BlizzCon '09: WoW: Cataclysm Goblin Hands-On

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
BlizzCon '09: WoW: Cataclysm Goblin Hands-On

The new Goblin race gets up to all sorts of mischief in World of Warcraft: Cataclysm.

As a Horde player, I refuse to try out the demo of the Worgen starting area Blizzard has up for play here at BlizzCon, but judging from Funk's impressions [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94088-BlizzCon-09-WoW-Cataclysm-Worgen-Hands-On] of the experience, it sounds like a complete 180 from what I got my hands on when I booted up a level 6 Goblin Mage. Compared to what seems like the more straightforwardly serious tone of the Worgen content, the Goblin content is decidedly lighthearted.

It all started with my character lying unconscious on a raft floating near a beach. The goblins, part of the Bilgewater Cartel, have been shipwrecked, and once I got resuscitated (via defibrillator), it was time to aid the relief effort. That means running around collecting supplies, killing raptors and throwing explosive bananas at the monkeys who are ruining everything by throwing bombs (yeah I don't know) at my goblin fellows.

The quest area was extremely crowded, and it took a good half hour before I finished the first set of quests. Mobs are constantly spawning and getting tagged before I can get to them, supplies I need are swiped just as I go to click on them. But it gets done, at which point I moved down to a handful of quests in a nearby cave, finish those, and then head for the hills.

There I get to do some groundskeeping. An orc is standing in the middle of a jungle full of hundreds of feral looking plants. He hands me an item which puts me into "weed whacker" mode: I start spinning around while holding a giant blade, doing a whirlwind like the Barbarian from Diablo. It's an easy and fun quest - 100 plants go down easy as I slice through them.

The quirky quests continue from there. Next, I'm paired up with an Orc Scout and asked to kill some cloaked human spies. I put on a pair of infrared goggles (quest name: "Infrared? More Like Infra-Dead!" or something like that) which highlights the invisible bad guys and they're easy to take down. After that, I steal a gyrocopter from a gnome and fly to an Alliance ship, where I have to recover "precious cargo" that turns out to be (SPOILER ALERT from here on out) none other than Thrall himself.

Thrall turns me into a giant typhoon and I fly around the ships, sending lightning bolts down and killing 50 some humans in a matter of a couple minutes. It's very lightheartedly violent, and quite empowering. After that I meet up with Thrall again and have basically made my way from shipwrecked refugee to full-on member of the Horde. Not all my goblin NPC bros are cool with this, but whatever. I get into a giant catapult and take a rocketship to the other side of the island, where I'm met with an invisible wall and the end of the demo.

Or is it? There is a whale-sized hammerhead shark in the ocean, a level 10 Elite. I swim toward it, and get one-shotted. Game over. Hmm. Maybe I shouldn't have signed up for the Horde.

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
The first 5 levels of these starters must be epic if they don't want to show them.

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
poncho14 said:
The first 5 levels of these starters must be epic if they don't want to show them.
It's possible that's just a racial thing with them locked at a moderate level due to their backgrounds and start-up conditions?

Cataclysm seems just plain crazy to me.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
VitusPrime said:
What racial skills do goblins get By the way?
Best Deals Anywhere: Cheap discounts on everything.
Better Living Through Chemistry: More effective potions, etc.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
That's it, where's my wallet? Need to make sure Blizzard has all my financial information XD

VitusPrime

Sep 26, 2008
The only other thing i don't get about the goblins.
Is this all of the goblins joining the horde or is it a group of goblins, Like the trolls of the horde are only a small group of the trolls in the entire world??

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
VitusPrime said:
The only other thing i don't get about the goblins.
Is this all of the goblins joining the horde or is it a group of goblins, Like the trolls of the horde are only a small group of the trolls in the entire world??
The latter. Think of the different Cartels like different troll Tribes. The Darkspear Tribe joins the Horde, as the Bilgewater Cartel joins the Horde. But this doesn't effect, say, the Steamwheedle Cartel (Gadgetzan, Booty Bay, Ratchet, Everlook).

Brett Alex

Jul 22, 2008
Keane Ng said:
but whatever. I get into a giant catapult and take a rocketship to the other side of the island
There is nothing about that that doesn't sound awesome.

Soulgaunt

Jan 14, 2009
Ok, that's it, I'm getting a new computer no matter what!
*Looks in wallet.
Awwwww.... :(

stormcaller

Sep 6, 2008
Goblin rogue all the way.

But, what is that standing behind them? I'm intrigued.

These changes look great and seem to play great.

BunJ

Jul 26, 2009
stormcaller said:

The thing standing behind them was the kid who took your lunch money in middle-school.

I was very skeptical of goblins at first but this has put my faith in them. i wonder if it's gonna be like BE and DKs?

stormcaller

Sep 6, 2008
BunJ said:
stormcaller said:

The thing standing behind them was the kid who took your lunch money in middle-school.

I was very skeptical of goblins at first but this has put my faith in them. i wonder if it's gonna be like BE and DKs?
What do you mean? I was the kid who took peoples lunch money. No wait correction, they 'gave' us 'some' of their food because they were our 'good friends'.

I was skeptical of the entire expansion but after defending it for the last two days in guild chat I can safely say I love it.

Mordwyl

Feb 5, 2009
I've been wanting to play a goblin ever since news of World of Warcraft came out some time after Frozen Throne's release.

It'll be very difficult not to give the game a second chance now that Blizzard are making my wet dream come true. :(