Nigerian Government Demands Sony Apologize for PS3 Ad

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Nigerian Government Demands Sony Apologize for PS3 Ad

Incensed by a recent PlayStation 3 ad that made light of stereotypical Nigerian web scammers, the government of Nigeria has demanded an apology from the company.

At roughly the 12 second mark, the ad in question (embedded at right) contains the phrase, "Bernie, you can't believe everything you read on the internet, otherwise I'd be a Nigerian millionaire by now."

The Nation, a Nigerian newspaper, succinctly explains the government's position [http://thenationonlineng.net/web2/articles/17473/1/Fed-Govt-demands-apology-from-Sony-over-advertorial/Page1.html] on the spot:

The advertisement currently circulating on youtube.com and facebook.com and other international websites creates the impression that Nigerians hardly do genuine business.

The government sees Sony's action as an attempt to undermine the country's global business interest.

I can definitely see where Nigerians might be offended by being portrayed as unscrupulous scam artists, but at the same time I think the government's attempt to wring an apology out of Sony is at least partially motivated by the company's stature. Government officials no doubt realize it would be a PR coup to have a gigantic multinational like Sony publicly state that not everyone from Nigeria is out to swipe your hard-earned cash -- a reputation the entire country has been suffering with for years now, thanks to a handful of spammers.

The only question now is how valuable the territory is to Sony. Despite a statement from Nigeria's Information and Communication Minister Dora Akunyili saying, "It is on record that Sony Corporation has operated in Nigeria since independence and has enjoyed tremendous patronage from Nigerians at home and abroad," the country of Nigeria must be a drop in the financial bucket compared to Japan and the United States. It may just not be worth it for Sony to expend the nearly insignificant resources it would take to offer an official statement of apology.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
Oh noes, the tiny country of Nigeria doesn't like a commercial.

That's it, Sony is going to go under.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I think the next logical step is...

... for Sony to make an advert showing the Nigerian government, running web scams to increase it's budget!

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
JaredXE said:

Yeah it's not like Nigeria is the 8th most populous country in the world or anything, or twice the size of California

Oh wait, it's both those things.

Anyway I'm not sure what to make of this. I mean yeah it was a dig but on the other hand...Nigerian Banking Scams

Also it's incredibly hard to get Sony to ever admit they fucked up. Hell when people called them on the bullshit that was "All I want for Christmas is a PSP" they said "You caught us. I guess our dialogue was too funky!"

Jun 6, 2009
JaredXE said:

Nigeria isn't a small country, it's got at least 140 million people there, and it's an oil producing country.

But yea it is really petty that it's government is more concerned about this than it's own country.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
Honestly, I find the stupid 'PlayStation' bit at the end of their adverts more annoying than their casual racism.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
It was nice to see a big company show some tongue and cheek humor.

I laughed. That's all I care about.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Pfft. Nigeria has to complain about a small thing in a commercial that I rarely see on TV? Come on now. It's just a vague joke nobody should ever take offense to. Hell, when I think of banking scams, I think of someone in Iraq. Are they gonna want me to apologize?

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Casual Shinji said:

Man if only Union Carbide had cracked some jokes after poisoning that river, things would've gone over a lot smoother.

And no, I'm not comparing the two incidents, I'm just saying that focusing on comedy might not be the best worldview. Personally I'm not even sure Sony should apologize for this.

Ghost8585

Jul 21, 2009
AceDiamond said:
JaredXE said:

Yeah it's not like Nigeria is the 8th most populous country in the world or anything, or twice the size of California

Anyway I'm not sure what to make of this. I mean yeah it was a dig but on the other hand...Nigerian Banking Scams

Also it's incredibly hard to get Sony to ever admit they fucked up. Hell when people called them on the bullshit that was "All I want for Christmas is a PSP" they said "You caught us. I guess our dialogue was too funky!"
You are on EVERY thread bashing Sony. Shouldn't you be doing something worthwhile?

scnj said:
Honestly, I find the stupid 'PlayStation' bit at the end of their adverts more annoying than their casual racism.
Racism? My god give me a break.

OT: Fuck Nigeria. I have been desperately seeking new work and about a third of job posting are from scammers trying to get my address and such.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Ghost8585 said:
AceDiamond said:
JaredXE said:

You are on EVERY thread bashing Sony. Shouldn't you be doing something worthwhile?
Yeah I guess I should go get my degree oh wait I already did that. Wow I am so sorry I don't share your grand vision of the future where Sony is king or whatever. I wasn't even being that mean. I guess we should just pretend Sony is a company that hasn't ever done anything monumentally stupid or misleading. And we've always been at war with Eastasia.

Better question is how in the world you can pretend to have some sort of lifestyle high ground on me when you yourself are on an internet forum, telling someone to get a life. (irony, lol)

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
AceDiamond said:
Casual Shinji said:

Man if only Union Carbide had cracked some jokes after poisoning that river, things would've gone over a lot smoother.

And no, I'm not comparing the two incidents, I'm just saying that focusing on comedy might not be the best worldview. Personally I'm not even sure Sony should apologize for this.
Sony seems so constricted by everyone's(sometimes just sometimes unjust)complaints that they never have the opportunity to mellow themselves out. I think they just tried to shed their expensive image with this ad aswell as presenting themselves as a mellow company.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
Ghost8585 said:
scnj said:
Racism? My god give me a break.
Casual racism seemed to be the best way to describe it. Sorry if I offended you.

AkJay

Feb 22, 2009
Dear Nigeria, we are sorry that your shit country is full of corrupt government and scammers looking to steal from innocent people.

- Sony

Halfbreed13

Apr 21, 2009
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
AkJay said:
Dear Nigeria, we are sorry that your shit country is full of corrupt government and scammers looking to steal from innocent people.

- Sony
and this

Aardvark

Sep 9, 2008
Sony should say they would offer 150 million US DOLLARS restitution, but the nigerian government needs to provide money for legal costs and administration fees first, to the tune of a few mill.