Stan Lee Talks Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Stan Lee Talks Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2

Legendary comics creator Stan Lee seems mighty impressed with what he calls "the Ultimate Alliance 2 game," which he discusses in this behind-the-scenes clip.

It can't be easy to impress Stan Lee. The guy has seen it all, hell, he helped create it all. So when Lee says that he thinks there's something novel about the upcoming Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2, that's gotta be saying something, right? For him, it's the gameplay mechanic that lets heroes combine their powers into special moves that's the most interesting thing.

"These days, if you can do something to entertain fans that hasn't been done before, well you've accomplished a great thing," Lee said.

Lee also dishes on the Civil War storyline that unfolds in the game, which finds superheroes battling it out with other superheroes over the rise of a government program that requires heroes to register with the government. Lee gives his own take on whose side he would choose and what it means to be a superhero. Check out the video, true believers. And, uh, excelsior! Is that enough Stan Lee catchphrases for a single article? I hope so.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
You missed "You know, I think you ought to get him some help. He seems to be really hung up on super heroes' sex organs." Probably hard to fit that in though.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Iron Man or Captain America?

Hell...can't we at least have Spidey or someone actually likeable?
They're still two of the most iconic Marvel faces though, and they made the most rumble in Civil War. I think it's a rule that the most popular heroes are usually uninteresting or unlikable.

Look at DC. Besides Batman, Superman is a tool.

*Sigh* this game needs more Psylocke...my friend/housemate come October already shotgunned Deadpool, and Wolvie is too obvious a choice....Hmmm.

Black Goliath?

TheTygerfire

Jun 26, 2008
Okay, not taking a stance on the issues they're fighting over, but if I had to pick a side I'm sticking with Team Iron Man.

Oh, and WTF is Cable doing in this or any game?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I'm sure Stan lee is impressed that he can still get up in the morning. No offence, I mean Stan Lee is a great guy and all, but to me he always gives the impression of an old tired man who's trying to relive the glory days. And every super-hero game that is actually good can be counted on one hand.

super_smash_jesus

Dec 11, 2007
Definitely looking forward to this one. I love the beat em up games, and these are almost like a evolved version of double dragon games.

also I have no idea who penance is, anyone have any insight on who this character is?

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
TheTygerfire said:
Okay, not taking a stance on the issues they're fighting over, but if I had to pick a side I'm sticking with Team Iron Man.

Oh, and WTF is Cable doing in this or any game?
Well someone has to be grossly overpowered and cheap, don't they?

Oh wait, The Human Torch and Mr Fantastic are in this game too...

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
super_smash_jesus said:
Definitely looking forward to this one. I love the beat em up games, and these are almost like a evolved version of double dragon games.

also I have no idea who penance is, anyone have any insight on who this character is?

He is catalyst of the Civil War storyline. Basically:

He works with a group of young heroes to capture some supervillains as part of a reality T.V. show in Stamford, Connecticut under the alias, Speedball. He fights Nitro, one of the criminals, and the blast that Nitro creates during the fight ends up killing over 600 people, 60 of them being children, and all of the heroes but Speedball, his powers being what saves him (I think they were kinetic) and is knocked out.

He wakes up as a prisoner of shield, and is completely blamed for the incident, and his powers are all but gone, but he eventually escapes, regaining his powers in the process and orders a suit of armour which has one spike for every single victim of the incident on the inside, and the pain enhances his powers tenfold.

TL;DR, he is responsible somewhat for the deaths of hundreds of civilians, and now he dons the persona of Penance to atone for his sins.

I would recommend reading Civil War if you are a comic fan, it was awesome. Much better than some of the cop out bullshit that Marvel can be known for.

EDITED for coherence, Jeez...

And here's an image of him putting on the suit of armour, with a letter to his mother. Not for the squeamish I guess, and he goes into the story again somewhat.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Stan Lee's a great guy, but the comic book movies missue his cameos now, as opposed to Spiderman 1-2, where he was just Stan Lee helping out as an extra for a second.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
I'm sure Stan lee is impressed that he can still get up in the morning. No offence, I mean Stan Lee is a great guy and all, but to me he always gives the impression of an old tired man who's trying to relive the glory days. And every super-hero game that is actually good can be counted on one hand.
He is old. 86 years old in fact.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Amnestic said:
Casual Shinji said:
That's what I mean. He's not talking about the game because has something to say about it, but because he's uncle Stan.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
Amnestic said:
Casual Shinji said:
That's what I mean. He's not talking about the game because has something to say about it, but because he's uncle Stan.
In Stan We Trust. In Stan We Love. In Stan We Live.

To hell with Iron Man and the cop-outting Registers!

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
scnj said:
You missed "You know, I think you ought to get him some help. He seems to be really hung up on super heroes' sex organs." Probably hard to fit that in though.
Mallrats! I called it!

I have no interest in this game, but it's always nice to see Stan Lee around, even if it's just cameos and endorsements now.

Brett Alex

Jul 22, 2008
I liked the last one, but they new thing of heroes combining their powers sounds like a really good addition; in the first one the only team up move you could do was the Fastball Special.

Feb 13, 2008
MalevolentJim said:

Like Iron Man?
A drunken billionaire with a heart condition that seeks to kill anyone who nicks his ideas?

Or a ex World War 2 immortal that is STILL fighting Nazis?

Or we could have a homocidal lonewolf...didn't Stan Lee ever want any of the Heroes to be liked?

MalevolentJim

Aug 15, 2008
MalevolentJim said:

Like Iron Man?
A drunken billionaire with a heart condition that seeks to kill anyone who nicks his ideas?

Or a ex World War 2 immortal that is STILL fighting Nazis?

Or we could have a homocidal lonewolf...didn't Stan Lee ever want any of the Heroes to be liked?
I agree on Captain America being unlikable.But,in the film at least,Iron Man was likeable.

But there isn't a huge amount of characters in the Marvel Universe that are likeable at all i think.

SoulRanger92

Aug 8, 2009
I would have to say Deadpool is one of the only one I know.
OT: Well.. I'm not quite sure what the topic is.... this is awkward..