PlayStation 3 Slim Includes Improved Audio Hardware

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
PlayStation 3 Slim Includes Improved Audio Hardware

Not only will the PS3 Slim take up less space in your cramped apartment and leave a smaller dent in your wallet, according to the tech afficianados at Engadget, the device includes better audio technology than its oversized predecessor.

To hear them tell it [http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/21/ps3-slim-bitsreams-dolby-truehd-and-dts-hd-ma-audio-at-last/]:

See the HDMI chip on previous generations of the PS3 didn't support bitstream output of the new(ish) high def codecs like Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA. As such, the PS3 had to decode it internally before sending it over to your receiver via LPCM. A process that could garble the lossless audio depending on your setup. Even though the vast majority of people will never notice the difference (or even care), PS3 Slim owners can still kick back in smug satisfaction each time the TrueHD or DTS-HD MA indicators light-up on their receivers.

Honestly my eyes glazed over after the first mention of "bitstream output," but those of you who consider yourselves audiophiles should have been able to follow that whole thing.

And, presumably, are on your way to trade in your PlayStation 3 for one of these new PS3 Slims, all the while giggling maniacally at the prospect of feeding your aural fixation.

Seriously, get help.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
It had problems?
Jumplion said:
Cool I suppose. I'm not much of an audiophille geek person, but still nice.
Neither am I but my main concern is will it come with the HD-cables?

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Aura Guardian said:
It had problems?
Jumplion said:
As far as I know, no, it won't be sold with HDMI cables. Though how hard could it be to find one cheap? [http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=HDMI+Cables&x=0&y=0]

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Jumplion said:
Aura Guardian said:
It had problems?
Jumplion said:
As far as I know, no, it won't be sold with HDMI cables. Though how hard could it be to find one cheap? [http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=HDMI+Cables&x=0&y=0]
I found 20 of them at Toys'r'us for $2.00 clearence. I got 3 of them hee hee.

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
Monoprice.com people: learn it, love it, take it home and introduce it to your family.

And it's nice that they're fixing this small thing that obviously isn't costing them that much (probably came part and parcel with whatever HDMI chipset they opted for in the new config), and only affects a small percentage of their user base. I mean, I bet 80, even 90% of their customers were buying their PS3s for reasons OTHER than its bitstream support for DTS-MA HD and Dolby TrueHD codecs, so it was really nice of them to go out of their way on this one to please that minority.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
I am not sure how big of an 'upgrade' this is. This is just passing the raw signal to a receiver rather than having the PS3 decode it and send the processed info to one.

Either way it will be neat to see the little 'True HD' icon turn on on my Denon.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Jumplion said:
Aura Guardian said:
It had problems?
Jumplion said:
Damn. I thought the $7 ones at newegg were cheap. Do they still just sell the crazy $75+ cables at stores like bestbuy and radio shack.

The improved audio is not exactly enough to make me want to trade in my fat for the slim. What I would like to see is custom soundtracks with any game: why is that such a point of difficulty. I wouldn't mind so much if the developers patched them in but devs don't even do it for the PS3 exclusives: I know of like 5 games with the feature.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
GonzoGamer said:
The improved audio is not exactly enough to make me want to trade in my fat for the slim. What I would like to see is custom soundtracks with any game: why is that such a point of difficulty. I wouldn't mind so much if the developers patched them in but devs don't even do it for the PS3 exclusives: I know of like 5 games with the feature.
I think a part of it is that (emphasize on I think) Microsoft patented custom sound tracks in games or something similar to that.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Jumplion said:
GonzoGamer said:
I think a part of it is that (emphasize on I think) Microsoft patented custom sound tracks in games or something similar to that.
I can't imagine they could get away with that; then again, they've gotten away with worse. How can you patent a feature like that.

Maybe the way they do it is patented, but to patent the ability itself is absurd.

There's got to be another way for Sony (or Nintendo) to make it possible without getting sued.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
GonzoGamer said:
Jumplion said:
GonzoGamer said:
I can't imagine they could get away with that; then again, they've gotten away with worse. How can you patent a feature like that.

Maybe the way they do it is patented, but to patent the ability itself is absurd.

There's got to be another way for Sony (or Nintendo) to make it possible without getting sued.
Again, heavy emphasis on I think.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
Jumplion said:
GonzoGamer said:
that would get tossed out if challenged as it's not really a patent and could easily be worked around

as for the topic on hand, i don't really care i'm not much of an audiophile or at least one that needs stuff like that

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
OK, so...
PS1 had a slim version
PS2 had a slim version
Nintendo had the gameboy and all other advances down the road
Then Play Station came out with it's PSP
And now the PS3 has a slim version.
So my question is this...where the hell is the XBOX 360 slim version and/or handheld?