Science Figures Out How to Deal With the Zombie Apocalypse

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Science Figures Out How to Deal With the Zombie Apocalypse

Thanks to two Canadian researches who ran mathematical tests on a hypothetical zombie attack, we now know what exactly is the best way to deal with the walking dead. And it isn't playing nice.

We all have our own ideas about how best to deal with the onset of the inevitable zombie apocalypse. Some say a chainsaw and shotgun are the best way to go, others prefer flamethrowers. I myself would simply give up, being the pessimist that I am, but maybe now that there's a scientific study suggesting how we might best handle a zombie attack, I would consider my options.

Published in a book titled Infectious Diseases Modelling Research Progress, the study from rsearchers at the University of Ottawa and Carleton University models a hypothetical zombie attack and mathematically comes up with possible solutions. "We model a zombie attack using biological assumptions based on popular zombie movies," Professor Robert Smith said. "We introduce a basic model for zombie infection and illustrate the outcome with numerical solutions."

The zombies used in the study are your classic horror movie clunkers, not the Speedy Gonzalez types seen in flicks like 28 Days Later and games like Left 4 Dead. Nevertheless, even with this comparatively harmless species of zombie, the chances of our survival are still slim unless we "hit them hard and hit them often."

Expediency is the key to success, apparently. Simply capturing them won't work, and Shaun of the Dead style recuperation of zombies for use in the real world wouldn't fly either. The only thing that works is to get rid of the damn things. "It's imperative that zombies are dealt with quickly or else... we are all in a great deal of trouble," Smith said.

It sounds like a joke, but the study is a way of considering methods of disease control. Professor Neil Ferguson, who advised the UK government on the swine flu, said that a zombie attack does hold some similarities to real world epidemics. "None of them actually cause large-scale death or disease, but certainly there are some fungal infections which are difficult to eradicate," Ferguson said, citing chicken pox as an example.

So what's the conclusion? It sounds like mankind would be fighting a real uphill battle if zombies were for real. But Ferguson does have some hope that we would stand a fighting chance. "My understanding of zombie biology is that if you manage to decapitate a zombie then it's dead forever," he said. "So perhaps they are being a little over-pessimistic when they conclude that zombies might take over a city in three or four days."

Zerbye

Aug 1, 2008
So through this zombie metaphor, they suggest that the way to control a nasty virulent disease/real world epidemic is to hit the afflicted hard and often? Hopefully nobody tries to take this metaphor too literally...

odisious15

Nov 14, 2007
Even though this is all hypothetical I still have an extremely hard time believe that the shambler type of zombie would pose any large scale threat. The only way I could see an entire city be overtaken by them would be if the population consisted of NOTHING but hot blondes in high heels who can only run 3 feet before tripping; and even then I imagine some would still make it out alive.

Now if we were talking about super fucking fast zombies I'd probably agree with the findings but even then anyone who owned and new how to shoot a gun or has at least had common sense would probably be fine during a mass infestation.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
I don't think them taking over a city in a few days is that far fetched. The one thing zombies have to thier advantage is surprise and disbelief. I think after the first city falls the next one will take alot longer for them to take. People will be ready then.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
squid5580 said:
I don't think them taking over a city in a few days is that far fetched. The one thing zombies have to thier advantage is surprise and disbelief. I think after the first city falls the next one will take alot longer for them to take. People will be ready then.
That's provided the outbreak only occurs in one place to begin with. If it happened in several cities at once it would be a whole different story.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
odisious15 said:
Even though this is all hypothetical I still have an extremely hard time believe that the shambler type of zombie would pose any large scale threat. The only way I could see an entire city be overtaken by them would be if the population consisted of NOTHING but hot blondes in high heels who can only run 3 feet before tripping; and even then I imagine some would still make it out alive.

Now if we were talking about super fucking fast zombies I'd probably agree with the findings but even then anyone who owned and new how to shoot a gun or has at least had common sense would probably be fine during a mass infestation.
They have the element of surprise first off. By the time the warnings get out there and people get over the fact that they will have to decap neighbors, friends and family an army will have been raised. They also don't need to worry about things like food or sleep. They may be slow but they are steady. And no matter how many miles you put inbetween you and them they can always catch up to you.

j0z

Apr 23, 2009
Amazing, science is finally beginning to see thtrue threat that zombies pose to humanity. I am ready, I sleep with my Zombie Survival Guide under my pillow (seriously) and have plenty of firepower to take them out during WWZ!!

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
scnj said:
squid5580 said:
That's provided the outbreak only occurs in one place to begin with. If it happened in several cities at once it would be a whole different story.
Ya then we'd be screwed. We would need the army to win and if they are spread out like that we would be in trouble.

Affero-Dolor

Not a Pipe
Aug 17, 2009
I wonder though, how quickly could the infection spread to the entire world? Because I'm going to assume zombies can't swim, and for example, if mainland europe were threatened and the survivors came to the UK (after screening), then that could work. I mean honestly, screening for the zombie virus is easy.

'Strip naked please'
'OK'
'Oh, looks like you've been bitten there'
BLAM
*next!*

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
odisious15 said:

Bullets run out, guns can jam, chainsaws run out of gas and you can get really tired swinging a bat all day. Best bet is to run.

SamuelT

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2009
Country
Nederland
Rigs83 said:
Bullets run out, guns can jam, chainsaws run out of gas and you can get really tired swinging a bat all day. Best bet is to run.
And running doesn't tire?

Hiding would be your best bet.

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
The problem is, Zombies could easily spread by accident, like in left 4 dead when in the hospital you find all the crime scene tape. But once the surprise factor ended, then it would depend on the scale of the outbreak and if it can spread without biting etc. But at the end of the day, all you need is to know a source of weapons and the knowledge on how to use them to stand a chance. Even if it's like 28 months, remember the bit when the bloke gets out of the car and pushes it, the flamethrower units who kill him have no exposed flesh.

Least some American states stands more of a chance, us Brits have to fight to get a weapon...

nick4118

Jun 4, 2009
Not quite sure how to react to this, it's hilarious that the study existed but the results they got make sense...I mean aside from the whole zombie thing.

Feb 13, 2008
One thing people may not have thought of: The idea of "hit them hard and hit them fast" was already tried once.

In Vietnam.

Now, if you want Agent Orange/Napalm strikes across the world, it'll take out the Zombies, but is there going to be anything left fighting for? Especially if the Zombies start "changing".

sharks9

Mar 28, 2009
depends where they start their attack
if it's in America it would be shut down pretty fast but if it's somewhere that civilians cant easily get guns then it would be ALOT harder to contain.

Dark42

Jan 28, 2009
Samuel_of_Saruan said:
Rigs83 said:
And running doesn't tire?

Hiding would be your best bet.
Only if you can hide for as long as it takes for a zombie to rot to death.