GGF: Rights Holders Will Control Pirate Bay Content

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
GGF: Rights Holders Will Control Pirate Bay Content

The Pirate Bay [http://www.globalgamingfactory.com/index.html] by installing a "torrent management system" that gives rights holders the ability to remove unauthorized content.

Doubts about GGF's purchase of The Pirate Bay that surfaced last month [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93335-Pirate-Bay-Sale-Looking-Doubtful] appear to have been largely swept away. The company claims it has secured funding for the acquisition and that the deal is still on schedule; all that remains is to have the purchase approved by shareholders, who will vote on the matter next week. In order to help ensure their support, GGF management sent out a letter explaining its plan to turn the internet's most notorious file-sharing site into a legitimate service.

GGF intends to install software that will allow copyright holders to either authorize files for distribution on the new Pirate Bay or remove them from the site entirely. How exactly the system will work is unknown but rights holders will be "compensated" every time an authorized file is downloaded. Furthermore, GGF said it would "pay any penalties that may arise," although again, specifics regarding how these penalties would be incurred or paid weren't revealed.

Naturally, there's a risk that copyright holders could use the new system to simply remove everything from the site, stripping it of content and, ultimately, paying customers, but GGF management sees this as extremely unlikely. "The risk that rights holders will remove all content on The Pirate Bay at the date of acquisition is estimated as inexistent [sic] by GGF," the company said. "GGF's assessment after talks with the entertainment industry is that the majority of the content will remain on The Pirate Bay."

If shareholders approve the deal, The Pirate Bay will officially hand over the keys to GGF on August 27. I don't think it's necessarily a done deal, however; GGF hasn't yet secured any licensing agreements that will allow it to actually provide content, although it says it hopes to have deals with "most of the major movie studios and record labels" with a year. Even if all the other pieces fall into place, there's still the very practical consideration of whether a site like The Pirate Bay will be able to attract paying customers. A lot of questions remain unanswered and I wouldn't be surprised if shareholders are just a little bit antsy about giving this one the ol' rubber stamp.

Source: TorrentFreak [http://torrentfreak.com/how-the-pirate-bay-will-be-legalized-090819/]

Xvito

Aug 16, 2008
Um... I hope they realize that there are other websites out there.

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
i like the idea of having the job waiting to see if anyone posts your stuff up and then removing it...i would do it lol

Nov 5, 2007
Not crazy. Would transform TPB into some kind of giant digital distribution service. May be interesting depending on what the cost for the consumer will be and how much content will be available. That will also make sure that most of the content on the site will be of a certain quality.

Of course, the hardcore pirates will continue to steal while trying to justify their acts on other sites.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I can't see allowing licensors control over their materioal being any more effective than it is on YouTube (as in, not very). The amounts of data and people's tendency to get creative with file naming will make it difficult to hunt things down.

Adrimor said:
That's it. It's time for everybody to switch to Demonoid.
That's what I thought, beating the Pirate bay has been something of pyrrhic victory. It's only truly succeeded in pushing the pirates off to somewhere else. In much the same way closing Napster made precisely no dent at all in music piracy.
Let the next protracted round of legal battles ensue!

DamienHell

Oct 17, 2007
LOL GFF is certain that copy right holders will not all abandon the site, when asked about the user base they refused to comment.
How exactly buying a pirate site then CHARGING THEM MONEY! is a good idea I don't know.

GreigKM

Dec 9, 2008
Well, it was good while it lasted. Lets find another torrent site...
Can has Demonoid Invite Anyone?

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
GreigKM said:
I second that request, Matey!

In case another Spore-type screw up happens and I need to voice my RAEG at developers.
Or getting hold of decade old games I can never find (I'll pay for a copy of Future cop LAPD when I can find one :p)

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
Percutio said:
Pirate Bay Search

All Torrents Available

1. My Little Pony Sticker Pack [1 Seeder 1 Leacher]
I know its taking me forever to finish that download, stop limiting your uploads %^$%£!!

On topic, if I wanted to pay for everything I wouldnt need Pirate Bay in the first place, madness, utter madness

BonerMacTittyPants

Aug 3, 2009
So in other words, Piratebay is going to be like a big download site with game demos, wallpapers, movie trailers, and shareware software. Only in torrent technology.

Meh.

Yeah, like I already see people seeding the newest "free" media made by the oh so friendly corporations.

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
I find it ironic that this completely undermines the ideological "sticking-it-to-the-man" stand TPB was founded on in the first place. I'm sure most people won't care as long as they get free shit, but most of the upper echelon there has always seemed to think they were making a moral statement from it.

Considering that actually allowing copyright holders control will probably dramatically decrease the quality of torrents there, along with the somewhat self-righteous disgust they'll receive. (One of the reasons the pirate bay is so popular is the attitude they exude) And I can quickly see TPB fading into obscurity.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
Sebenko said:
GreigKM said:

In case another Spore-type screw up happens and I need to voice my RAEG at developers.
Or getting hold of decade old games I can never find (I'll pay for a copy of Future cop LAPD when I can find one :p)
I third that!

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
So there is still 1000000 other torrent sites..... I don't see trying to make TPB a "legitimate" business as a logical idea.

sturryz

Nov 17, 2007
Sebenko said:
GreigKM said:

Me's too, I never go on the website when registration is open:p

It will effect alot though because alot of these torrents depend upon TPB trackers.

Emphraim

Mar 27, 2009
sturryz said:
Sebenko said:
GreigKM said:

Me's too, I never go on the website when registration is open:p

It will effect alot though because alot of these torrents depend upon TPB trackers.
Actually, i only use Demonoid and I've never needed to use a torrent with external trackers there. Nearly anything you can imagine can be found on the site with demonoid trackers.

CUnk

Oct 24, 2008
The only reason people used TPB was to get shit for free that they were supposed to be paying for. Anything that comes short of that will be ignored. How can they be so blind?