Wolverine Sequel Gets New Writer

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Wolverine Sequel Gets New Writer

David Benioff and Skip Woods, the duo that penned X-Men Origins: Wolverine will not be returning for the sequel.

The sequel to hit movies X-Men Origins: Wolverine will be written by Academy Award winning screenwriter Christopher McQuarrie. McQuarrie, who won an Oscar for 'The Usual Suspects' in 1996, contributed to the script for the original X-Men movie in 2000, but later removed his name from the credits after the final script turned out to be much more like David Hayter's version.

The sequel will loosely follow the 1980s storyline created by Chris Claremont and Frank Miller that charted Wolverine's travels in Japan and his battles with ninjas. What's even more interesting about this though, is McQuarrie's long association with Bryan Singer, who directed the first two - and best - X-men movies. It could just be coincidence, but seeing the director return to the franchise would be welcomed by most fans.

Source: Film Junk [http://www.filmjunk.com/2009/08/13/christopher-mcquarrie-hired-to-write-wolverine-2/]

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
Wow, I never thought I'd be excited for the sequel to a crappy spin-off but this news comes close!

Thanks for brightening my lunch break Nilcypher.

EDIT: Is it not coincidence then that the re-imagined Wolverine cartoons will be showing him as a samurai-esque character, or is it intended to tie-in with this new movie?

stabnex

Jun 30, 2009
A sequel to an origins film which was the prequel to a trilogy mainly concerning one character whose backstory in the origin was butchered in favor of someone else's idea? This cannot end well, no matter who's behind the wheel.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
I was one of the few who actually enjoyed Wolverine over X-Men 3. That said, I'm looking forward to seeing the Japan story play out. And I have high hopes for the Deadpool movie. He was the best part of the first Wolverine.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
scnj said:
I was one of the few who actually enjoyed Wolverine over X-Men 3. That said, I'm looking forward to seeing the Japan story play out. And I have high hopes for the Deadpool movie. He was the best part of the first Wolverine.
I'm pretty sure that EVERYONE liked Wolverine more than X-Men 3 because X-Men 3 was total shit. At least Wolverine had some good over-the-top action scenes.

Still, I was more hoping for more Origins Movies around the other characters, not just more Wolverine. :/

Ohten

Apr 14, 2009
Of all the arcs they had to follow, it had to be Wolverine's Wapanese phase.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I was hoping for people other than Hugh Jackman!

Night Crawler's story (as implied by the films) sounded quite interesting, or to put it another way "one for every sin, there's quite a few,"

Or how about Captain Pickard and Gandalf themselves? They have better backstories than any of the other characters.
Either way, hooray for getting decent writers this time! Does this mean studios are finally realising successful movies need good writers?

Bassman_2

Feb 9, 2009
WhiteTigerShiro said:
scnj said:
I'm pretty sure that EVERYONE liked Wolverine more than X-Men 3 because X-Men 3 was total shit. At least Wolverine had some good over-the-top action scenes.

Still, I was more hoping for more Origins Movies around the other characters, not just more Wolverine. :/
There will be a Magneto Origins, based during WWII.

Milkman Dan

Sep 11, 2008
Actual said:
EDIT: Is it not coincidence then that the re-imagined Wolverine cartoons will be showing him as a samurai-esque character, or is it intended to tie-in with this new movie?
Wolverine as a failed samurai is dates back to the early 80s, which was the core concept of his first mini-series (by Chris Claremont and Frank Miller). I don't know if it's a coincidence, but they both draw on existing material.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
A Wolvie sequel i'm interested but i reserve my judgement till i see them. Now as for other origin like movies...Deadpool yay, Magneto wait an see, Nightcrawler definitely, Now if Gambit has one that would be AWESOME since he's my favorite mutant of the seires

hansari

May 31, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
I'm a little tired of Wolverine.
I get the feeling they are trying to do to Wolverine what they did with Batman....unfortunately, I'm with you. I'm tired of seeing Wolverine now. And just think how blasphemous that statement is...

SnootyEnglishman said:
Now if Gambit has one that would be AWESOME since he's my favorite mutant of the seires
I second that...I don't even need a separate movie, just need more Gambit/Deadpool cameos...

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
coxafloppin said:
As long as the deadpool movie is good im sweeet!
nope he won't be, Deadpool wasn't even in the Marvel Universe at that point

i'd love them to do the Joe Fixit storyline when the Hulk shows up and after teaming up a bit they slug it out

Jeronus

Nov 14, 2008
Macar said:
And we needed a sequal to this movie why?
All comic book movies have sequels, because money is the root of all entertainment. Or is it evil?