Halo 3 Has One Million Unique Users Per Day

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Halo 3 Has One Million Unique Users Per Day

Almost two years after it came out, Bungie's Halo 3 is still going strong - with an approximate average of one million unique users playing it every day.

Week after week, we get to see what the most-played titles on Xbox Live are courtesy of Microsoft's Major Nelson [http://majornelson.com/]. Almost invariably, the top four spots will go to Bungie's Halo 3, Epic's Gears of War 2, Infinity Ward's Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, and Treyarch's Call of Duty: World At War - some combination of those four, anyway.

But how many people play them? As Erik Brudvig over at IGN [http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/101/1013671p1.html] points out, just knowing the order doesn't mean much if we don't know the actual numbers. To shed some light on the issue, Bungie's Brian Jarrard revealed at a recent Bungie press event that there were over a million unique Halo 3 players every day.

If Halo 3 were a city, it would be the tenth biggest city in the United States [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_population], knocking San Jose down a list - that's more people than Detroit, San Francisco, or Boston.

I guess this kind of explains the whole billionth game [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/89860-Halo-3s-One-Billionth-Game-Played] thing.

(Via VideoGamer [http://www.videogamer.com/news/halo_3_logs_1_million_unique_players_each_day.html])

Earthbound

Aug 13, 2008
Too many people play Halo for it to ever die. In all respect, it's not a bad game. It has fun multiplayer and a whole host of game types. Unfortunately, most players just stick with deathmatch and do questionable things with the corpses of players that they recently killed. The community, now I'm talking about everyone as a whole, is just terrible.

About a month ago, I played two games of Halo 3. An objective-based match and a deathmatch. In both games I had people question my sexuality and my worth as a human being. That's why I dislike the Halo 3 community.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
Here I was thinking that the Halo Nation had finally disparred, what with the constant attack of the Valve Coalition. But god bless our great nation it has endured this far... sorry had to be patriotic.

For the Halo Nation! We have faced hardship but we will always come out victorious!

*Blows horn*

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
Earthbound said:
Too many people play Halo for it to ever die. In all respect, it's not a bad game. It has fun multiplayer and a whole host of game types. Unfortunately, most players just stick with deathmatch and do questionable things with the corpses of players that they recently killed. The community, now I'm talking about everyone as a whole, is just terrible.

About a month ago, I played two games of Halo 3. An objective-based match and a deathmatch. In both games I had people question my sexuality and my worth as a human being. That's why I dislike the Halo 3 community.
The sad thing is that it's still a better community than the CoD4 one. That one just makes me want to strangle the players with their controller cords.

newguy77

Sep 28, 2008
AboveUp said:
Earthbound said:

The sad thing is that it's still a better community than the CoD4 one. That one just makes me want to strangle the players with their controller cords.
But what if they have wireless controllers? And also, I've never noticed the CoD4 community being annoying or anything. Care to vent?

OT: Good for Halo, I guess.

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
newguy77" post="7.130963.2882034 said:
SNIP/quote]

They're basically the same as the Halo 3 fanbase, with the constant "fag", "nooob", "omg u suk", "omg u usin' noobtube", grenade spamming, team killing. But with added camping.

Maybe I'm just unlucky and got into the wrong games... Through an entire prestige.

awsome117

Jan 27, 2009
CountFenring said:
But how many of them will move to ODST instead of keep playing Halo?
It'll have the halo 3 multiplayer though. It just has a different campaign and firefight.

Fenring

Sep 5, 2008
awsome117 said:
CountFenring said:
It'll have the halo 3 multiplayer though. It just has a different campaign and firefight.
I was meaning how many of that million per day will buy ODST vs how many will just stick with Halo 3. They'll be playing together, but on different games. I wondering how well ODST was going to do.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
oh god, that grunt is getting his head stomped...

is he in the uk? :p seems to be the thing with what goes on around here lately

on topic:

one million? i normally see 450,000 whenever i go on, but i assumed there was some downtime

Jsnoopy

Nov 20, 2008
CountFenring said:
awsome117 said:
CountFenring said:
I was meaning how many of that million per day will buy ODST vs how many will just stick with Halo 3. They'll be playing together, but on different games. I wondering how well ODST was going to do.
I was wondering that myself. Part of me wishes that, against all odds, it fails miserably because they decided to double the price. ( I don't care even if Bungie did add more content, maybe you should've just continued to add more content and keep the price a reasonable $30, or just add the content as DLC)
Back on topic, yeah I can see why it still has a million users a day, though it wouldn't surprise me that these numbers were averaged from the week, as the double xp weekend probably brings in over 1 million while Wednesday nights do a lot worse.

Dioxide20

Aug 11, 2009
One of the few games that has come close to the amount of users that WOW has, and thats quite a compliment, for a FPS!

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Chaoswolf75 said:
Halo died a long time ago.
Did you actually read the article? It clearly hasn't, reported for trolling.

Earthbound said:

The best idea is to just not chat through the headset, if you play alone then don't bother with the headset, if you play with friends change the settings to friends-only voice chat.

This applies all across Xbox Live, Gears of War is just as bad, and from what I have heard, so is COD4's.

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
CountFenring said:
ODST's versus multiplayer is Halo 3.

Chaoswolf75 said:
Halo died a long time ago.
One million unique users is dead? Hmm.

When I play Halo these days, I stick to being a few miles away from the enemy and lasering them with pinpoint accuracy.

Or BRing them to death in moments.

The main reason I don't play Halo avidly any more is for the simple fact that I cannot seem to get a competent team, and my mates aren't in the same skill bracket as me, so we can't play ranked together.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
dogstile said:
one million? i normally see 450,000 whenever i go on, but i assumed there was some downtime
It's talking about unique users per day, not the peak number of users. So even if there are only half a million or so people on at any one time, those people change over the course of the day such that a million different individual gamertags log time on the game.