Activision CEO: People Like Sequels

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Activision CEO: People Like Sequels

Activision Blizzard [http://www.activisionblizzard.com/] CEO Bobby Kotick denies that the publisher relies too heavily on exploiting existing franchises, saying most gamers prefer it that way.

Activision is the new carpetbagger [http://www.ea.com]" earlier this year, citing the company's reliance on sequels and disinterest in games that cannot be easily franchised.

For his part, however, Kotick says people like sequels and that it's quite possible to break new ground within their boundaries. "A small segment of very vocal gamers say everything has to be new and different every year," he told The Economist [http://www.economist.com/people/displaystory.cfm?story_id=14209881]. "Actually, people are happy with existing franchises, provided you innovate within them."

There's also no question he believes that companies need a committed, results-oriented focus if they're going to succeed and that's how he approaches Activision. "We needed a balance between people who would be creative and entrepreneurial, and people who knew processes," he continued. And despite what many gamers may think, part of that balance includes giving the creative types room to work. "In our business the key is that certain things lend themselves well to process, and certain things don't," he added.

Another thing that lends itself to success in the videogame business is ownership of World of Warcraft [http://www.worldofwarcraft.com], the ridiculously lucrative MMOG that Activision acquired as part of the merger with Vivendi. Kotick said he'd had his eye on Blizzard's hit game because of the regular income it provides and even though Activision has published numerous popular game franchises in recent years, subscription income now accounts for more than half of Activision Blizzard's operating profit. As Kotick noted, "World of Warcraft is the most stable form of profitable revenue in the industry."

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Well, he's right. I love my sequels, AC 2, COD 4 MW 2, F III, B BC 2 and T 6.

Kudos to anyone who can name all of the above.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Sparrow Tag said:

Assassins Creed 2, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 2, Fable 3, Battlefield:Bad Company 2 and Tekken 6.

Right?

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Every game I am looking forward to is a sequel. The thing is I don't see any good games coming out soon that aren't.

Give us a decent non-sequel and we'll buy it!

The Lost Big Boss

Sep 3, 2008
Why is it that everything that comes out of this man's mouth sounds evil and full of shit?

Sparrow Tag said:

Assassins Creed 2, Modern Warfare, Fable 3, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Teken 6.

Fuck ninja'd

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
oliveira8 said:
Sparrow Tag said:

Assassins Creed 2, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 2, Fable 3, Battlefield:Bad Company 2 and Tekken 6.

Right?
We have a winner.

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
He does have a point insofar as people obviously keeps buying the sequels. But it would be nice to a bit of experimenting with new ideas while at the same time making money on the sequels. It should be possible. At least to me with zero knowledge of anything. :)

But EA seemed to do a bit of experimenting last year, so why can't ActiBlizzion?

The Lost Big Boss

Sep 3, 2008
Fudgo said:
I am so sick of that bloody picture. SHOOT IT!!
When ever I see this picture I can only picture a caption under it like "I suck cock" or "I am the cancer of gaming and every single year I will bring down quality as I raise the prices of games to a hundred a game. When I die people will sledge hammer my tombstone."

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Machines Are Us said:
Every game I am looking forward to is a sequel. The thing is I don't see any good games coming out soon that aren't.

Not even Brutal Legend, Dragon Age or Batman:Arkham Asylum?

Sparrow Tag said:
oliveira8 said:
Sparrow Tag said:

Right?
We have a winner.
So? I only get that? Not even a cookie..or pie...or cake...

/dissapointed

Howlingwolf214

Dec 28, 2008
Actually Mr. Kotick people like sequels if they look like effort has been made.

Sequels that are made simply because the developers bath isn't quite full of money aren't good.
Thus ends my lecture about sequels.

Fudgo

Apr 11, 2009
dkuch said:
Fudgo said:
I am so sick of that bloody picture. SHOOT IT!!
When ever I see this picture I can only picture a caption under it like "I suck cock" or "I am the cancer of gaming and every single year I will bring down quality as I raise the prices of games to a hundred a game. When I die people will sledge hammer my tombstone."
And he can still say that with a grin. It's scary.

Jackpot

Mar 21, 2008
he can fuck off with that shit.

consumers want sequels, gaming hobbyists don't. there is a difference.

iggyus

Apr 18, 2009
Machines Are Us said:

Dragon Age: Origins is not a sequel and will be a huge hit

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Jackpot said:
he can fuck off with that shit.

consumers want sequels, gaming hobbyists don't. there is a difference.
And the hobbyist are a minority... Plus I'm sure hobbyist will be playing COD MW2, god of war 3, MGS(whatever) and all that jazz.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
oliveira8 said:
Machines Are Us said:

Not even Brutal Legend, Dragon Age or Batman:Arkham Asylum?
Not really, I only buy games that really interest me nowadays. If I still a student where I only really spent money on games I'd probably consider them.

iggyus said:
Machines Are Us said:

Dragon Age: Origins is not a sequel and will be a huge hit
Unless you are psychic that's just speculation. The guy has a point considering that all these sequels coming out people really really want.

iggyus

Apr 18, 2009
Hey doesnt that guy look like Rick Astley?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu_moia-oVI

spuddyt

Nov 22, 2008
He's dead right. So long as a sequel is an improvement on the old one, i'll buy and enjoy it.