Sony Apologetic Over UK Price Cuts

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Sony Apologetic Over UK Price Cuts

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe President Andrew House has said that the £50 drop on the PS3 in the UK was the best Sony could do.

With the official arrival of the new, slim PS3, much of the opposition that Sony has faced when trying to sell the console has been stripped away, but Sony acknowledges that UK gamers might feel a little hard done by.

"Consumers will absolutely always say £100 off is better than £50," admitted SCEE President Andrew House, "but within the current regiment we have right now we have done as much as we are able to."

The £50 House refers to is the amount cut from the PS3 price, the lowest percentage decrease of any territory. In the US and Europe, the price dropped by roughly 25%, while UK consumers have seen a reduction of only 17%. The price cut brings the PS3 closer into line with Microsoft's pricing for the Xbox 360, but it still remains the most expensive console in the UK market in terms of initial cost.

House implies that the relatively small price cut is the result of orders from higher up the chain than himself, and given his position, suggests that the Sony head office is worrying about the UK numbers.

Source: MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/35519/Sony-250-was-the-best-we-could-do]

FallenRainbows

Feb 22, 2009
Why England? worrying about numbers? Decrease price sell more... In the long term more profit. Silly silly Sony.

xHipaboo420x

Apr 22, 2009
That's a shame, but hardly a kicker. I'm going to buy a PS3 when the price comes down, and I guess I'll just have to grin and bear that it's not as good a deal as it could have been.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
"but within the current regiment we have right now we have done as much as we are able to."

Forgive me for being rude but...
Bollocks you filthy lieing money grubbing twat.

It's widely and well known that when it comes to the UK companies will try anything they can to get that little extra more out of us. It seems to a be a game, how much extra can we charge the English before they notice.

Sony's entire marketing strategy since 2006 can be summed up as 'charge as much as we think we can get away with, plus a little more,' and then he stands there and says 'sorry a smaller price cut than the one we gave everyone else was the best we could do,'. Utter, complete bollocks. I hope the slim PS3 does precisely nothing to remedy Sony's gradual decline. May all their TV's be faulty as well!

oliveira8 said:
Ah the UK...thats what you get for not getting on the Euro bandwagon.
Even if the UK was in the Euro zone they'd find an excuse.

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
fix-the-spade said:
It's widely and well known that when it comes to the UK companies will try anything they can to get that little extra more out of us. It seems to a be a game, how much extra can we charge the English before they notice.
you missed scotland out of this, but still my sentaments exactly.

Monocle Man

Apr 14, 2009
If I convert the UK price (which is £249, correct?) it still ends up slightly cheaper than the European's mainland price ?299.

Both are still hugely overpriced compared to the American price. I'll assume Australia is seeing unfair prices too.

Join the Screwed-By-Industry club, Britain, but you're still slightly cheaper.

Nincompoop

May 24, 2009
When the PS3 first arrived in the Faroe Islands, it went for 1,155 USD (700 GBP). I thought it was a little high maybe, but when it went down to 770 USD (466 GBP) I bought it happily. I still think it's a fair price. I'm gonna buy three more when the price cut arrives...

Feb 13, 2008
oliveira8 said:
And what we save our independence, gold standard, money, cooking, and many other things that we really don't want subsidised off to Germany.

All in all, a great deal for us.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Monocle Man said:
If I convert the UK price (which is £249, correct?) it still ends up slightly cheaper than the European's mainland price ?299.

Both are still hugely overpriced compared to the American price. I'll assume Australia is seeing unfair prices too.

Join the Screwed-By-Industry club, Britain, but you're still slightly cheaper.
Actually, 250 pounds = about 1250 PLN. And PS3 costs not 1300 PLN.

So HAHA Britain, you finally know our pain!!

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
arkwright said:
we should have never given the British empire away.
Damn right old bean, everywhere would use the Queens currency and there would be none of this conversion rate bullshit.
Activision are doing the same with Modern Warfare 2, saying that they need to charge more to make up for the british pound not being as strong anymore.

BRITAIN IS STILL STRONG.
WE BEAT THE NAZIS YOU KNOW.

Still, this old boy isnt going to complain, stiff upper lip.
At least they dropped the price eh?

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
"but within the current regiment we have right now we have done as much as we are able to."

Forgive me for being rude but...
Bollocks you filthy lieing money grubbing twat.

Sony's entire marketing strategy since 2006 can be summed up as 'charge as much as we think we can get away with, plus a little more,' and then he stands there and says 'sorry a smaller price cut than the one we gave everyone else was the best we could do,'. Utter, complete bollocks. I hope the slim PS3 does precisely nothing to remedy Sony's gradual decline. May all their TV's be faulty as well!

oliveira8 said:
Even if the UK was in the Euro zone they'd find an excuse.
Whoa, over react-ino baby. *hits a turned off yet plugged in Playstation, thereby turning it on* Aeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy...

This is just another example of the shitty economy, outrageous prices in everywhere other than the US of A, and being screwed in Australia.

FinalGamer

Mar 8, 2009
It's official. Sony fucking hate the UK. I knew it, my grudge was not in vain, they actually hate us, I thought it was Europe but oh no, it's us.

Nerf Ninja

Dec 20, 2008
So does that mean that according to their logic we were getting a better deal than anywhere else before the price cut?

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
What the? That new PS3 hardly looks shiny at all, I'm gonna stick with my fatass PS3 thank you very much.

OT: Since I already have a PS3 I think I'll just point and laugh.

oshin

Apr 25, 2008
Nincompoop said:
When the PS3 first arrived in the Faroe Islands, it went for 1,155 USD (700 GBP). I thought it was a little high maybe, but when it went down to 770 USD (466 GBP) I bought it happily. I still think it's a fair price. I'm gonna buy three more when the price cut arrives...
Ouch, islanders really get gouged for stuff.

For everybody whinging, please take note its still costs less that the ps3 in europe, at 287 euro conversion rate. Sony arent going to drop the price by 100 pounds because the console is still produced at a massive loss. Peoples logic about selling more is fail sony have obviously worked it out that the loss on consoles wouldn't be made back by royalties on games.

Its also worth noting that not being in the eurozone may not be a bad thing, being able to devalue your currency can have some advantages, the main ones being that everybody takes a less noticeable hit, but goods get more expensive, it may lead to less pay cuts and job losses(the jurys out on it really though). Ultimately were in the middle of a recession, may people are going to lose there jobs and living will be tough for many, 50 quid on a console is probably the least of most peoples worries at this point

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
McCa said:
Why England? worrying about numbers? Decrease price sell more... In the long term more profit. Silly silly Sony.
Yea but in order to decrease prices and turn a profit the PS3 will have to become cheaper to produce. AND people will have to buy them.

Its going to take them a LONG time but then again didn't it take the PS2 8-10 years to turn a profit?