Read Archie on Your PSP With the PSP Digital Reader

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Read Archie on Your PSP With the PSP Digital Reader

The PSP won't just be for movies and games when Sony releases a digital reader for their handheld which will allow you to carry an issue of X-Men along with Final Fantasy VII in the same machine in December.

Sony is taking the multi part of multimedia device seriously when it comes to the PSP. It's not just for watching movies or playing games or listening to music. Ever heard of something called reading? Yeah, it used to be popular back in the day and it's coming to the PSP in the form of Sony's digital reader, a service that Sony says will "allow PSP owners to access a range of media on their PSP."

A "range of media" could mean a lot of things, but Sony doesn't seem to be envisioning people using the PSP like, say, the Kindle and reading James Joyce with the damn thing. Now, I might use it for literary pleasures, but Sony's launching the service this December with a Digital Comics store that will let you download "hundreds of classic and new comics" from the PlayStation Store.

"PSP's new digital reader offers an unprecedented consumer experience that will extend the world of Marvel from print pages into the hands of fans around the world. We are excited to be part of this launch," Ira Rubenstein of Marvel said.

Digital Comics will launch with books from Marvel like Spider-Man and X-Men, as well as brands like Archie Comics, graphic novels and "the latest underground sensations," whatever that means. Some series will feautre monthly content updates, so you can keep up with the latest issues or what have you.

Comics will be read using the reader's "Autoflow" feature which lets you zoom from frame to frame and mimic the experience of actually reading a book. Or you could read an actual book, that would work too. Actually, no. Just reading period is accomplishment enough. I won't ask for more.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Oy vey voy, this is a lot of announcements on Sony's behalf. Is there any official video footage I could watch, I prefer to watch conferences and sort these things out myself.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Jumplion said:
Oy vey voy, this is a lot of announcements on Sony's behalf. Is there any official video footage I could watch, I prefer to watch conferences and sort these things out myself.
I think this is the boost Sony needed. Speaking of, I need to ask you something.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
won't it be a little hard to read a comic on that screen?
unless you can scroll around the page, ofcourse :p
that's the problem with reading a comic on the 360...

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Nice, so now I'll be able to do what I've been doing for the past year and a half legally on my PSP... oh wait, it won't support PDF formats? Screw it.

7ru7h

Jul 8, 2009
I already have this feature - BOOKR (http://sourceforge.net/projects/bookr/) one of my favorite homebrew apps... hell, its the reason for my CFW