Square-Enix Launches Site Teasing ... Modern Warfare 2?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Square-Enix Launches Site Teasing ... Modern Warfare 2?

Big-name JRPG studio Square-Enix has put up a teaser site that teases its next game: Activision's Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 2...?

There's really no question about what this new teaser site [http://www.square-enix.co.jp/2/] is for. Even if it weren't for the gigantic "2" in the style of the Modern Warfare 2 logo, or the rotating quotations about warfare from Ronald Reagan and John F. Kennedy to Bertrand Russel, the fact that the bottom of the screen discreetly contains legal information about Activision and the Call of Duty series seals the deal: This is a site advertising Modern Warfare 2.

It seems kind of odd, doesn't it? After all, Activision is one of the biggest names in the industry, and given their assertions that MW2 could be the best-selling game of all time [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90653-Modern-Warfare-2-Best-Seller-of-All-Time], why wouldn't they want to capitalize on that by publishing it absolutely everywhere?

Well, that's because Activision's Japan branch no longer exists - it shut its doors at the end of last year [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3171812]. So I guess it falls to Japan's native Square-Enix, here. While it's tempting to imagine that Square-Enix's involvement will alter the game by giving Soap McTavish an Eiffel-Tower hairstyle and adding two-minute summon sequences to the multiplayer ... in actuality, they probably won't be changing much of the game at all.

Which is a bit of a shame. Maybe those changes would help an FPS actually sell well in Japan for once.

(Joystiq [http://www.vg247.com/2009/08/28/rumour-square-enix-to-publish-modern-warfare-2-in-japan/])

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
...They really weren't kidding. But to be honest if that game sells past 1 million in Japan I'll eat my boxers. FPS games over there sell about as well as interactive hentai games/eroge over here.

CloudKiller

Rather Irritated Mage
Jun 30, 2008
great... they'll end up with both teams standing in a line and taking turns to shoot and just just when you think you've won they get a limit break that makes all shots headshots and once you reach lvl 50 you can cast the shoot through cover spell, the Japs will love it.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
I think it'll sell well just for having the SE brand attached to it. At the very least, it wouldn't surprise me if it boosted sales a bit.

GamerLuck

Questionably Opinionated
Jul 13, 2009
What is with the Japanize and their obsession with wacky haircuts, obvious componsation issues resulting in car sized weapons, and turn based combat? Sure they probably have the same question about the rest of us and our droning valor speaches, and glorification of warfare, but its still a question i would like answered...

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
..........wow...........

..........I think this may be the first intercontinental "awkward silence" ever..........

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
I'm crying bro tears by the bucket thinking that there is a populous first world country where an FPS cannot break a million in sales. Why, just why? I just can't handle it. I won't be able to sleep tonight.

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
Why don't FPSes sell well in Japan? I don't see a real reason as to why they WOULDN'T.. maybe because all the recent FPS offerings have been WWII games and you can't really put those in a perspective that THEY would like..

Deathsong17

Feb 4, 2009
GamerLuck said:
What is with the Japanize and their obsession with wacky haircuts, obvious componsation issues resulting in car sized weapons, and turn based combat? Sure they probably have the same question about the rest of us and our droning valor speaches, and glorification of warfare, but its still a question i would like answered...
No from the West likes TBC, eh?

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
Greyfox105 said:
Cajt said:
Final Fantasy: Modern Warfare?

The horror.
I... agree.
JRPG Terrorists with oversized guns and turn-based combat
*Shudders*
JRPG terrorist would be insane.
Running around with guns and swords blowing up reactors.
Storming schools and murdering the students.
Blowing up airships.
Gatecrashing weddings.
Bringing down the government.

It would be terrifying.

[small] And yes, people may spot that I picked events from FF7-12 :)[/small]