Capcom Not Working on Classic Fighting Games at the Moment

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Capcom Not Working on Classic Fighting Games at the Moment

Capcom has brought forth quite the revival of the classic fighting game in recent times, but the developer claims that it doesn't have anything from its old stable in the works at the moment.

Fighting games have made something of a comeback in recent months, with Capcom's Street Fighter IV leading the charge along with its re-releases of Super Street Fighter II Turbo and Marvel vs. Capcom 2. So one would expect that Capcom has more in the works for its stable of classic fighting franchises. Darkstalkers, perhaps?

That's not the case right, however, according to Capcom's Christian Svensson. "I'll be honest: right now we have nothing in development, but we've been pleased with how our fighting games have performed and our re-releases have performed, so I'd be shocked if we didn't explore that further," Svensson said on VG247's podcast [http://www.vg247.com/2009/09/04/capcom-no-more-historic-fighters-in-development/].

The problem is that Capcom has stacked so many fighting game releases in such a short timeframe that it's time to give these games a little space to flex their muscle. "We had HD Remix, Street Fighter IV, MvC2, we'll have Tatsunoko in the pipeline, and we have who knows what coming that we can't talk about yet, but suffice to say there's been a lot of fighting activity out of Capcom in the last year-and-a-half, and we probably need to give all of those products a little room to breathe and perform before we do some more," he said.

This all comes as somewhat contrary to the continuous hinting [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92539-Capcom-Japan-Hints-At-Street-Fighter-IV-Sequel] from the Japanese Street Fighter IV staff that a "Street Fighter IV Dash," which is the Japanese word for Street Fighter IV: Championship Edition, is in the works. I have little doubt that Capcom is going to stop producing fighting game content, but Svensson's comments make me think that maybe we'll have to wait a little longer to see more of it.

matsugawa

Mar 18, 2009
While it's sad they're not releasing new content right away, it is true that Capcom does have rather a large stockpile of material to tap into. In fact, I'd love to see them release Namco x Capcom. Yes, it's a PS2 game, but porting it to Wii or at least to PSN and XBox Arcade would be no great task. If nothing else, it would be far less of a legal nightmare than Tatsunoko.