Second LittleBigRecall on the Way

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Second LittleBigRecall on the Way

Retailers are reportedly once again being told to box up their copies of LittleBigPlanet and send them back - though this time, it doesn't seem to be all that warranted.

The first recall of LittleBigPlanet was at launch, when the discovery of phrases from the Quran, the primary holy book of Islam, sparked controversy and anger among the Muslim community [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/86884-LittleBigPlanet-Delayed-Over-Religious-Controversy]. That fiasco resulted in a three-prong solution for Sony and Media Molecule: The game was delayed, a patch was released, and many copies were in fact physically recalled.

Now, reports The Examiner [http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-12218-Providence-Video-Game-Examiner~y2009m8d27-LittleBigRecall-for-LBP], GameStop employees received a notice to pack up existing copies of LittleBigPlanet once again, only this time it isn't for religious regions.

Why the recall? Well, the LittleBigPlanet Game of the Year Edition will be shipping on September 8th, and apparently Gamestop only wants to offer one SKU - it's the GotY Edition for you, or nothing at all.

This seems sort of silly to me, to be honest. What are they going to do with all of the non-GotY copies of LBP? Repackage them as the shiny new version? Throw them in the landfill next to E.T. (a fate the game certainly wouldn't deserve)? I can understand the desire to reduce confusion, but as I understand the situation, it's just kind of ... wasteful.

Cuddly Knife

May 20, 2009
That's very silly. Cheap tactics for the loss. Maybe because the know that since they release goty version that people will just want to buy the cheaper normal version. Lame.

TheGreenManalishi

May 22, 2008
Cuddly Knife said:
That's very silly. Cheap tactics for the loss. Maybe because the know that since they release goty version that people will just want to buy the cheaper normal version. Lame.
I wouldn't. Given the choice, I'd get GOTY. Only, I got the older version already.

Cuddly Knife

May 20, 2009
TheGreenManalishi said:
Cuddly Knife said:
I wouldn't. Given the choice, I'd get GOTY. Only, I got the older version already.
Same here, but still, people should have that choice. I think I wouldn't be a bad thing anyways. hmm, little Timmy only has 30.00usd to buy a game. He wanted LBP, but since it's only GotY edition, he'll have to pay 60.00usd. Sorry Timmy. Looks like you gotta get GI Joe.

SMOKEMNHALO2001

Sep 10, 2008
It's GameStop, they'll just say it's "used" and resale them for themselves and if not that, they'll find another way to make money off of it.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
When the hell did LBP become "game of the year"? It's a nice little "softcore" title that should really have been a PSN game rather than an actual retail title (most pointless use of Blu-ray tech since Play-TV) but how can we take the "Game of the Year" title seriously if the likes of Call of Duty 4 are held up along side Littlebigplanet?

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
They'll give em' to the homeless!

[small]Then force them to buy the new PS3 Slim.[/small]

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
Treblaine said:
When the hell did LBP become "game of the year"? It's a nice little "softcore" title that should really have been a PSN game rather than an actual retail title (most pointless use of Blu-ray tech since Play-TV) but how can we take the "Game of the Year" title seriously if the likes of Call of Duty 4 are held up along side Littlebigplanet?
the Game of the Year thing isn't exclusive to Call of Duty games, there have been many of them over the years.

as for Little Big Planet being Game of the Year, it frankly deserves that title more than Call of Duty does, it was actually one of the only truly original and FUN games that came out last year

Ghost8585

Jul 21, 2009
cleverlymadeup said:
Treblaine said:
the Game of the Year thing isn't exclusive to Call of Duty games, there have been many of them over the years.

as for Little Big Planet being Game of the Year, it frankly deserves that title more than Call of Duty does, it was actually one of the only truly original and FUN games that came out last year
I'm a little lost here though, isn't Bethesda making a FO3 GOTY edition? So which one won GOTY? And who gives out this award anyways?

OneHP

Optimist Laureate
Jan 31, 2008
Ghost8585 said:
cleverlymadeup said:
Treblaine said:

I'm a little lost here though, isn't Bethesda making a FO3 GOTY edition? So which one won GOTY? And who gives out this award anyways?
Everyone gives out GOTY awards so they can both do it easily, I remember UT got 50+ GOTY awards.

Kojiro ftt

Apr 1, 2009
They will sell those copies to someplace like woot.com or overstock.com. They would never throw away games, that's a waste of money.

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
Cuddly Knife said:
Maybe, but I was in Gamestop a while ago, and my mate had asked me to keep an eye out for Fable 2 going cheap, because there was some new extended version of it so he was looking for an original (as by the above logic, cheaper version). Anyway, long story short, I saw the new Version (can't remember what the exact title was but "GOTY" is close enough) it was E45 and the old version (obviously actually brand new and not second hand) was E55 (and 99c).

Just because something is "less value" doesn't mean it's cheaper.

And also, Gamestop sucks.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Ghost8585 said:
cleverlymadeup said:
Treblaine said:

Well Fallout 3 got it from the Industry itself and publications, LBP got it from the industry and also publications like Edge (you know, the guys who didn't bow down and worship Killzone 2 as the almighty FPS). In fact, I have no problem with their being a GOTY edition of LBP even though I don't see the point seeing as how it didn't meet Sony's sales expectations (gee I wonder why) and thus might not sell that much more with a GOTY edition, but it does deserve one, unlike Gears of War 2 which was not voted game of the year by anybody except Spike and they are hardly authoritative, and yet Gears 2 is getting a GOTY edition. I miss the days when there was one definitive game of the year (Homeworld: 1999, Deus Ex: 2001 for example)

rated pg

Aug 21, 2008
TheGreenManalishi said:
Cuddly Knife said:
Really? You'd rather pay for free content rather than just get the cheaper version and download the content yourself?

Ghost8585

Jul 21, 2009
OneHP said:
Ghost8585 said:
cleverlymadeup said:
Treblaine said:

Everyone gives out GOTY awards so they can both do it easily, I remember UT got 50+ GOTY awards.
Hmmmmm, interesting. Well, I would be more concerned if Sony asked other retailers to pack 'em up and send back, simply because Gamestop is the rip-off king. If they ask Best Buy, Target, ect. to do the same then yeah, Sony gettin' shady.