Sony May Consider Free PSP Dev Kits

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Sony May Consider Free PSP Dev Kits

Sony may consider giving out free PSP development kits to encourage interest in the PSP Minis [http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/PSP/PSPgo/news.asp?c=15020] lineup, but right now it's focused on providing a higher and more consistent level of quality than is currently available on the App Store.

The App Store is a phenomenal, unprecedented success but as it becomes increasingly crowded thanks to its "anyone and anything" approach to developers, it faces a very real risk of collapsing under its own weight. There are currently over 13,000 iPhone games available on the App Store and while much of it is very cheap, players looking for quality titles have a lot of garbage to sift through.

It's a pitfall that Sony wants to avoid when it launches the similarly inexpensive series of "bite-sized" games called PSP Minis. Zeno Colaco, Sony Europe's head of developer relations, said the company wants to properly support PSP developers, which will result in a smaller but more consistent selection for gamers.

"Right now, we're looking for a good portfolio of games. Unlike with the App Store, we're looking to support everyone that develops for us, instead of leaving developers out in the wilderness. We're not immediately interested in giving developers free access and no help," he said in an interview with Develop [http://www.develop-online.net/features/606/QA-Sony-on-PSP-Minis].

"There are dangers in having total open access; having six thousand applications where probably only thirty are discovered by the consumer," he continued. "Some of the developers working on the App Store and PSP Minis tell us that they prefer our approach because they get more visibility."

While Sony has no intention of matching the sheer number of games on offer at the App Store, Colaco said the company would have a good selection of PSP Minis available before the holidays. "We're not short of product. Right now we're working with about 60 developers with about 50 games coming out before Christmas," he said. "I think we're going to launch with about 15 titles."

And hope remains for so-called "hobby developers" who'd like to see what they can do with the PSP but aren't interested in laying out the cash required for a dev kit. "Further down the line, we may investigate a totally free model or supported model," he said.

Ipsquiggle

Sep 8, 2009
Argh! App store, XBLA, PSN, whatever... The key to helping good games get discovered is not tighter quality control; that can, at best, slow the growth of the system, and at worst sink it.

No, the trick to helping games/apps get discovered is better discovery mechanisms. (OMG~!)

I mean, seriously. XBLA finally got star ratings? Where's the social features where I can recommend games to my friends and publish lists of my favourite games? Where's the "Users who liked X also liked Y"? Where's the tagging system? Where's filtering by friends ratings?

There will always be crap. Give us the tools to bury it!

Deathsong17

Feb 4, 2009
Ipsquiggle said:
Argh! App store, XBLA, PSN, whatever... The key to helping good games get discovered is not tighter quality control; that can, at best, slow the growth of the system, and at worst sink it.

No, the trick to helping games/apps get discovered is better discovery mechanisms. (OMG~!)

I mean, seriously. XBLA finally got star ratings? Where's the social features where I can recommend games to my friends and publish lists of my favourite games? Where's the "Users who liked X also liked Y"? Where's the tagging system? Where's filtering by friends ratings?

There will always be crap. Give us the tools to bury it!
This man speaks the truth!

Anyway, assuming they release the free Dev Kit, would it be available on all models of PSP?

hansari

May 31, 2009
Ipsquiggle said:
You speak nonsense!!! Get your head out of the clouds boy. Your dreams will never come true!!

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
I think its a good stance for Sony to take. However, "quality over quantity" is a stance that they have already taken in the past... the problem is, they then also put a 'quality' price tag on the console itself. Case in point? The PSP Go that is making so much rave at the moment. Fair enough you make small games that are bite-sized and affordable, but if you make the console too expensive, nobody will care. Drop the price of the Go, dammit!

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
As a game developer in-training, all I can say is:

[HEADING=1]WHOOOOOOOOOO![/HEADING]

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
On the one hand, it's Sony. On the other hand, as an aspiring game designer, I feel this is a good thing for independent developers. Of course on the one hand again, I forsee the App Store problem (i.e. crap gets in a lot more than it should) magnified at least two-fold.

Simalacrum said:
Drop the price of the Go, dammit!
No see now they're justifying it retroactively by packaging Rock Band Unplugged with it. Cause everybody wants to be a one-man band right?

Guys?

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Pendragon9 said:
Free dev kits? Sounds iffy. Wonder what the catch is.
They probably won't go with the completely free model. I'd say they'd probably lean for a system similar to Microsoft's XNA fees ($99 a year)