Women 25+ Dominate PC Gamer Demographic

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Women 25+ Dominate PC Gamer Demographic

Media analysis firm Nielsen found that the largest demographic of PC gamers was women ages 25 and up, Wii owners play videogames the least, and Xbox 360 and PS3 owners don't watch much TV.

I'll admit that as a rather fervent PC gamer who happens to be both male and under 25, the news that PC gaming was dominated by women over 25 initially caught me off guard ... until I realized that Nielsen's comprehensive "State of the Gamer" report counts anybody who uses a computer to play games - any type of game. When you look beyond BioShock and Dawn of War II to count Bejeweled, Peggle, and old classics like Snood, it's not hard to see how the demographic swings the way it does. No surprises then to see that the old standard Solitaire is the most-played PC game, with 17 million players in December 2008. My mom plays Solitaire, for cryin' out loud!

Indeed, it's trends like the broadening PC gaming demographic or the increasing penetration of new platforms like mobile phones (helloooo, iPhone [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90766-Games-Dominate-iPhone-App-Charts]!) that are making videogames recession-resilient if not quite recession-proof. Yeah, we've all heard the stories before of retirement homes and hospitals picking up Wiis ... it just turns out that they don't play them quite so often.

Unlike the (comparatively) unpopular GameCube, the Wii is selling like crazy. Like its predecessor, though, the Wii is the least frequently played console of the generation: Both consoles have the lowest percentage of active users, and the fewest average play sessions of their respective console generations.

Unsurprisingly, the report found that the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 were the consoles of choice for the hardcore crowd - with the PlayStation 3 having an older userbase on average (counting those who solely use a PS3 or a 360). In an interesting trend, Nielsen classifies PS3/360 owners as "medium" to "light" television watchers, as opposed to last generation, where Xbox and PS2 owners were "heavy" TV-philes.

Nielsen classifies households earning more than $75,000 annually and 12-17 year old males as the "most active" gamers.

(Via Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=23106])

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
If they're counting Solitaire as a game in this demographic, I really don't think it weights heavily; I could have predicted this outcome with the games they're including.

Aqualung

Mar 11, 2009
Hmm.. I rarely play my Wii and I only watch TV while eating dinner.. makes sense. Although the women 25+ thing made me laugh; just picturing a load of grannies playing Diablo.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Aqualung said:
Hmm.. I rarely play my Wii and I only watch TV while eating dinner.. makes sense. Although the women 25+ thing made me laugh; just picturing a load of grannies playing Diablo.
Don't. Cross. The. Grey. Patrol! ;)

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Aqualung said:
Imagine being sniped online and hearing a wizened old voice say "Boom, headshot"

Yegargeburble

Nov 11, 2008
SomeBritishDude said:
Aqualung said:
Imagine being sniped online and hearing a wizened old voice say "Boom, headshot"
At that point, my head would explode.

Aqualung

Mar 11, 2009
SomeBritishDude said:
Aqualung said:
"Boom, headshot! You darn kids, with your hop-scotch, and your hoola-hoops, and your new age music! Ptew!"

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Aqualung said:
SomeBritishDude said:
Aqualung said:
"Boom, headshot! You darn kids, with your hop-scotch, and your hoola-hoops, and your new age music! Ptew!"
"Pwned, sonny"

Kogarian

Feb 24, 2008
Damn. Now every little kid who plays online is going to ask, "HeY, fagGotz. Any of u a hot MILF?" every time a new game starts.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Kogarian said:
Damn. Now every little kid who plays online is going to ask, "HeY, fagGotz. Any of u a hot MILF?" every time a new game starts.
Again, technically, the Grey patrol most likely fit into this group.... ;)

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
I find it fairly accurate about me. Own a PS3 and don't watch a lot of television. Probably because most of the shows are campy teen dramas, lame Americanized Britcoms, or just crap in general.

Kogarian

Feb 24, 2008
Doug said:
Kogarian said:
Again, technically, the Grey patrol most likely fit into this group.... ;)
See, the bad thing is that I don't get the reference. What game is the Grey patrol from? Or is it a clan?

(It's kind of sad that I have to ask this.)

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
It's a shame I have no interest in old women, then.
(comparatively old, I mean)

Anyway, Solitare is the devil.
Fact.
Vista solitare, to clarify.

"You have played 1156 games.

You have won 39 games.

Your win percentage is: too low for me to care, you stupid..."

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
Heh. Heh. You lost at Solitare?
*snrk*
Just kidding. *pats*
Sh...shut up!

At least I'm halfway decent at Fantastic Contraption! And, and, and, I can... uh...

Fuck. I'm a mediocre gamer.

Oh! I can beat you at Smash brothers! Maybe... can I use Lucas? *cries*

runedeadthA

Feb 18, 2009
I'm a pc gamer and I almost never watch T.V, even during dinner (my sisters usually have the remote) The only time I even glance at it is in the morning where it gives me something to stare at while I wait for my brain to turn on.

As for women being the largest number? well my granny plays boggle on her computer alot but apart from that I can only think of 2 other females that I know of who play any sort of games.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Aqualung said:
SomeBritishDude said:
Aqualung said:
I can dance all day, young man! In my day we barely got 56k internet, let alone lag!

...Too much?

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
Flying-Emu said:
MaxTheReaper said:
Heh. Heh. You lost at Solitare?
*snrk*
Just kidding. *pats*
Sh...shut up!

At least I'm halfway decent at Fantastic Contraption! And, and, and, I can... uh...

Fuck. I'm a mediocre gamer.

Oh! I can beat you at Smash brothers! Maybe... can I use Lucas? *cries*
*laughs*
There, there...
Yeah, but I'll still beat you with Link.
EDIT:
runedeadthA said:
As for women being the largest number? well my granny plays boggle on her computer alot but apart from that I can only think of 2 other females that I know of who play any sort of games.
That's because all of the cute girls hang out with me.
Oooooh...burn.
...Sorry, my funny is dead today.
It really is.

You didn't burn him at all. If anything he was lightly toasted.