id Promise 'No Monster Closets' In Rage

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
id Promise 'No Monster Closets' In Rage

id has rethought its design concept for its upcoming post-apocalyptic shooter Rage, promising that monster closets are a thing of the past.

Blast the Imp, pick up the shotgun ammo, wait for the new imp to appear, blast that too. If that sounds familiar, then you've probably played Doom 3.

One of the most common complaints levelled at the game was its over use of 'monster closets', or enemies that would appear, often from hidden compartments in walls, when you reached a certain trigger point. All kinds of scary the first few times, but after that achingly predictable. But id assures us that 'monster closets' are a thing of the past, as the company responds to criticism and challenges the perception of what an 'id game' is.

"[In Rage] when you're going to the RC-Bomb base [from the demo] to deal with the Shrouded clan they're doing whatever they're supposed to be doing," said Matt Hooper, lead designer on Rage. "If they're supposed to be defending against you coming there, they'll be doing that. If they're just tinkering or having a conversation they'll do that. You will never see a [monster closet.]"

Rage is scheduled for release some time in 2010 and is likely to be one of the last id games to be released without the ZeniMax label.

Source: 1up [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3175595]

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
Words cannot describe how much I'm looking forward to this game. id haven't disappointed me yet. I even loved Doom 3 and it's expansion.

Dioxide20

Aug 11, 2009
I liked Doom 3 and it's expansion as well, and Rage doesn't look like it will disappoint. But I did get tired of the monster closets on Doom 3.

econael

Apr 15, 2009
While playing Doom3, once I went through a door and there was no imp to jump at me.
I turned around frantically, searching for the imp, thinking he's coming from another direction.
There was no imp.
Scariest part of the whole game.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
Is there more of an emphasis on the Fallout aspects or the racing aspects, for this game? I'd prefer if it were the former, but even so, this game has piqued my interest. Hopefully it won't turn out like some other experimental games, i.e., Mirror's Edge, Alone in the Dark, e.t.c....

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
scnj said:
Words cannot describe how much I'm looking forward to this game. id haven't disappointed me yet. I even loved Doom 3 and it's expansion.
I liked it, but it didn't scare me at all, probably because I played FEAR first... but the expansion made me mad... wtf! no chainsaw!?!?!

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
You know they don't have to absolutely ban them, just not base the entire game around monster closets. Maybe one or two...

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
i understand how they might not like the monster closet, tho most every game has them and still do. i think it's good they have decided to get rid of them and i do agree it takes away a bit of the scariness after the first play thru

but i guess this will stop the doom done quick runs in the game

Jul 22, 2009
I replayed doom and doom 2 recently, monsters closets scared the hell out of me more than once, personally i'd like to see them return

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
When I cam to the words "Monster Closet" many thing passed my mind..
I thought they were talkign about how in alot of shooting game alot of monster all seem to cram into a hidden spot in some small room and when the smell each other they all come rushing head long into through the door. Kindof like the amazingness Left 4 Dead does, but thats the only place it could work.

jaeman

Aug 11, 2009
Now this means they can make more room for RPG elements! Did anyone else notice this? Multiple skills that can be utilized, towns, talking, and questing all point to a fallout 3 knockoff. Don't get me wrong, because RAGE looks awesome, so im expecting amazing things from it!

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
They should have named dead space "Monster Closet"

Since that's all that game was.

I realize totally different company, but same extreme problem.

Scary the first time, stupid the 99k times after.