Google Maps' Worldwide Monopoly Game Starts Tomorrow

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Google Maps' Worldwide Monopoly Game Starts Tomorrow

Internet titan Google and board-game magnate Hasbro have teamed up to launch an ARG-esque version of Monopoly that uses the entire Earth itself (via Google Maps) as a board.

Oh, Monopoly. I'd say that it's one of the most time-consuming board games in the world if I hadn't seen the Themis team learning how to play Arkham Horror the other night, but it's still up there. Now, though, Google and Hasbro are bringing everybody a version of Monopoly that you can play from your chair at home - without ever arguing who gets to be the car and who has to be the thimble.

Monopoly City Streets [http://www.monopolycitystreets.com/] will give players the chance to become the most powerful (virtual) real estate magnate in the entire world. Would-be tycoons are given $3 million to start the game with, and can buy real-world streets and locations in order to develop them with houses, hotels, skyscrapers, stadiums, and the like.

As in the board game, streets vary in cost, and make Boardwalk and Park Place look like bargains: As Gizmodo notes [http://gizmodo.com/5354503/google-maps-giant-game-of-monopoly-begins-tomorrow], Pennsylvania Ave. (home to the White House) goes for a cool $2 million, whereas the English equivalent, Downing St., will set you back a mere $231,000. That's what, 50 pounds? Maybe 60, even?

The game is scheduled to begin tomorrow, September 9th, so if this tickles your fancy, keep an eye out on the official blog [http://blog.monopolycitystreets.com/].

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
Sounds a like I need to put alot more effort into it. I might try it but not anytime soon.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
As Gizmodo notes [http://gizmodo.com/5354503/google-maps-giant-game-of-monopoly-begins-tomorrow], Pennsylvania Ave (home to the White House) goes for a cool $2 million, whereas the English equivalent of Downing St will set you back a mere $231,000. That's what, 50 pounds? Maybe 60, even?
Don't make me hurt you Funk. We're in this recession together y'kno!

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
I bet there's going to be someone (Me) Who waits for the exact moment of launch to nab Pennsylvania Ave.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Cpt_Oblivious said:
I bet there's going to be someone (Me) Who waits for the exact moment of launch to nab Pennsylvania Ave.
Wall Street sounds more likely to be the first one purchased.

hansari

May 31, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
The game is scheduled to begin tomorrow
I kinda wanna try this, but have the rules been posted anywhere? I imagine there must be crucial changes to creating this MMO style Monopoly game...like instead of rolling dice, how many turns does a person get each day?

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
CantFaketheFunk said:
Oh, Monopoly. I'd say that it's one of the most time-consuming board games in the world if I hadn't seen the Themis team learning how to play Arkham Horror the other night, but it's still up there.
Heh, and that was a relatively short compared to some of the other times.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Cpt_Oblivious said:
I'm gonna nab route 1 in Afghanistan....thats a safe bet right?

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Is this like an MMO boardgame like thing where everyone who plays it plays on the same map or is it that everyone gets there own map and plays solo or with a group? Someone enlighten me cause I'm not quite certain.

Fortesque

Jan 16, 2009
Bah.. some dick wont sell me the roads in my home town. There is only 3 and it a small country town....

Octorok

May 28, 2009
What the hell? I can't buy any street. I can only buy a street already owned by another player. I'm not meaning that every street is bought, there are perfectly vacant large streets that I can't buy.

toapat

Mar 28, 2009
Octorok said:
What the hell? I can't buy any street. I can only buy a street already owned by another player. I'm not meaning that every street is bought, there are perfectly vacant large streets that I can't buy.
same