A Not-So-Welcoming (PlayStation) Home

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
A Not-So-Welcoming (PlayStation) Home

In Playstation Home, one is definitely the loneliest number.

All Jonathan Glover wanted to do was play the echochrome arcade game he'd heard was in the bowling alley in PlayStation Home. That was all. But upon creating his character - a "hulking, disfigured John Tesh lookalike" - and venturing out into the frightening space of Home, he found himself a stranger in a strange land, as he relates in Issue 214 of The Escapist:

[blockquote]>whats matter, you got dick in yo mouth?

Totally. In fact, I have an entire bag of dicks in there.

That's how the conversation would have gone if I had known how to type back. Instead, I sat there, a malformed mute, and took my verbal flogging. Anyway, he was right. I did look like John Tesh. How he was familiar enough with the TV-personality-turned-musician's appearance to make that judgment was anyone's guess. In the meantime, all I could do was glare at blunt_killa7329 in silence and move on.[/blockquote]

After finally getting to play echochrome, encountering an amorous e-couple, and feeling like a virtual blow-up punching bag, Glover comes to a realization: You won't find much of a warm reaction in Home unless you seek it out yourself - and even then it's iffy. Read the full story "Home Alone [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_214/6355-Home-Alone]," in Issue 214 of The Escapist.

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
I've never actully seen any proper abuse on PS-home, probably because its so bloody boring I hardly ever go on it. I guess it just goes to show people can be dicks for the sake of bieng dicks.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
They should call it Stepford Home.

But playing pool is pretty fun.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
A good article, but why does there need to be an article about an article?

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
'SQUIRT'?
Really, SQUIRT?

That's so pathetically hilarious. I just know that if I was in that situation I would have made some comment.

The message at the end of the article is rather worrying though.

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
Isn't there already a thread/article for this? Why the double post?

(Although, it's good enough to keep a permanent link to on the front page, don't get me wrong).

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
On the other hand, trolling, greifing, and cybering between participants who are almost certainly both 14 year old boys is probably all there is to do in Home.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
GloatingSwine said:
On the other hand, trolling, greifing, and cybering between participants who are almost certainly both 14 year old boys is probably all there is to do in Home.
Hey, there are some shining moments, like the Fat Princess cake grab. I got a whole castle for doing that

As I've said many times before, I like HOME for what it is. It's good for socializing with people, and so far I haven't met any real dicks online but I don't doubt that there are. There are assholes everyone on the internet, but I guess I haven't met them. But it's good for socializing with people, making some online friends, that sort of thing. Of course, it could stand for much improvement, but for now it's a pretty decent application you can use for 10 minutes at a time. Plus there are plenty more spaces now to explore, I just hate how you have to redownload EVERYTHING.

Oh, and you press L1 to talk :)

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
sunami88 said:
Isn't there already a thread/article for this? Why the double post?

(Although, it's good enough to keep a permanent link to on the front page, don't get me wrong).
Yea.
This is a rehash of an article from a week or two ago.
What, was it a slow news weekend?

This isn't the first article to be rehashed recently either. What's going on escapist?