Blizzard's New MMOG Will Be "Significantly Different" From WoW

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Blizzard's New MMOG Will Be "Significantly Different" From WoW

Is Blizzard worried that its unannounced "next-gen" MMOG will cannibalize its WoW subscription base? No, not so much - COO Paul Sams thinks that the game will feel different enough that people won't feel the need to choose one over the other.

At BlizzCon '09, I had the chance to Wired's Tracey John [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94101-Blizzcon-09-Diablo-III-WoW-Private-Q-A], though, Blizzard's Chief Operations Officer Paul Sams was slightly more forthcoming - yes, there were concerns, but he didn't think it would be a gamebreaking issue:

[blockquote]"I think the (new MMO) is going to be significantly differentiated enough," Sams said. "Such that, you're not going to feel like they're one and the same resulting in that you have to pick or choose," he said.

"If the bad thing that happens to us is that they leave WoW and go to this other thing of Blizzard's, then we'll work through that pain," he added.[/blockquote]

He does have a point - in the end, their money is still going to the same place, so it doesn't make much of a difference. Still, it's interesting to see the claim that the new MMOG will be significantly different. We could have all guessed that it wasn't going to be swords-and-sorcery, but does a simple genre change equal "significantly different"? One might almost wonder if the new MMOG is Blizzard's answer to EVE - a massive, single-shard game.

Sams also touched on some other subjects - would WoW ever go free-to-play, the monetization of Battle.net, the company's views toward petitions, and the responsibilities it held to stockholders as well as to gamers. In an attempt to quash persistent rumors that there would be a subscription to play StarCraft II online, Sams was adamant: "(I)f you buy a copy of StarCraft II, you will be in a position to play the game on Battle.net with no additional cost."

Would World of Warcraft ever eliminate the subscription fee? Sams didn't want to say absolutely never, but it wasn't in the plans for the foreseeable future: "The fact is that the WoW experience is exceptionally expensive for us," with hundreds of people doing nothing more than physical maintenance of servers, and thousands more acting as in-game help - to say nothing of actual development costs. Still, there wasn't anything completely ruling the idea out for the future.

Blizzard has seen its share of petitions [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92818-Fans-Petition-For-StarCraft-II-LAN-Blizzard-Responds] lately - first for the Diablo III art style, then for StarCraft II's LAN - and while Sams said that they wouldn't necessarily change anything, the company did take notice of them. Even so, he cautioned, while it would be easy to get angry about individual changes without seeing the larger picture or how they fit into the full final game, he asked gamers to trust the company, pointing to their track record:

[blockquote]So I will say trust us and be patient. Ask yourselves how many times we have tried something big, where we changed the way you were expecting it, and it wasn't the right decision. How many times has it happened where we completely screwed it up? I would argue that's a pretty small number of times. There's always a reason why. We don't make decisions... we don't take them lightly. We take them very seriously. We know in advance if we should change the art style somewhat here and there, that people are going to be frustrated by it. But if there's a good reason, then we say, "Let's make that move." Ultimately, when everyone gets the clarity on why we really did it, they'll go, "Oh, I see." That's the way we look at it.[/blockquote]

Of course, as John pointed out, Blizzard was a publicly traded company - didn't it have an obligation to its stockholders to make as much money as possible? Sams agreed: Yes, Blizzard was part of a public company, and it had to pay its employees as well as fulfill obligations to stockholders, but he didn't see fulfilling obligations to stockholders and gamers alike as necessarily conflicting ideals, since "our shareholders are not only the people that own stock in our company. There's another whole contingent of people that are also shareholders that don't hold that piece of paper, and that's our players." In the end, since the players are the ones who vote with their pocketbook and pay the shareholders, they're the crucial market: "So it's in the shareholders' best interest and Blizzard's best interest to focus on those gamers. The true shareholders. And when they hold the keys and we give them what they want, they take care of all the rest."

Check out the full interview with Sams at Wired [http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2009/08/blizzard-co-interview/]

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I didn't expect anything else. Blizzard isn't stupid, they won't shoot themselves in the foot by competing with their own game.

My hopes: a PvP oriented sandbox MMO. We'll see, 1 thing is sure, and that's that I'm incredibly curious.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
I'm gonna put my bank on a casual MMO that can be played in short burts by checking up on your status and putting in a few tweaks. Maybe through facebook.

Why else would they be in bed so much with Popcap these days?

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
If they do lose WoW players it's only to another of their games :p
makes no real difference, really. just more moolah for them.

Turtleboy1017

Likes Turtles
Nov 16, 2008
Of course, they can't do anything to harm their WoW fanbase.

However, I do hope that the system does work out well.

Bigeyez

Apr 26, 2009
Honestly I don't believe them. Todays Tuesday, September 1st, 2009 and I'm officially predicting their new mmo will be WoW with a brand new paint scheme and setting. I have serious doubts that Blizzard will abandon the fundamental mechanics WoW has established.

Sure you can paint the car a different color but it's still going to be the same car.

Is this inherently bad? No WoW's awesome. I just doubt their next game will be drastically different like they are trying to say it will be. It'll just be the mechanics of WoW in a new setting with new lore and a new IP.

Crimsane

Apr 11, 2009
Assassinator said:
My hopes: a PvP oriented sandbox MMO. We'll see, 1 thing is sure, and that's that I'm incredibly curious.
I'd love to see a good PvP-oriented MMO as well, but I feel that it's unfortunately rather unlikely, as larger profits tend to lie in the PvE domain.

cobra_ky

Nov 20, 2008
this reminds me of Nintendo claiming that the DS wouldn't compete with the GBA.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Crimsane said:
I'd love to see a good PvP-oriented MMO as well, but I feel that it's unfortunately rather unlikely, as larger profits tend to lie in the PvE domain.
That's where WoW shines, and like I said, I doubt that Blizzard would shoot themselves in the foot with their new MMO.

They won't steal players from their own game, I think they much rather want to reach a whole new market. A PvP oriented MMO, or a sandbox MMO, those 2 mixed together or even an MMOFPS as stated above is in my eyes a lot more likely because it would attract a group of players that they won't attract with WoW. Makes sense from a business perspective.

Rathy

Aug 21, 2008
Crimsane said:
Assassinator said:
I actually disagree with this. If you see the hype(only speaking of hype here) for games like Warhammer or Aion, mainly PvP focused games, its absurd, even if the games don't do so well. If Blizzard were to capitalize on a major PvP MMO and do it right, they'd easily have enough people playing it. Its a huge market that just hasn't seen the right, non buggy game yet.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
I can't wait.
WoW is awesome, and almost anything Blizz touches is turned to gold.
I am confident that it will be quite awesome.

BonerMacTittyPants

Aug 3, 2009
All I can think of is World of Starcraft.
And even if this MMO will be nothing like WoW Bliz is still shooting themselves in the foot.

A single day has 24 hours. Where then will WoW players find the time for another game? They hardly have the time for mundane things like eating or sleeping.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Technically no matter what they will be competing with their own game. Most people don't usually commit to more than one MMOG.

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
oppp7 said:
An MMOFPS? If it doesn't have a sub. fee I'll get it...
blizzard needs to maintain the servers, hire people to be GMs and develope patches. they need to have a sub fee.

Ilovechocolatemilk

Mar 26, 2009
The ultimate solution: Grinding in one game gives benefits to the other game.

That way, you can waste time in one game to get benefits in the other one, allowing you to effectively play two games at once.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Populus89 said:
All I can think of is World of Starcraft.
And even if this MMO will be nothing like WoW Bliz is still shooting themselves in the foot.

A single day has 24 hours. Where then will WoW players find the time for another game? They hardly have the time for mundane things like eating or sleeping.
They've said time and time again that their new MMO is going to be based on a new IP, rather than their etablished four (Those being Warcraft, Starcraft, Diablo and - of course - Lost Vikings.) It's most certainly not going to be World of Starcraft.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
I bet this one will have a sub fee, so Blizzard can say 'Don't worry, you don't have to choose one. You can pay us twice! TWICE!'

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
Odd how they brought up art style. I really do think they think they screwed that up after the lashing they received.