170: Artistic License

Daniel Purvis

Apr 21, 2008
Artistic License

"Last month, the team at Blue Tongue reached a new milestone for the company: They completed a game that, when originally green-lit, led to "a moment of unbounded joy" when "the clouds part and a beam of light shines down and you go, 'Oh my God, we have complete creative freedom to do whatever we like with this title.'" These are the words of Blue Tongue's Creative Director, Nick Hagger, about their latest release, de Blob. Like any other developer, however, they had to earn their time in the sun."

Read Full Article

Girlysprite

Nov 9, 2007
Funny stuff is, that this game (the first concept) has been made on the school i was on too, by people I knew. It's great that it reaches so far, shows that even (humble) studends can create a great concept which makes it far into the world.

Ultrajoe

Omnichairman
Apr 24, 2008
I actually really appreciate this article for the glimpse it gives to what goes on behind the scenes of what appears a simple game.

When a game has been done well, it should appear as if it had not been designed at all, rather mined from some godly ore in the frontal lobe of one mans vision and then given form. Games like 'Portal' and 'N' do this brilliantly, a simplicity of design and function that integrates with the player so seamlessly it leaves far more room for having a truckload of fun (and in the case of both the games mentioned, a great deal of rocketing through empty space around turrets)

And so its rather easy not to smell the blood, sweat and tears poured into games like this (Of which i am prematurely elevating de Blob, to good or ill end i do not know) and articles like this allow appreciative fools like me a window into the world behind them.

Although now that i have read it, i cant experience that feeling aforementioned. The one with the mine and the frontal lobe...

So... thank you?

MpSai

Jun 25, 2008
de Blob is great, hands down. The Wii desperately needs more good, well-rounded games like it.