said:
Sightless Wisdom said:
I think I remember seeing 2 prices for items. The expiring kind, and a higher priced "Lifetime" version of it.
Perhaps they changed that after beta? Or perhaps my memory fails me.

Earthbound

Aug 13, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
This just goes to show, there will always be the kind of people who will pay for top status rather than earn it.
I'd have to disagree with you there. The vast majority of what people bought was just appearance modifiers that didn't actually effect the gameplay. If anything, I'd like if more games had this. Sure, some people bought XP boosts, but those just make it so you gain experience faster. It doesn't give you experience, you still have to earn it, albeit at a faster rate. That's comparable to buying a +10% experience hat in an MMO. Sure you're paying to level faster, but you still have to level by doing the exact same thing as everyone else.

Razorback0z

Feb 10, 2009
The game is kind of fun. But it gets old in about 30 minutes. Anyone who plays it long enough to want to spend real dollars on it would probably have an attention span of a similar length.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Razorback0z said:
The game is kind of fun. But it gets old in about 30 minutes. Anyone who plays it long enough to want to spend real dollars on it would probably have an attention span of a similar length.
When I played it I spent time playing the same map and same gametype...again...and again...

They also don't give you the option of choosing your server...

crooked_ferret

Jul 30, 2009
I wrote up a review on bfh, it's not really that bad, it's in serious need of additional maps and content though.
The worst problem is the match system which doesn't work at all.

I've actually gone back to playing l4d for now, but I still have bfh on my system.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
It's good to hear that it's going well, gives me hope that The Old Republic will use the same system.

Ashbax

Jan 7, 2009
Well, im just glad they didnt make things like weapons purchasable with B-Funds, because that would just fuck up the game. I mean, the things they sell dont really affect gameplay, not even the XP boosts, so im still able to constantly kill Everything on the battlefield, without having to worry about whiny 12 year olds who forced their mothers to buy B-funds, and thus got better weapons.

Instead, they just get retarded clothes that ruin the game.

Ashbax

Jan 7, 2009
Eagle Est1986 said:
It's good to hear that it's going well, gives me hope that The Old Republic will use the same system.
if the old republic uses micro-transactions, I will lose all faith in humanity.

Inco

Swarm Agent
Sep 12, 2008
I tried to play the game, but couldn't get into any matches...
I wanted the MJ suits for my guys. :( As they were free and cool.
I might try again sometime soon.

Ashbax

Jan 7, 2009
Sightless Wisdom said:
AboveUp said:
Sightless Wisdom said:
Perhaps they changed that after beta? Or perhaps my memory fails me.
Yes, after the closed beta, they changed that.