Gaming on the Cheap

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Gaming on the Cheap

Short on cash? No problem. Here are 10 great games that won't break your budget.

Read Full Article

Jon Etheridge

Appsro Animation
Apr 28, 2009
I LOVE Simon the Sorceror! It had a sequel that was great as well. There are so many good free games online.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
I'll point at the software pyramid. Got Bioshock and the three PoP games from the last console gen for a tenner each (with the 3 PoP games being sold as one pack that's 10€), other options include the complete Splinter Cell pack, Company of Heroes, Supreme Commander (including Forged Alliance) and Far Cry all for a tenner each. You'll probably get more value out of most of those games than a newly released 10€ game.

curlycrouton

Jul 13, 2008
Zork!

Oh the joy. I'm going to download that right away. Start reliving some text-based thrills.

Torque669

Apr 21, 2009
Please start doing this more. Like suggest old games you can get for cheap and the like. It would really help people like me with not alot of money to spend on games and when I do I dont know where to use it.

I might try and get a few of these games. So thanks again Escapist.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
Dwarf Fortress isn't mentioned here? I am shocked. Shocked and dismayed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/index.html?curid=7239234#Mods

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

Theres also a tileset if you don't like the ASCII graphics
http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.php

By the way it's free

Edit: It is kind of hard to learn to play. But at least they made farming easier and it looks like they increased the rate at which you get immigrants.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Jon Etheridge said:
I LOVE Simon the Sorceror! It had a sequel that was great as well. There are so many good free games online.
I enjoyed it too, although I never managed to get to the end :( I want to know when they'll bring out Grim Fandigo on Steam! I never got to try that before the Great PaC Adventure Game extinction.

Anywho, I've got a few of these and their pretty darn good. Audiosurf is fun, and Plants vs Zombies will last weeks before you either get tired of it or complete the whole thing a second time.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
I'd suggest adding Cave Story onto this list.

http://www.miraigamer.net/cavestory/

Very fun, very free, shooter-platformer.

EDIT: It also took one guy five years to make this game. And when I say make, I mean he made everything. Including the music player to record this game's tracks. And it's very, very well made.

Geamo

Aug 27, 2008
I was hoping Audiosurf and Plants Vs Zombies would be on there, and they were. Good show.

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
If osmos was just £2 cheaper (IE £5) then i would probarbly buy.

Regarding spelunky I would really like to know how to fix a problem downloading things such as this. I can download some things but spelunky and others full screen, minimise, full screen, minimise ect at an alarming rate until I have no choice but to crash the computer. Is this something to do with vista? I would really like to play spelunky.

brewbeard

Nov 29, 2007
NetHack remains the most in-depth dungeon crawler I've ever played, and it's 100% free. Of course, its graphics are about as good as Dwarf Fortress', having a text-based GUI and all.

Nevyrmoore

Aug 13, 2009
brewbeard said:
NetHack remains the most in-depth dungeon crawler I've ever played, and it's 100% free. Of course, its graphics are about as good as Dwarf Fortress', having a text-based GUI and all.
Ah, but there are versions of Nethack that come with tilesets. I recall having that on my Amiga at some point.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
The Escapist Staff said:
Also, those of you who don't know what a grue is will finally find out.
I had to smirk on this one.
Can't tell how often I read about Grues and being eaten in the dark without having a clue what it was all about.

Heart of Darkness

Jul 1, 2009
Mr Companion said:

Regarding spelunky I would really like to know how to fix a problem downloading things such as this. I can download some things but spelunky and others full screen, minimise, full screen, minimise ect at an alarming rate until I have no choice but to crash the computer. Is this something to do with vista? I would really like to play spelunky.
The newer version of Spelunky (v1.0) isn't a full screen game anymore. Also, are you minimizing the games yourself, or are they doing this on their own? If the latter, it might be a few programs running in the background which cause the game to minimize when playing (like an antivirus or an IM). If the former, just dedicate your time to playing full-screen, and nothing else. Nothing kills Oblivion faster on my laptop than minimizing the game...or shutting the laptop itself.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
I can go out right now down to my local game store and get Resident Evil 4 for £3.

There are bargains everywhere, you don't even have to look that hard.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
I suggest you put KotOR instead of Audiosurf.

I mean, I wasted $5 on that, and it's just an expensive audio player where you can't change the song fast when you want to, and you can't rewind songs.

KotOR is, on the other hand, too awesome.

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
Heart of Darkness said:
Mr Companion said:

The newer version of Spelunky (v1.0) isn't a full screen game anymore. Also, are you minimizing the games yourself, or are they doing this on their own? If the latter, it might be a few programs running in the background which cause the game to minimize when playing (like an antivirus or an IM). If the former, just dedicate your time to playing full-screen, and nothing else. Nothing kills Oblivion faster on my laptop than minimizing the game...or shutting the laptop itself.
Nope, it happens when I try to download the game. Once the download is finished a internet page of unknown origin maximises and minimises constantly. About two times per second. I cannot turn off normally because when I open the start menu a opening window or closing window stops me. I just have to use ctrl alt del and select log off. It makes me annoyed, because it does this with other downloads. About half my attempts to download. Any ideas? I am gonna ask my genius brother, he might solve it. He usually solves this sort of thing.

Heart of Darkness

Jul 1, 2009
Mr Companion said:
Heart of Darkness said:
Mr Companion said:

Nope, it happens when I try to download the game. Once the download is finished a internet page of unknown origin maximises and minimises constantly. About two times per second. I cannot turn off normally because when I open the start menu a opening window or closing window stops me. I just have to use ctrl alt del and select log off. It makes me annoyed, because it does this with other downloads. About half my attempts to download. Any ideas? I am gonna ask my genius brother, he might solve it. He usually solves this sort of thing.
That's....very strange. I've never encountered that on Vista. Ever. It might be a virus, or it could also be a problem with the browser. Try running a virus scan, and see if that turns anything up.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
I'm seconding Audiosurf. I've spent countless of hours playing it, it freaking rocks! Or raps, or swings or grooves. Whatever the flip you want it to ^^