Arkham Asylum Pirates Get a Gimpy Batman

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Arkham Asylum Pirates Get a Gimpy Batman

Did you illegally download a cracked version of Arkham Asylum for the PC? Hope you enjoy playing with a Batman who has conveniently forgotten some of his moveset, rendering the game unbeatable.

Do you know what I love? Creative DRM. Any developer can throw in a mandated online check, or give you a limited number of installs, or something boring like that, but then you have developers with a cruel sense of humor who make it so that pirates have their genitals attacked by ill-tempered ferrets, and the ferrets are on fire. That's going above the call of duty right there.

Apparently, one of said developers is Rocksteady Studios, creators of critical darling Batman: Arkham Asylum. Pirates who have illegally acquired the PC version of the game will find themselves playing the game with a Batman who has apparently forgotten how to use his moves, notably the glide-jump. In an amusing little thread on the Eidos forums [http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=95030], one pirate came to innocently report a bug, claiming that instead of gliding when the appropriate input was given, the Dark Knight would instead just spread his wings and fall to his death in poison gas.

Quoth an Eidos admin in response:

[blockquote]The problem you have encountered is a hook in the copy protection, to catch out people who try and download cracked versions of the game for free.

It's not a bug in the game's code, it's a bug in your moral code.[/blockquote]

Since its acquisition of Rocksteady parent Eidos, Square-Enix has announced plans to use similar DRM in its upcoming Final Fantasy XIII, where any attempt to use magic will always result in summoning a rampaging horde of Chocobos to crush the party, the player, and anyone they've ever loved.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
It's not a bug in the game's code, it's a bug in your moral code.
That is truly a fantastic response.
Good on them for the creative use of copy-protection!

Krakyn

Mar 3, 2009
Brilliant. Simply brilliant.

This is the kind of DRM we need. Kudos to you, Eidos.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008

Why can't more devs do this?

Terramax said:
It shouldn't take long for a pirate to re-program it to include all the original moves.
I do agree with this unfortunately, however it does waste your average pirates time, so all is well for now.

Also

CantFaketheFunk said:
Since its acquisition of Rocksteady parent Eidos, Square-Enix has announced plans to use similar DRM in its upcoming Final Fantasy XIII, where any attempt to use magic will always result in summoning a rampaging horde of Chocobos to crush the party, the player, and anyone they've ever loved.
Hilarious. Though wait, what does this mean? DRM for console titles? Because there's no PC version...right?

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Wow. there should be more games made like that.
I'm glad they did that, and caught a pirate reporting their trick 'bug' :p

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
It shouldn't take long for a pirate to re-program it to include all the original moves.

Not that I honestly care too much. I played the demo. It sucked. If anyone lacks a moral code, it's Eidos for releasing such an un-enjoyable pile of rubble.

erikvduyn

The worst at Linux
Apr 2, 2008
Fuck it if I get in trouble for mentioning warez, but there is a fix out for it, partially rendering this useless.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
An interesting approach, I would make the disk expload if u tried to crack it, thus ruining your computer

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
erikvduyn said:
Fuck it if I get in trouble for mentioning warez, but there is a fix out for it, partially rendering this useless.
Mentioning, no. Promoting, yes.

ChocoFace

Nov 19, 2008
if they do that to Final Fantasy XIII, i'd pirate it just so i could see that herd of chocobo kill everything.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
To repeat what terramax said above, it should take pirates all of about a day to release a fix for it through the torrents.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
ChromeAlchemist said:
Terramax said:
I do agree with this unfortunately, however it does waste your average pirates time, so all is well for now.
OMG you quoted me before I even posted my post! You sir are awesome.
(p.s. I do know you re-edited your post)

MR.Spartacus

Jul 7, 2009
That's beautiful absolutely beautiful. Everyone should do something like this. Sure it won't stop pirates but at least it'll make buying the game the better choice. As apposed to Spore style DRM which actually inspired more pirating.