Sony Reveals PS3 Slim, Drops PS3 Prices to $299

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Sony Reveals PS3 Slim, Drops PS3 Prices to $299

After months of leaks and rumors, Sony has finally officially announced the PS3 Slim for release on September 11 for $299, which also happens to be the new price point for most existing PS3 models.

Finally, after months of shady snapshots from Chinese factories, info leaks from retailers and everyone just generally assuming it was going to happen, Sony has made it for real [http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2009/08/18/live-from-gamescom-scee-press-conference/]: there is a smaller, lighter version of the PlayStation 3 coming out...a PS3 Slim, if you will.

The Slim will release on September 1 and be priced at $299, 299 Euros and 29,980 yen. It's supposedly 32% smaller, 32% lighter, eats up less power (yay for lower bills) and sports 120 GB of hard drive space. Otherwise, as Sony Europe's Jem Alexander says, the Slim has "all the same features your current PS3 has."

Speaking of current PS3s, Sony will also be dropping the price tag on "all current PS3s on the shelf" to the same point as the Slim: $299 and 299 Euros. That price drop is effective immediately - retailers should have caught up by the end of the day. Most of them probably have already done so. Clearly, Kmart has [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93966-UPDATE-Kmart-Lists-120GB-PS3-Slim-For-299]. In North America, the 160 GB model bundled with Uncharted will drop to $399.

So, all current models are cheaper and the Slim is coming soon. I don't see much reason not to just wait for the Slim if you want a PS3, unless you really hate its design, or really want another George Foreman Grill. I could understand that.

UPDATE: Got some more specific info from Sony regarding the feature set of the machine. The Slim supports one new feature and loses one old one. The new thing is support for sync with Bravia TVs, where if you plug your Slim into a Bravia, you can manage the Xross Media Bar with your remote control, and turn off your system by turning off your TV.

The thing it won't have that the old PS3s do is the support for other operating systems. "The new PS3 system will focus on delivering games and other entertainment content, and users will not be able to install other Operating Systems to the new PS3 system," Sony said.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Sony really can't keep a secret. Trying to hold off a Sony announcement is like trying to cover up nudity with lace.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
I wanna see a pic of the PS3 slim! I'm sick and tired of that crappy old photo of a slim-on-a-box, dammit!

not a zaar

Dec 16, 2008
Is there backwards compatability? That's all I want to know. It seems unlikely since it wasn't specifically mentioned.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
I was just about to quote Funk asking whether the good news had come out yet...

Anyway, this is good news for anyone on the fence about purchasing a PS3. Now all they have to do is add BC back, and I will gladly swoon back into Sony's welcoming arms as a consumer.

LimeJester

Mar 16, 2009
Well Sony has fired another shot in the console wars, we'll have to wait an see how this influences holiday season sales. Let's wait and see Microsoft's response. I was reading rumors of them phasing out the pro and replacing that price point with the Elite.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa.

All current model PS3s are going down to $299? So, does that mean an 80GB "fat" model costs the same as a 120GB "fat" model?

Either way, hoo-RAY for price drop of $100! Hopefully it'll stop people bitching about the price and whining for more of a price cut.

Though the release date of the Slim..........yyeeeeeeeeaaaaahhhhhhhhhh, not the most ideal time...

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
i told you all it was true...

now ive paid more than i need to for my PS3...

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
not a zaar said:
Is there backwards compatability? That's all I want to know. It seems unlikely since it wasn't specifically mentioned.
There's no backwards comp.
Casual Shinji said:
The cat's outta the bag.

The new design is f*ck ugly though.

Yeah, it's pretty HIDEOS.

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
Price drop = Yay! Finally!

Slim = Fail. I just don't see why we need it.

I'm still not planning on buying a PS3 any time soon, but when I get a huge-ass HDTV it will definitely be on my short-list of things to buy after. That price does make it more attractive.

EDIT:
Just thought of this; Can anyone imagine the irony if in a month or so we find out the thing has no wireless. Haha, and knowing Sony they'd take out the Blu Ray drive too, so as to switch to all digital distribution. Not trolling, I just think it'd be really funny.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Frakking finally! I can actually get one now!

Do the PS3's already out there have backwards comp though?

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
September 11th of all days. Guess peeps in America no longer need to feel [as] sad during that day.

One thing lost is another thing gained as they say.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
I don't get why Sony hasn't added back the emotion chip or heck even the software compatibility for PS2 titles. While yes I have a PS2 I can use, I only have a finite amount of space in my entertainment center. I can't imagine the cost is that high given that Sony recently stated that their production costs dropped and they are actually making a profit on each PS3 sold now.

One of the reasons for the PS2's early success was that you could play all original PS games on it.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Terramax said:
September 11th of all days. Guess peeps in America no longer need to feel [as] sad during that day.

One thing lost is another thing gained as they say.
to be fair, Sony is a Japanese company and they aren't as aware of 9/11 is as, say, America may be.

Still, that is a pretty big f*ck up of Sony's marketing team... again.

timmytom1

Feb 26, 2009
They had to drop the price of the PS3 within days of me fianlly buying one. I`m officially annoyed

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
Jumplion said:
Though the release date of the Slim..........yyeeeeeeeeaaaaahhhhhhhhhh, not the most ideal time...
You'd be surprised at how much stuff is actually released/has premiere on September 11th.

captain awesome 12

Dec 28, 2008
Thank you Sony, I was losing my faith in you. I am so glad that I held out for a price cut, because I can now buy my PS3 and use the extra 100 or so for games.