Curt Schilling Eyeballing Ted Kennedy's Senate Seat

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Curt Schilling Eyeballing Ted Kennedy's Senate Seat

Former Red Sox ace and current 38 Studios honcho Curt Schilling is apparently considering a bid for the Senate seat left vacant by the recent death of Massachusetts Senator Edward "Ted" Kennedy.

You wouldn't think, at first blush, that a career as a professional baseball player - even a very good professional baseball player - would prepare a person for the demanding, high-pressure world of federal politics. But I suppose the same could be said about transitioning from pro sports to running a videogame development company and Schilling seems to be doing alright with that, so while he's playing his cards close to the vest for the moment, the possibility of a leap into the political milieu doesn't seem entirely implausible. A special election to fill Kennedy's seat will take place in January.

"While my family is obviously the priority, and 38 Studios is a priority, I do have some interest in the possibility," Schilling wrote on his blog [http://38pitches.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/curt-schilling/general/2009/09/02/potential-senate-candidacy/]. "That being said, to get to there from where I am today, many many things would have to align themselves for that to truly happen. I am not going to comment further on the matter since at this point it would be speculation on top of speculation."

"My hope is that whatever happens, and whomever it happens to, this state makes the decision and chooses the best person, regardless of sex, race, religion or political affiliation, to help get this state back to the place it deserves to be," he added.

While Schilling may be better known for his splitter than his ability to build consensus among disparate factions, he has espoused some rather firmly-held political views in the past. And although he's eyeballing Kennedy's seat, there's very little chance that anyone will mistake him for the late Senator: In the previous election he actively supported the campaign of Republican candidate John McCain and in an interview posted earlier today [http://38pitches.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/curt-schilling/general/2009/09/03/transcript-of-curt-schilling-on-dc/#more-745] he expressed extreme dissatisfaction with the current state of the country.

"The status quo sucks. The status quo is not working. This country is a mess," he said. "I really don't enjoy talking in broad generalities, but there's so much wrong, and so much going on, that we are in desperate need of new blood and people who can walk in and make change and not have connections and ties to the old guard, and the old school, and be beholden to them."

Source: GamePolitics [http://gamepolitics.com/2009/09/03/38-studios-boss-schilling-mulls-bid-ted-kennedy039s-senate-seat]

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Wait, who and who?

I know these people are American, but I seriously don't have a clue.

AkJay

Feb 22, 2009
Well, since he plays Everquest, I'm sure the media will have a field day with him.

cobra_ky

Nov 20, 2008
the problem is that Schilling is a Republican running in Massachusetts and he's not Mitt Romney. He'd make a great governor of Alaska though.

Markgraf

Apr 1, 2009
Heh, as a Yankees fan, I actually approve of his message. Massachusetts really needs someone to break the status quo and get it back on track to economic growth.

Cryo84R

Gentleman Bastard.
Jun 27, 2009
He apparently has not killed a woman in his car while drunk, thus he is unqualified to fill Kennedys seat.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
As somebody who has met and shook hands with Curt, I just have to say this. I like Schilling as a ballplayer, I like the fact that he at least kind of knows what he's talking about in terms of running a game stuido.

But I do not want him as a Senator of my state. No. Way. In. Hell.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
AceDiamond said:
I'll bet they said the same thing about Reagan, but that turned out quite well. Give Schilling a chance; he might surprise you.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
Phsst, not in Massachusetts, and not Ted Kennedy's seat. Maybe in Colorado, or somewhere out there, but not where it's about population density and ideas that make sense for one of America's largest urban markets.

Also, somehow I have a feeling he doesn't mean the Republicans who have been in power the last eight years when he says "the old guard." He means people like Ted Kennedy.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
AvsJoe said:
AceDiamond said:
I'll bet they said the same thing about Reagan, but that turned out quite well. Give Schilling a chance; he might surprise you.
Yeah. If by "quite well" you mean "Sold out our morals and created a shitty economic system that only morons think worked"