Microsoft: 360 Is the Industry's Only Bright Spot

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Microsoft: 360 Is the Industry's Only Bright Spot

Calling the Xbox 360 the only console to show growth this year, Microsoft has declared their system the industry's "sole bright spot" amid a sea of tanking sales and rising despair.

Things have been undeniably dark when it comes to videogame sales this year, and they only got darker yesterday when the NPD Group released its sales data for July, showing a 29 percent in decline from 2008 overall and a 37 percent decline for consoles. Yikes.

One bright spot, however, was the Xbox 360's sales, which surprised some with 203,000 units sold, putting in above analyst expectations and in the same sales league as the Wii. So that's a good sign. For Microsoft, though, it's more than that. It's a shining beacon of hope in a time of fear and darkness. The 360 is the only console to experience growth this year, the company said, making it the "industry's sole bright spot."

Way to spin everyone else's despair into your own triumph, Microsoft. "Amid a tough economic climate, Xbox 360 is the only home console showing growth in the US this year, offering wallet-watching consumers the best value with a USD 199 starting price, the broadest selection of games for everyone, and innovative social and entertainment experiences they can't get anywhere else," the company stated.

The PS3 pulled in 121,800 in sales in July, while the Wii had 252,500. DS sales hit 538,900 while the PSP took in 121,800 and the PS2 sold 108,000 consoles.

[Via Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=24844]]

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Its hardly representative of the whole industry if the 360 is the only home console showing growth "in the US".

Pretty arrogant Microsoft...

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Look at the Ego. The rivers of money weren't enough already?

"Yaaar! We sell! We be awesome! Yaar-haar-Yaaar!"

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
D_987 said:
couldnt have summed it up better...

theyre talkign about the console i left cause of the amount of times it broke, and this is gamings high...

im startign to believe gaming is coming to an end now...or if I go by what MS says...

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
D_987 said:
Its hardly representative of the whole industry if the 360 is the only home console showing growth "in the US".

Nailed it.

I'm an avid 360 gamer, despite also owning the Big Black Box, and I have to say, it's nothing too spectacular.
But I sure am glad that they see themselves as the one hope for humanity. Somebody had to. /Sarcasm.
And last I recall, the world is made up of much more than JUST the US.

BaldursBananaSoap

May 20, 2009
It's not like they're going to say our console sucks buy it anyway please are they?

Also, as usual they think US is the whole world.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
D_987 said:

I concur [small]taking my obvious bias against Microsoft to the side, but whatev[/small]

Slightly increased sales in just the US is hardly a reflection of the entire industry. But better to be optimistic in this economy regardless.

randomrob

Aug 5, 2009
thats just arrogant. thats why i hate Bill gates and Microsoft, whenever they win at anything they just rub it in sony and nintendo's faces.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
The question is:
Would they move as many units if those units worked properly to begin with?

Jeronus

Nov 14, 2008
I think Microsoft shouldn't be patting themselves on the back. If my Xbox 360 was working, I would have bought so many more games. As it stands now, the people at the repair shop have had more time with my 360 than I have. I really think Microsoft should stay out of the next console generation because I can't see why anyone in their right mind would subject themselves to this treatment again. I know I won't.

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
I can understand that everybody here is getting angry at Microsoft here, but honestly, any gaming company would have said the exact same thing if they were the only company with positive sales. Why? Because it's bold statements like this that will tend to do good in the market.

We may not like it, but there's nothing we can do about it.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
AboveUp said:
I can understand that everybody here is getting angry at Microsoft here, but honestly, any gaming company would have said the exact same thing if they were the only company with positive sales. Why? Because it's bold statements like this that will tend to do good in the market.

We may not like it, but there's nothing we can do about it.
Agreed, if its selling why not gloat? I would also brag if I was the only one doing well while everyone else wasn't. Means I am doing something right at least.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Angron said:
They're talking about the console I left because of the amount of times it broke, and this is gamings high...
Quantity over Quality? Seems to be a more and more apt term for this console generation, particularly where the Wii is concerned.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
That's pretty bold speaking, Microsoft. But since it is true, I guess-

Oops. My 360 just broke again.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
A bright spot losing billions of dollars and being continuously bailed out by the large partent company.

Jeronus said:
I really think Microsoft should stay out of the next console generation because I can't see why anyone in their right mind would subject themselves to this treatment again. I know I won't.
Meh, people bought the PS2 and then the PS3 anyway.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
What is wrong with you people? Your absolute sheep. The OP gives a negative opinion, so you follow suit. Here's an idea: Get an actual opinion.

Anyway, it makes sense. Whilst I would note that the US doesn't count as the whole world, the 360 is the favoured console of choice from what I see on this forum (most of the time, when people don't go out of their way to flame it).

I can see this changing with the PS3's price drop though.