How The Facebook Paradigm Is Changing Gaming

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
How The Facebook Paradigm Is Changing Gaming

Social networks like Facebook have facilitated the rise of games with tens of millions of monthly players that are raking in cash hand-over-fist - games that most gamers have probably never heard of.

I have to admit that I'm not the type to really get into the whole Facebook gaming scene. I must have dozens of dozens of unread "Billy Bob Wants You To Play (X)" cluttering in my inbox that I just ignore. Still, the fact that I have so many invitations in the first place means that somebody is playing these games, even if it isn't me.

In fact, that's the point that John Earner, Vice President of Product Management at social games developer over at Crispy Gamer [http://www.playfish.com/]: There are anywhere from a billion people to a billion-and-a-half people plugged into various social networks all across the world. If only 5% of that total is the type to play Facebook games, that's still a whopping 50 million potential customers.

Speaking with Crispy Gamer's James Fudge, Earner talks both the business and creative side of things, and it's... not hard to see why they're doing well for themselves, even in this craptacular economy. Or maybe this economy is actually a boost - while not everyone has a gaming PC or a console, if you have a computer able to access the Internet, you've got the hardware needed to play these Facebook games. It's much easier to justify spending a few microtransactions of $3 apiece than it is to convince yourself to drop $60 on a brand-new game, for a lot of people.

Plus, costs are almost inherently lower than "mainstream" games - while the biggest-budget social games are certainly multi-million dollar affairs, they're (on average) much cheaper to produce. Again, a boon in today's economic climate.

More than that, it's the scale that's so staggering. We make a big deal out of WoW's 11 million subscribers, or Halo 3 selling 10 million - and 30 million people play these Facebook games every month, and we gamers don't bat an eyebrow.

In some ways, it actually reminds me of the whole Social Link system of Persona 3 and Persona 4 - where building links and connections with people is part of the game (or, rather, the entire point of the game). Only these have fewer Japanese teenagers and less bizarre sexual metaphors.

The full piece is a pretty fascinating read, so if you're interested in this world of gaming that seems so unfamiliar to the one we know and love, check it out [http://www.crispygamer.com/interviews/2009-08-18/how-playfish-baits-the-hook-on-facebook.aspx] over at the Big CG.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
I always think of those things as Online Gaming Lite. I mean, there are plenty of browser-based versions of those same games that exist outside of Facebook, many of which are incredible works by their developers and players (but are far smaller). The trouble, in my opinion, is that people are shy, or to some extent lazy. Facebook and other social sites act as a hub for the Internet, so that while people are going there to find out about the doings of their friends, there's also a lot of other content available to find, content people didn't think they'd take an interest in or didn't know how to search the Internet for. Trying something new is hard, unless there's some sort of motivation to (such as "my friend is playing this, maybe I should too").

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
Facebook gaming? I don't see the point. It's better to keep two things seperate, so they're more focused. the only viable exception i can think of is the camera phone...

Mr Inconsistent

Mar 29, 2009
i didnt really either, but the fact that 30 million people play them every month is quit undderlip drippeling

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
Facebook gaming sounds like something you could years earlier on places like Armor games and Newgrounds. It's clever, and now facebook are presenting it to the masses, whereas before they would most likely have been put off searching for the games. But seeing as I avoid facebook I doubt it'll affect me unless I do sign up for it, and it'll be a cold day in hell when I do that.

Or it'll be the pressure from my cousins which makes me, but eitherway, not likely.

Leroy Frederick

Jan 27, 2009
The point or idea is people like playing with their friends / family and doing it in their environment of choice, facebook is their platform (like xbox or ps3 might be ours). Talking of xbox, it will soon also be adding facebook and twitter to it's live service as well.

But I agree the games are very light weight and samey in most places (check out pretty much any of the farm game thingys).

grimsprice

Jun 28, 2009
there will always be people trying to bridge gaps between things. between clearly different pieces of technology say camera and phone... for example... and between things like facebook and videogames... why sign up for a social networking site when you can sign up for a social networking site that will butter your toast and feed your fish!! pretty soon refridgerators will have music players and internet access.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Wow, that many? Kinda makes sense of all the notifications clutter I have, but that's a far bigger number than I thought. I'll stick to the bigger games, mostly because one-click interfaces grow extremely boring after a few minutes, and I like the complexity offered by the bigger games. Also, I'm not really the type to invite everyone in my friends list to come play some new social game, when I could just invite those same peeps over for some couchtop gaming.

Nov 5, 2007
Interesting that this article pops up now cause I just found out that an impressive number of people at my job play FarmTown. I have no interest in it but the whole social gaming scene is really interesting and worth looking into.

Anarien

Mar 30, 2007
It's an easy approach and light apps, so the audience reach figures are quite high. Most often, skill level required is also low, and addictive gameplay along with your friends keeps people coming back in small doses. Lunch breaks, a few minutes of 'me' time in the evening, etc.

I know a lot of people who wouldn't touch games otherwise that will unwind with these Facebook games. It's worth keeping an eye on.

sharks9

Mar 28, 2009
I actually played the facebook game Mousehunt for a while until I got bored of it. It still has tens of thousands of people playing it at any given time though which is pretty good for a facebook game

Torque669

Apr 21, 2009
I recently signed up to facebook and have been playing three of the games on there known as Mobsters 2: Vendetta, Pirates and Farmville. All three are fun little time spenders. Apart from Pirates really but it has potential to be a fun little game.

The point is the games are easy to pick up and you log on, do a few things then log off and let your work (easy work) come into shine.

Farmville for example I have become addicted too. Usually logging on to it as soon as Ive read my messages. Its such a simple premise but works so well its addictive. All you do is plant seeds and look after animals in a rather dull looking game but so many people play it, Its amazing and the amount of contribution you can put into making your farm looking good is quite amazing. Granted its still in its BETA Stage though.