DeathSpank Trailer Looks Promising

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
DeathSpank Trailer Looks Promising

If you don't know what DeathSpank is, you need to, right now.

Ron Gilbert is sort of a big deal. He was a key figure in the creation of Maniac Mansion, Monkey Island, and the SCUMM engine many of those LucasArts adventure games ran on. His newest project with Hothead Games, DeathSpank, has been hyped for a while, and thanks to a ton of exclusive coverage over at 1up [http://www.1up.com/do/minisite?cId=3175824] we now know more details. Plus, the game's first trailer showing gameplay has been released (included to the right), and it looks great.

According to 1up's preview [http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?pager.offset=1&cId=3175829&p=], DeathSpank is a cross between Monkey Island and Diablo, combining hack-and-slash-and-loot gameplay with comedic puzzles. Players will need to chop through skeletons while searching for items such as unicorn poop and taco ingredients. DeathSpank isn't confirmed for any particular platforms just yet, strangely enough, but considering it is being developed at Hothead, creators of Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness, the PC, PlayStation Network, and Xbox Live Arcade are likely contenders.

Wildrow12

Mar 1, 2009
They had me at "DeathSpank"

How can you not love a game with a name like that?

Torque669

Apr 21, 2009
Wildrow12 said:
They had me at "DeathSpank"

How can you not love a game with a name like that?
Haha same. Caught my attention.

But it looks quite fun worth a look.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Must... resist... urge to use... hentai joke...

Why am I just hearing about this for the first time? Of course, now I have to buy this game because THAT was amazing.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I choose to feel cautiously optimistic regarding these news. Unfortunately, my computer can't run Penny Arcade: We Thought Having a Huge, Verbose Title Was Very Funny, You Guys so I doubt it can run this.

Is the person narrating in the vid Susan Arendt's evil twin?

AkJay

Feb 22, 2009
I can't believe i haven't heard of this before, this game does sound funny, and is looking rather beautiful, i shall put this on my watch list.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
Looks pretty cool. I'm loving the visual style, very unique - it's like paper cutouts or something.

Apr 28, 2008
That is quite possable the best name for a game since I read about that Badass Rumble game Atlus was working on.

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
Looks fun and all, but it just got me wondering what the heck happened to "Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness" Episode 3?

plastic_window

Jun 29, 2008
That trailer is hilarious. The way that woman builds it up, until finally saying DeathSpank - man, that gets me every time I hear it. Probably the funniest and most stylish trailer I've seen in a while. I dig the art style and the humour and the gameplay seems fine and functional from this trailer.

I am interested! Ron Gilbert, please tell me more! But not too much...