Old-Time Rockers Don't Like Rock Band

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Old-Time Rockers Don't Like Rock Band

Rock dinosaurs Bill Wyman and Nick Mason have waded into the debate over music games, saying that games like Guitar Hero [http://www.rockband.com] are a big reason why so many kids aren't interested in learning how to play a real instrument.

"It encourages kids not to learn, that's the trouble," Wyman, the former bassist for the Rolling Stones, told the BBC [http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8242749.stm]. "It makes less and less people dedicated to really get down and learn an instrument. I think is a pity so I'm not really keen on that kind of stuff."

Ironically, Wyman was speaking from Abbey Road Studios, best known for its association with the Beatles, where he was recording a Beatles cover for a charity album. His comments came on the eve of the release of The Beatles: Rock Band [http://www.thebeatlesrockband.com/], which hit store shelves today.

His comments were echoed by Nick Mason, the drummer for Pink Floyd, who described music games as "interesting new developments" but made it clear they weren't his cup of tea. "It irritates me having watched my kids do it - if they spent as much time practicing the guitar as learning how to press the buttons they'd be damn good by now," he said.

Despite his irritation, however, Mason is pragmatic enough to recognize the value of videogames as a powerful new channel for music sales, saying that Pink Floyd would "consider" doing a Guitar Hero or Rock Band game in the future, as bands like Metallica, Aerosmith and The Beatles have already done. "I think everyone's looking at new ways of selling the music because the business of selling records has almost disappeared," he said.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
The fact is without Rock Band and Guitar Hero [b/]MOST[/b] kids today wouldn't be interested in Rock, at all.

EDIT: Just thought I'd highlight the MOST bit. Just to get it into peoples heads. That's MOST, not ALL. Notice the difference in length, letters and meaning of the statement as a whole. Now please stop quoting me.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Man, I wish I was a celebrity...just so I could pull statistics out of my ass. I'd be making stuff up like Ron Burgundy...
Malygris said:
"It irritates me having watched my kids do it - if they spent as much time practicing the guitar as learning how to press the buttons they'd be damn good by now," he said.
Learning how to read notes requires the same effort it takes as pressing a color right when it comes on screen?

Dudeakoff

Jul 22, 2009
On the contrary, Guitar Hero and Rock Band actually encourage kids to learn real instruments.

EDIT: here's some source
http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/gadgets_and_gaming/article5266959.ece

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Or because, you know, most of us have no interest in actually learning a musical instrument and use it as a glorified Kareoke Machine...

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
SomeBritishDude said:
The fact is without Rock Band and Guitar Hero most kids today wouldn't be interested in Rock, at all.
It's debatable. I'd more likely attribute the fact that they love the music as part of the reason they got it in first place, outside those Christmas-time whiners.

Dudeakoff said:
On the contrary, Guitar Hero and Rock Band actually encourage kids to learn real instruments.
Outstanding moment of hilarity when some kid brought in a guitar case to class and had one of those plastic ukuleles in it.

Feb 13, 2008
Malygris said:
"It irritates me having watched my kids do it - if they spent as much time practicing the guitar as learning how to press the buttons they'd be damn good by now," he said.
They'd also be learning to shag groupies, snort coke, explain where the STD's come from, wreck hotel rooms, watch their contemporaries die from overdoses, and other stuff that Guitar Hero just can't prepare you for.

Ironic

Sep 30, 2008
I can attest to ACTUALLY STOPPING TO LEARN GUITAR because of guitar hero. I mustered up the willpower to really try at my guitar at the same time I was given the game for my birthday, I played my guitar for a week, then played GH.

I had way too much fun and i didn't callous my fingers.

:'( (crying for what could have been)

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
I actually have to agree with this. After seeing several friends of mine put a LOT less time into their instruments since rock band has come out, it's been a pretty big disappointment. Really, though, that quote is so true. If people put the same time and energy into a real instrument as they did getting expert on whatever song, they'd have the potential to be pretty amazing musicians.

SomeBritishDude said:
The fact is without Rock Band and Guitar Hero most kids today wouldn't be interested in Rock, at all.
I keep seeing this ignorant, ignorant statement time and time again. The bottom line is, before rock band and guitar hero, kids were still into rock and roll. Hell, even RIGHT before. You know why? Because music is an entirely different beast. People always have and always will be into music, and games like this give such a minor contribution, it's not even worth mentioning. Sure, there are artists they never would have listened to before in the mix. At least, not for a few more years. Everyones musical taste expands at some point. Using such a gimmicky way of attracting new fans isn't always a good thing, though.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I have a friend who plays all the GH and RB games and he bought an electric guitar. He still spends more time on the damn game though.

The_root_of_all_evil said:
Malygris said:
They'd also be learning to shag groupies, snort coke, explain where the STD's come from, wreck hotel rooms, watch their contemporaries die from overdoses, and other stuff that Guitar Hero just can't prepare you for.
I know! If they're gonna do it they can at least do it right. Although it would be hilarious if those things ended up as mini-games in future releases of the series.

hansari said:
Learning how to read notes requires the same effort it takes as pressing a color right when it comes on screen?
In reality, no. He does have a fair point though, if they did spend the time with a real musical instrument then they'd be on their way at least.

I have nothing against these games myself, as long as nobody acts impressed by anybody who is good at them. When you get people who show more reverence for how good somebody is at pretending to be a musician than being a real one, then you have issues.

MaxTheReaper said:
Also, nobody who is interested in learning to play a real instrument thinks "Man, learning to play guitar would kick ass, but pressing pretty colored buttons is a good substitute!"
I think you are giving people way too much credit. Sure you are feeling ok Max?

Apr 24, 2008
Music games discourage kids from trying the real thing...but shooters encourage kids to try the real thing? Seems we get to claim anything we want without having to carry the burden of proving it. Did you know?...sports games make you fart.

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
Dudeakoff said:
Do they? I have yet to see any convincing arguements/statistics to show this

I also like how Nick Mason is saying that Pink Floyd would consider doing a version of Rock Band, better run that by David Gilmour and Roger Waters first as I dont see them going for it

Laura.

May 30, 2009
I don't think playing GH/RB and playing guitar are mutually exclusive.
You can't substitute the pleasure of making you own music with
PedroSteckecilo said:
a glorified Kareoke Machine...
(which I really like btw!)

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
shadowcode said:
Oh gods, I would absolutely kill for a Pink Floyd Rock Band game...
Ironically I would kill for there not to be such a Rock Band game,

Sep 5, 2009
Considering that the music industry sees a slew of new bands every fortnight that look and sound exactly like every other popular band making records, I say make more Guitar Hero and Rock Band games. Distract little Johnny from picking up a real guitar, learning three chords, and getting any kind of notoriety as a "musician".

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
Played plenty of Rock Band and Guitar Hero, but don't actually own them because of cost. I'd much rather buy and learn to play a real instrument, but again there's the cost factor.