Virtual Monkeys Coming to PS3 in November

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Virtual Monkeys Coming to PS3 in November

Forget Natal, the future is now. Sony has confirmed a US release date for EyePet, the PlayStation 3 virtual pet simulator.

EyePet will be coming to North American audiences on November 17, 2009. Two packages will be available: just the game for $39.99, and the game bundled with a PlayStation Eye camera (required to play) for $59.99.

EyePet uses the PlayStation Eye to allow players to interact with an on-screen monkey pet ... thing. The pet can be played with in various ways, such as scratching its belly, simply by using your hands. I wonder how well this will work in practice, and just how much the background that the PlayStation Eye is pointed at will matter, but it still looks like an interesting piece of software.

In case that sounds boring on its own, EyePet does have a bit more depth to it. Using the included "magic card," all types of virtual objects can be brought into the pet's environment, including a trampoline and a shower nozzle. Your pet can also get sick and will need to be diagnosed with a medical scanner. Of course, the pet can be dressed up with over 250 collectible items, putting the title into direct competition with Petz Fashion: Dogz & Catz.

An interesting feature is the ability for players to draw shapes on a piece of paper that are copied into the game and assembled into cars, airplanes, and other objects for the pet to ride on or play with. How this feature will work exactly isn't clear to me, and it seems like preset shapes would need to be used somehow, but who knows? Unfortunately, a recent GamesCom demo video [http://www.viddler.com/explore/sceablog/videos/542/2.263] does not show the drawing feature, but it does show just about everything else. Remember kids, just because it's a virtual pet doesn't mean it should be carelessly abused.

Source: PlayStation Blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/08/28/eyepet-in-stores-on-november-17/]

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
So basically it's a tamagotchi only much more expensive?

At least they are broadening their audience now, but one can't help but wonder if this is a little too late? The shapes mechanic is new to me, I thought only Natal had that, so that's interesting. Is the Eye any different from the EyeToy?

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
ChromeAlchemist said:
At least they are broadening their audience now, but one can't help but wonder if this is a little too late? The shapes mechanic is new to me, I thought only Natal had that, so that's interesting. Is the Eye any different from the EyeToy?
the Eye is the new name for the EyeToy, the changed it for the PS3

as for the Natal stuff, the Eye has been able to do this for a while now. Natal really is just a rip off and will be the same as the Eye when it comes out

hansari

May 31, 2009
Unless they keep updating this, the Eyepet will get old within a week of release...

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
this sounds really fucking boring. and wut? 100$ for an annoying little monkey? i could get 2 ps3 games for that price.

jh322

May 14, 2008
The technology in this is actually really impressive, it shows that sony have had the foundations of a system like Natal for a long time. Now, I know Natal is considerably more sophisticated, with things like voice recognition and so on, but this is really impressive, considering that the peripheral has existed basically unchanged for years.

Although I don't really know what I would want, I don't want this game. I think it's very clever, and a less creepy, slightly less interesting Mylo, but I won't buy it. I won't play it if I see it someone else's place. The only reason I'd play this would be if your pet could get stronger and learn game-specific perks, and you can have him on your shoulder playing games like Drake's fortune. Imagine sending a monkey you've played with for hours around in a little helicopter hat so you can look at a room at the top of a building or whatever, that would be cool. The only other thing I'd consider getting this for would be if it could be used as a background to the XBM, like when you load up your PS3, you can just mess with a monkey before you start playing for a minute or so, but I wouldn't really want to have to look after him in that situation.

But, like I say, very clever stuff. Not quite capable of what Natal is, but I don't suppose they're claiming that it is. Really impressive nonetheless.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
jh322 said:
But, like I say, very clever stuff. Not quite capable of what Natal is, but I don't suppose they're claiming that it is. Really impressive nonetheless.
i don't think Natal will do a lot of what they claim, in fact i think the PS3 Eye can do most of what Natal can do.

voice recognition isn't that great and they have a LOT of issues with it, i can't wait till the Glaswegians get a hold of Natal and start talking to it

FallenRainbows

Feb 22, 2009
cleverlymadeup said:
jh322 said:
i don't think Natal will do a lot of what they claim, in fact i think the PS3 Eye can do most of what Natal can do.

voice recognition isn't that great and they have a LOT of issues with it, i can't wait till the Glaswegians get a hold of Natal and start talking to it
You made me lol. Good day to you sir *tips hat*

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
The technology is really impressive, but the game seems lame none the less.

Wait... can we fight them against one another?

5stringedbandit

Jun 6, 2009
If you can remember the old eyetoy on PS2 then you will remember they pulled off the old interactivity, in the right level of brightness anyway....

ila

Jul 29, 2008
It's still the most obnoxious looking face ever. Makes you want to drop a stack of PS3s and XBox's on it.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Reminds me of Natal. Seems like it will be uninteresting after the first week, unless there's cool stuff you can unlock.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Who in their right mind would have this so-cute-it-makes-you-want-to-puke game as the début app for the PS3 Eyetoy's newly advertised functionality?

Bring on Sony-motion-controller I say but considering it doesn't even have an official name at the moment I have a worrying feeling that the spring 2010 release date is more of a "target" than a declaration.

It would be so great to finally see a real competitive bout between Sony and Microsoft with motion controls as Nintendo have been resting on their laurels for too long. Competition can breed some amazing results, each side trying to outdo the other and get the most out of their systems.

The winner = anyone who owns both consoles, oh yeah.

wrecker77

May 31, 2008
Its the same formula disney uses. Make something cute, and exploit the hell out of it. Everey dad with a little girl will end up getting it and update it with dlc so their little brat will stop screaming.

I will get it regardless.

Robert632

May 11, 2009
you know 90%of who by this will be the girlfiends of gamers, and the other 10% will be gamers looking for something to abuse for about a week.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
If they get more "official" games for the EyeToy/The Eye then I'll definately consider picking it up. Until then, I've learned my lesson with the PS2 EyeToy. "EyeToy Antigrav" was fun for a while, but that was the only game the EyeToy had at the time that I knew of.

laserwulf

Dec 30, 2007
So... it's a tech demo dressed up to look like a game. With the processing power of the PS3, it -could- feature advanced "artificial life", like an updated version of Creatures. But then, if they can still make $$$ while keeping the bar lower, why bother?