Harmonix to Promote Rock Band 'Bar Nights'

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Harmonix to Promote Rock Band 'Bar Nights'

Realizing that getting people to stand in front of drunk crowds and play plastic instruments is the best form of advertising available, Rock Band creator Harmonix has begun promoting local "bar nights" through its official Rock Band website.

The idea is that by hosting Rock Band nights, bars see "an increase in traffic and sales with their consumers staying longer and spending more on food and beverage."

And, of course, Rock Band sees the sort of fantastic promotion that you only get from reaching out directly to people who have their good judgment already compromised by alcohol.

Once the Rock Band Bar Nights website [http://www.rockband.com/barnights/] is fully operational, Harmonix promises a database that will allow anyone to search for local events.

If simply herding people toward your watering hole isn't enough, Harmonix is also offering bars that register with the site "access to purchase turnkey Rock Band product solutions and early access to Rock Band promotions and offers," an "exclusive music solution offering the full Rock Band music catalogue of over 800 songs" and "direct contact with the dedicated Rock Band Bar Nights support team."

It should be pointed out though, that bars are forbidden from charging people [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/09/01/rock-band-sanctioning-bar-events-planning-central-event-database/] to play Rock Band unless they shell out the cash for the licensing fees. "As a member of Rock Band Bar Nights you will receive a lot of marketing, promotional and operational help but you will have to secure your own ASCAP, BMI or SESAC license for your venue," the site warns.

I guess bar owners will just have to do what they've always done to earn a living: exploit the addictive properties of alcohol and the natural human desire to escape an endlessly depressing reality.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
That is so, so wrong. Imagine a real band being turned down in place for a "band" playing the game instead...

I think the South Park episode got the whole Guitar Hero and Rock Band thing so right, obviously it's ok for fun, but when you get people having more respect for/would rather watch people playing a toy musical instrument than real musicians it becomes rather sad.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
It a great idea, something I was going to try to organize at a local bar. Too bad I'm too lazy and hate the bar scene. Will be one major con, broken instruments. Lets face it neither products controllers are sturdy enough to handle belligerent drunkeness and I doubt would last more then a few nights.

ima420r

Aug 14, 2008
Great idea. I don't hit the bars much these days, but I'd go in for a few drinks and some Rockband. Though it would probably be cheaper to do it at home.

Good point about drunks and instuments. Perhaps you'll be able to bring your own.

lasherman

Mar 11, 2009
There is already a bar my brother goes to in Montreal that does this once in a while, and everyone in the bar can just take turns playing.

Supreme Unleaded

Aug 3, 2009
I could just see someone going up Sober infront of a drunk croud, singing beautifully yet having the croud "boo" him.

Then having a completely wasted guy who can barely stand, sing terrably, then have the croud cheer him on.

I can also see that same wasted person getting into a fight with the sober guy.

Now I would pay to see all of this, too bad im a minor.

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
Awesome.

Also, I doubt that a real band would get turned away, unless that band can't bring in money. These people run businesses, and an interactive karaoke game will bring in money. That's all they care about.

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
xmetatr0nx said:
How many people on this site that play the game are even old enough to get into a bar? Let alone drink? Also i dont know any bar/pub that i go to that would have this.
I am and I'm sure some others are. I can think of several bars that might have a "Rock Band" night in the middle of the week. Basically any bar that already has a karaoke night.

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
Machines Are Us said:
That is so, so wrong. Imagine a real band being turned down in place for a "band" playing the game instead...

I think the South Park episode got the whole Guitar Hero and Rock Band thing so right, obviously it's ok for fun, but when you get people having more respect for/would rather watch people playing a toy musical instrument than real musicians it becomes rather sad.
Someone has never heard of a Kareoke bar. Thats what they are suggesting, but ya know, more than just singing. Trust me, its not gonna be keeping money out of real band's hands.

brabz

Jan 3, 2008
Lots of bars I know of around me do Guitar Hero and Rock Band nights. It's right up there in midweek popularity with trivia nights, karaoke, and Wii nights.

It's usually pretty fun, and I won tickets to a Giants football game(great seats too) for winning a Guitar Hero tournament. Doesn't hurt anyone, and nice to have a different activity than the usual bar standbys or darts, pool, and tv

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
This doesn't sound to different from Playstation nights in good ol' 90's. Substitute Guitar Hero for Tekken and Wipeout 2097 and it's about there. I guess they're going for the same 18-30 age group as well.

The real question is, will the prizes be prizes or more alchohol? Nothing evens things out like getting the good players progressivly hammered.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
This plan gets a major thumbs up from me.

I mean, a bar is supposed to be a friendly place to gather, drink, and be sociable: Rock Band helps with that. It's an extension of the idea of Karaoke Nights, only now people who don't want to sing can join in.