Sony Admits "We Were Late" With PS3 Online

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005

Sony Computer Entertainment's president of worldwide studios, Shushei Yoshida, admitted that the company recognizes that it was late to the party in integrating a platform-wide online system for the PlayStation family.

The latest issue of Edge magazine [http://www.edge-online.com/] has its cover feature devoted to the brand-new repackaged PS3 Slim, including an interview with Sony head honcho Yoshida, in which he admits that their competitor Microsoft had beaten them to the punch as far as online functionality was concerned, in both the last generation and this one:

[blockquote]"I think we were late to offer the platform-level support, to make the online functionality work at that level.

"We made the prior decision that you do not introduce the common centralized network names into every experience, so publishers made their own. That was fine at the start, but as more and more games have online functionality you need a unified approach.

"So Microsoft took that approach in the last generation, and maybe that's where people see the difference when they compare Xbox Live and PSN."[/blockquote]

It might be hard to remember back to the last generation, but there was once a time when not all online games went through Xbox Live or the PlayStation Network - when many games and companies had their own proprietary networks and matchmaking services. Now, all of these newfangled systems, with their friends lists and their Twitterbooks... why, back in the day, we had to add all of our friends manually for each game! Uphill in the snow! Er, sorry, got a bit off track.

Yoshida says that the company is looking to correct that as they move forward with things like the recent 3.0 firmware update - and that they might be looking to partner up with social networking giant Facebook: "Something like 300 million people already have accounts on Facebook. Why should we ignore that?"

(Via CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=222562])

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
I wouldn't feel bad if I were them. Nintendo was late to the party as well, and Microsoft didn't really get there first with the 360. The earliest online games were all on the PC, after all.

But it's nice to see them admit it. Doesn't sound so pompous when Mr. Ridge Racer isn't saying it.

j0z

Apr 23, 2009
At least they admit it. And PSN isn't a bad network at all, just doesn't have the brand recognition that LIVE does.
Plus, I hope Sony and Facebook team up, I can't do anything on facebook from my PS3, except look. At least on Myspace it reverts to the mobile interface.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Pendragon9 said:
I wouldn't feel bad if I were them. Nintendo was late to the party as well, and Microsoft didn't really get there first with the 360. The earliest online games were all on the PC, after all.

But it's nice to see them admit it. Doesn't sound so pompous when Mr. Ridge Racer isn't saying it.
To be honest the Wii and DS's online systems are pretty annoying,, all these friend codes, wii number, points etc. My last point counts for the 360 aswell. it might be 1 cent to a point but with £s it's a lot more complicated, they should just use real currency like PSN does.
CantFaketheFunk said:

Uphill in the snow!
Was it uphill both ways?

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Bah, everyone was late to the party, PCs have had online for ages after all. I will fully admit, though, that Microsoft were the first to initialize online play for consoles. Either way, I like PSN, I personally think it easily compares to LIVE and it's free to boot.

Cryo84R

Gentleman Bastard.
Jun 27, 2009
PSN still doesn't have all the functionality of live. Doesn't take a fanboy to see that.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Camarilla said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
centralised(sic)
Hate to be 'that guy', but what's with the (sic)? Edge is a UK magazine, and that's how we spell it.
Yeah, but we go with American spellings here, so.

...eh, I'll just change it.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Pendragon9 said:

Uhh... The first PC unified network for many different games would probably be Steam, but even then the Steam network is still a proprietary service for Valve. Most non-Valve games on Steam use their own matchmaking system. As far as I can tell, even to this day there is no PC based online service that covers a large majority of online games from different developers or publishers.

Microsoft with X-Box Live was the first to offer the service to the majority of the games on the platform, which is what Yoshida is referring to. There's still no doubt that the PC was the pioneer in online games. As far as unified matchmaking services go, Microsoft was the leader of the pack with X-Box Live.

level250geek

Jan 8, 2009
Jumplion said:
Bah, everyone was late to the party, PCs have had online for ages after all. I will fully admit, though, that Microsoft were the first to initialize online play for consoles. Either way, I like PSN, I personally think it easily compares to LIVE and it's free to boot.
You're certainly right about PCs having online play back when consoles were just figuring out decent offline multiplayer for more than two people, but there still lacked a single, easily-navigable centralized platform for all PC games. XBL provided that for X-Box gamers--a one-stop shop for all your online multiplayer needs.

sln333

Jun 22, 2009
Sure they were late, but at least they tried. There's still plenty of room to improve and in the next generation they could be on par with Live.

Soulwolf

Jul 20, 2009
In my opinion, the PSN and Wii still can't beat Xbox LIVE, which is still behind and probably will never catch up to PC gaming. The PSN is barely farther than where LIVE was on the original Xbox where every game had its own environment and you could probably cross game text, but not send voice messages on some games. Not that I'm knocking the PSN or early LIVE, but PC had Vent, HLXstats on Steam games, and various other games and platforms beat consoles. I love my PS3 and Xbox 360 and my gaming PC, I just wish I could do more with the two console platforms.

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
j0z said:
At least they admit it. And PSN isn't a bad network at all, just doesn't have the brand recognition that LIVE does.
It's not like it's just missing the brand name. The features on LIVE far outdo PSN.

I'm surprised we call the Wii an online service though-Barely any games utilise it. However, it has to be said-It's not like Nintendo even need the online service with the amount of sales they get.

dudeman0001

Jul 8, 2008
well, the last firmware update was pretty fucking awesome, I hadnt heard anything about what it had in store so NATURALLY when I saw the new startup screen I made a mess in my pants and.

Robert632

May 11, 2009
it's funny cos i just watched a commercial that literally stated the PS3 is a god sent down from heaven to bless those who get one.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
level250geek said:
Jumplion said:
You're certainly right about PCs having online play back when consoles were just figuring out decent offline multiplayer for more than two people, but there still lacked a single, easily-navigable centralized platform for all PC games. XBL provided that for X-Box gamers--a one-stop shop for all your online multiplayer needs.
and Steam was before that and Gamespy before that

i do think that the PS2 had some online games and so did the Gamecube but there wasn't many of them