Twitter Denied "Tweet" Trademark

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Twitter Denied "Tweet" Trademark

In a bid to "protect" a term that has been indelibly linked with the popular microblogging site, Twitter recently attempted to trademark the term "tweet," only to have the US Patent and Trademark Office turn them down.

Was Twitter's request shot down because "tweet" is such a common term and the idea of trademarking it is ridiculous? Nope, turns out three other companies who exist purely to create programs that rely on Twitter's API are already battling it out for the "tweet" trademark.

Tweetmarks, Cotweet and Tweetphoto are all working to nab legal rights [http://www.brandrepublic.com/News/928649/Twitter-loses-bid-trademark-tweet/] to a word that, a few years ago, had no real non-avian meaning, and the USPTO apparently feels that Twitter is a bit too late to a party that would not exist if it hadn't created an entirely new definition for the verb form of "tweet" to begin with.

Until such a time as this debacle is straightened out, the USPTO has officially recommended that all small birds remain silent, lest they incur retroactive penalties from lawsuits that may or may not exist at some indeterminate point in the future.

(Image [http://www.flickr.com/photos/wonderferret/2680539745/sizes/l/])

Whistler777

Nov 14, 2008
And to think, I'm one of the few people who still doesn't know what the fucking point of Twitter is...

I think it's a bit ridiculous to try to copyright such a common word.

walls of cetepedes

Jul 12, 2009
Whistler777 said:
And to think, I'm one of the few people who still doesn't know what the fucking point of Twitter is...

Weeeell, in recent news... the word 'Edge'.

j0z

Apr 23, 2009
Was Twitter's request shot down because "tweet" is such a common term and the idea of trademarking it is ridiculous?
That was what I thought as soon as I read the headline, and I was going to channel my anger into a single, epic post. But no such luck.
OT- I would think that Twitter should get it, they coined the term (at least I think).

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
So when one of these twats patent tweets what will Tweeters be renamed?

Miniaturised electromagneticly motivated sound wave creating oscillation based cones?

Destal

Jul 8, 2009
Whistler777 said:

Don't worry I'm with you here, I really would rather not know when you are going to the bathroom.

Tweet should be reserved for the sound a bird makes.

Arachon

Jun 23, 2008
So we copyright common words in the English language? What's next, we can copyright ideologies?

Jim Grim

Jun 6, 2009
I once had a quick look at one person's Twitter page and instantly hit by how bad it looked. Disregarding the fact that most information presented on the site is both useless and boring, it also strikes me as being poorly designed and layed out.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
This just in, a new tweet about tweets in the legal system, tweets are going to be trademarked, or tweetmarked!
I couldn't resist a Smurf-like joke, no matter how horribly lame it was, it burned my brain now let it burn your eyes!

Whistler777

Nov 14, 2008
Fat Man Spoon said:
Whistler777 said:

Weeeell, in recent news... the word 'Edge'.
Edge? Do tell me what you're talking about.

Gerazzi

Feb 18, 2009
There seems to be no length that people will go to in order to copyright meaningless verbs/nouns.

Glerken

Dec 18, 2008
I hate Twitter. I really do.
I don't care when you are taking a shit. I really don't.

TheTygerfire

Jun 26, 2008
Glerken said:
I hate Twitter. I really do.
I don't care when you are taking a shit. I really don't.
You've obviously never even seen a good twitter account. No one actually posts that.

syndicated44

Apr 25, 2009
I am thoroughly against twitter and just about all social networking sites. There is no usefulnes to them beyond having a popularity contest online and for weird screwed up people to stalk you.

On the whole trademarking thing what the hell is up with people trying to trademark everything? Pretty soon you are gonna have to pay royalties to speak a sentence.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Never used it, what exactly is the different between that and facebook status messages?