Review: Champions Online

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Review: Champions Online

With great customization comes great complexity.

Read Full Article

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Glad to see an objective review. I agree with pretty much everything you said... but you didn't mention one thing:

Either they fixed it after few months of CB and OB, or you were lucky to NOT have ridiculous amounts of FPS issues and staggering. I've heard they fixed it, but I'm giving the game another month or two to fix bugs.

Other than that - you can be anything you want, everyone you have ever dreamed off... But if it's copywrited (either name or costume, or story as in some cases it might be), prepare to face the Banhammer of Protectron.

ravensshade

resident shadow
Mar 18, 2009
interesting i was thinking about trying this because it sounded great. It still does actually but i think i'll wait sometime.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Wow, sounds like the connection issues didn't make your game unplayable at points (if it's as frequent as it is for me, you would have mentioned it, I'm certain...). You lucky American sod, you. It's worth pointing out that, seeing as the servers are stateside, us poor sods in Europe get shite connection and a bunch of people correcting you when you log on and say "Good afternnon" without adding "for those of us playing GMT!"

It's also worth mentioning that there is currently NO power set that feels "weak", and that they can be put into any combination - my main is currently Martial Arts/Power Armour/Munitions with a bit of Telekinesis thrown in for good measure (well, the heal part of it), and, unlike in some games that would slaughter me for not specializing, I frequently come in the top 10% of damage done, while still being able to keep to a theme.

EDIT - also, being able to play on a 360 controller is awesome - it really helps the feel of the game.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
I am looking foreward to playing this. I still think I'll wait a few months to see where it goes. I don't want another Tabula Rasa on my hands.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Almost good enough to make me try a MMO. But I waste enough time at my computer each day, I don't need another addiction.

Vash108

Jul 18, 2008
I definitely want to try this game. It looks like a lot of fun and the customization is great looking, I wonder what I could come up with.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
Gah, I'm a nut for customization and superheroes, it's just that I don't have time for an MMO right now :(. Can I buy the customization separate or something? :)~

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
Shamus Young said:
I am trying to NOT sign up for this.

Thank you so much John for making it that much harder.
Join us, we have cookies!
MWHAHAHAHAHAH!

maddog015

Sep 12, 2008
The game is a lot of fun. Customizing your powers to fit characters that you may have dreamt up is definitely the best about this game. Having a hard time finding groups, but it is only the beginning. I'm sure it'll get easier as time goes on.

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
I've been having a lot of fun with this lately, playing in a pair of set groups. The speed of combat makes it a nice breath of fresh air compared to most MMO titles.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Crimsane said:
Looks like it's City of Heroes with a few improvements. :/
Few improvements?

Graphics, gameplay, customization (both looks and powers) and more of a "you are the hero!" and less "oh, great, another hero... well, go wait in the line" than in CoH.

Besides, you can't say that making a, let's say, double-wooden-legged mecha lizard that shoots beams from his eyes and breaths poison isn't awesome.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
maddog015 said:
The game is a lot of fun. Customizing your powers to fit characters that you may have dreamt up is definitely the best about this game. Having a hard time finding groups, but it is only the beginning. I'm sure it'll get easier as time goes on.
One thing I found that helped that was joining a supergroup - my current group has something in the region of 150 players, so there's always someone on to team with. From talking to a few of them, I'm fairly certain some of them are from here, actually - own up, who's in The Immortals?

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Is there any difference between this and City of Heroes? I play CoH and I was wondering if it was different enough to warrent trying.

Disembodied_Dave

The Could-Have-Been-King
Feb 5, 2009
008Zulu said:
Is there any difference between this and City of Heroes? I play CoH and I was wondering if it was different enough to warrent trying.
Yeah. There are some similarities, but the two games play and feel very different. Sometimes that's for the better, sometimes not. For example. Currently the teaming system is not a good as the one in CoH, but the combat is much more enjoyable.

Sacell

May 17, 2009
Littaly said:
Gah, I'm a nut for customization and superheroes, it's just that I don't have time for an MMO right now :(. Can I buy the customization separate or something? :)~
You can go here http://www.ugo.com/channels/comics/heromachine2/heroMachine2.asp

Its not for Champion you can still make the hero that you want.