StarCraft II Will Have LAN After All - Almost

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
StarCraft II Will Have LAN After All - Almost

Desperate to play StarCraft II with your buddies but don't want to have to go through Battle.Net 2.0 to do it? Lead designer Dustin Browder says that the game is likely to ship with LAN functionality after all ... kind of.

I can't help but really wonder if Blizzard saw the backlash from the "footnote in history," [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92748-Update-StarCraft-II-Will-Not-Support-LAN] it looks like Big Blue is willing to compromise after all.

Earlier today, we reported [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94119-Blizzard-Lack-of-StarCraft-LAN-No-Big-Deal] on some head-scratching remarks from Blizzard VP Rob Pardo, whose remarks essentially boiled down to, "We don't think anyone will really need LAN, but if people do need LAN, we'll work on giving them something like it." Now, it looks like we have some clarification on exactly what they're doing.

SC2 Lead Designer Dustin Browder told Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=24953] that while the goal of having an "integrated experience" for their players via Battle.net was still crucial to the company - "We really wanted to bring all these players together and keep them in the same pool, and make everything work, so your achievements work, your friends list works, everything just works correctly, as opposed to having two separated ways to play" - they were working on an option to allow for the best of both worlds: LAN-level connectivity, but a plug into Battle.net regardless.

Greg Canessa, the Lead Designer for Battle.net (formerly of interview with Shacknews [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94134-Is-There-a-Zombie-on-Blizzards-Lawn], saying that Blizzard's goal was to enable low-ping connectivity between players while keeping a minimal connection to Battle.net: "Maintaining a connection with Battle.net, I don't know if it's once or periodically, but then also having a peer-to-peer connection between players to facilitate a very low-ping, high-bandwidth connection.. those are the things that we're working on."

As I understand it, then, the proposed system would require an initial internet connection to authenticate via the Battle.net servers, and then would revert to normal peer-to-peer functionality, perhaps checking in every so often to update friends lists and the like.

If my understanding is correct and that is in fact their proposed system, I... find it hard to see a downside. The primary complaint I see against the lack of LAN functionality is that sending truckloads of data through a single pipeline (say at a tournament) will result in serious bottlenecks, and it's a similar problem for people with slow connections or for those who might be behind firewalls - like college students. As long as the only information being sent to Battle.net is a simple authenticity check, you could probably have a LAN party and not need anything more than a 56k modem.

It sounds like a perfectly fair compromise to me, but there's no way of knowing what exactly the system will be like until, well, we simply learn more about it. Either way, though, Diablo III chief Jay Wilson confirmed that his game would be supporting the same pseudo-LAN functionality, so if it works well, that should be cause for rejoicing.

Feb 13, 2008
Hrrrm, I still smell a rat. What's so tough in just putting in a LAN mode and not having to go through Battlenet which is notorious for packet sniffing?
Anyone who's seen the list of online cheats available for TF2 or the screaming TK'ers in L4D might want the game away from the net for that very reason.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
well if yer theory is right.... wouldn't this leave the door wide open for stat modification? since the whole idea is to be able to track stats across yer accounts lifetime, and not having a solid connection to bnet during this possible LAN play would prevent Blizzard from keeping a handle on what's being modified and all that... i dunno, sounds like there's some potential for abuse, unless of course they disable those "features" (not referring to friends list and that kinda thing) for LAN play. of course, i don't know what all the benefits of being connected to bnet so far are, so i could be speculating absolute nonsense right now.

Destal

Jul 8, 2009
Hopefully this will quiet the 100,000 people bitching about LAN. You had to know that Blizzard is usually pretty damn good at customer pleasing, one way or another.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Win. Too bad my PC will never run it.

uppitycracker said:
well if yer theory is right.... wouldn't this leave the door wide open for stat modification? since the whole idea is to be able to track stats across yer accounts lifetime, and not having a solid connection to bnet during this possible LAN play would prevent Blizzard from keeping a handle on what's being modified and all that... i dunno, sounds like there's some potential for abuse, unless of course they disable those "features" (not referring to friends list and that kinda thing) for LAN play. of course, i don't know what all the benefits of being connected to bnet so far are, so i could be speculating absolute nonsense right now.
Simple. LAN games won't count for stats.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
This sounds like something we'll have to experience for ourselves before we can tell whether it's good or not.

Regardless, it's good to see that Blizzard has lowered the middle finger that was pointing at the fans.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Hrrrm, I still smell a rat. What's so tough in just putting in a LAN mode and not having to go through Battlenet which is notorious for packet sniffing?
Anyone who's seen the list of online cheats available for TF2 or the screaming TK'ers in L4D might want the game away from the net for that very reason.
I don't think it's a matter of it being tough, I just think that this is a core facet of their philosophy moving forward - having B.net 2.0 as a core service for all of their games - and the challenge is successfully integrating it with LAN gameplay.

SirSchmoopy

Apr 15, 2008
Durrpaaadurrr reread the article or better yet go watch the SC2 panel from Blizzcon on friday. The online experience is part of the new battle new. Achievements, friends list, updates, the marketplace and whatever else is part of the game they are trying to create. Would you like to play World of Warcraft offline? Do you think playing it offline would take away something from the experience? Thats the point.

I really wish people would WAIT and play the new experience before running off and ranting making petitions for LAN when they don't even know the services that are offered.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
SirSchmoopy said:
Durrpaaadurrr reread the article or better yet go watch the SC2 panel from Blizzcon on friday. The online experience is part of the new battle new. Achievements, friends list, updates, the marketplace and whatever else is part of the game they are trying to create. Would you like to play World of Warcraft offline? Do you think playing it offline would take away something from the experience? Thats the point.

I really wish people would WAIT and play the new experience before running off and ranting making petitions for LAN when they don't even know the services that are offered.
You're talking about the gaming community at large, the same people who flew the fuck off the handle when Valve announced L4D2. Patience is about as foreign as moderation.

Hell even I'm guilty of overreacting on this one simply because I trust Blizzard for the same length of time that WoW could hold my interest (which is to say the combined lengths of the Onyxia Wipe and Leeroy Jenkins videos).

SirSchmoopy

Apr 15, 2008
AceDiamond said:
SirSchmoopy said:
You're talking about the gaming community at large, the same people who flew the fuck off the handle when Valve announced L4D2. Patience is about as foreign as moderation.
Yeah. After thinking about it I realized my point is in vain. Nintendo could release an image of Super Mario with a blue hat and shit would hit the fan within minutes on the internet.

Graustein

Jun 15, 2008
Not to sound like a Blizzard fanboy, but I did pretty much expect something like this. I couldn't comprehend how Blizzard would completely abandon LAN, but they resolutely kept saying that Battle.net would be involved in multiplayer. This seems the pretty obvious compromise. I also don't doubt that Blizzard had this planned and were testing the waters with their initial announcement. Maybe they had this solution laid out but preferred not to implement it if they could.

obisean

May the Force Be With Me
Feb 3, 2009
What about our troops? Do they have connection to the internet 24/7? No. Will they be able to play against their friends on base? No.

BLIZZARD HATES OUR TROOPS.

Feb 13, 2008
SirSchmoopy said:
Possibly because those people got the idea of LAN looked into, given that it wasn't going to be offered earlier.

Personally, I just quite like to play a game, not "have the whole gaming experience", because that makes me feel like I'm about to be sold some hatchet job in Curry's. Surely Timmy has taught you never to trust the random magical items that are given out?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
obisean said:
What about our troops? Do they have connection to the internet 24/7? No. Will they be able to play against their friends on base? No.

Unless the USAF mechanic in my WoW guild is lying about being stationed in Kuwait, I'm pretty sure they can find internet somewhere.

Feb 13, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
obisean said:

Unless the USAF mechanic in my WoW guild is lying about being stationed in Kuwait, I'm pretty sure they can find internet somewhere.
Ask him about the chicken and garlic burgers they do in the Sukh's. They're to die for.
There was a good one just off the Al-Farabi Roundabout in Hawally.

obisean

May the Force Be With Me
Feb 3, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
obisean said:

Stationed is not the same as deployed.