Quake Live Getting "Premium" Service

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Quake Live Getting "Premium" Service

John Carmack says Quake 3 Arena [http://www.quakelive.com/], is unsustainable in its current format and will be adding a pay-to-use "premium" service model.

Quake Live offers the fast-paced online combat of Quake 3 Arena, including game modes like Team Deathmatch and Capture the Flag, but is entirely browser-based. After it entered open beta in February, PC will really stand alone [http://www.idsoftware.com]."

Unfortunately, the game apparently isn't quite as good at generating revenue as it is at letting people shoot each other in the face. Speaking at Quakecon [http://www.quakecon.org/], Carmack assured the audience that the game isn't a failure, nor is it in danger of being closed down, but said it isn't sustainable on ad revenues alone and will therefore require some kind of subcription-based premium service level.

He didn't reveal any specifics about the plan but cheapskates in the crowd need not worry; he also said the game would probably always maintain some form of free service as well.

I played around with Quake Live for several days after the open beta started and found it to be remarkably true to the original Quake 3 Arena. Having a full-blown, "instant on" multiplayer shooter built into a browser is pretty cool and the game looks pretty damn good for being ten years old. But with the good comes the bad: Quake 3 Arena was always kind of half-assed, wasn't it? Still, if you haven't played it yet it's well worth trying, especially while it's still free.

Source: VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2009/08/14/premium-service-coming-to-quakelive-carmack-confirms/]

sturryz

Nov 17, 2007
kinda kills the purpose, at this point you might as well go hunting for a copy of Ultimate Quake.

ThatJagoGuy

Feb 11, 2009
I'm currently loving QuakeLive and this news is pretty sucky. Hopefully, this will all occur in the form of additional content and accessibility for premium players, and not cutting down what is currently available for skinflints like myself.

Also, I'm glad someone else reckons Q3 was half-assed. I never got into it when it was released, and always considered UT to be the underdog which didn't get its rightful online FPS crown. :)

hansari

May 31, 2009
Malygris said:
He didn't reveal any specifics about the plan but cheapskates in the crowd need not worry; he also said the game would probably always maintain some form of free service as well.
Two hours of free play...then we will kick you off the servers ;)

Seriously though...the question is...is the game good enough to actually pay money for?

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
Played it a bit but i don't have ADD so I haven't touched it in a while so I don't think I will pay to play it.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
I suppose that just means the old Q3 players will go back to playing VQ3 and the new players will start paying id Software. That's fine with me.

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
This is really unfortunate, because the reason I enjoyed Quake Live is that for the first time in history I could actually attain a positive k/d ratio in a Quake game, which just feels fantastic.

Woem

May 28, 2009
ThatJagoGuy said:
I'm currently loving QuakeLive and this news is pretty sucky. Hopefully, this will all occur in the form of additional content and accessibility for premium players, and not cutting down what is currently available for skinflints like myself.

Also, I'm glad someone else reckons Q3 was half-assed. I never got into it when it was released, and always considered UT to be the underdog which didn't get its rightful online FPS crown. :)
From what I read on the QL forum it will mean that premium members will be able to create their own instances, and for instance have them password protected. This would allow clans to create their own private training maps, play clan wars, ...